Lets go Hurricane hunting

as I write/fly this a Tropical Depression Five is over Barbados, likely to hit Florida on Monday.
With the updated weather models we might get some realistic challenges and catch some dramatic footage, everybody to post pics here over the WE.
I take the DC-6, which comes close enough to the WC-121 Connies they used for decades as storm chasers.

Meteoblue.com:

Hurricane hunters - Wikipedia

1 Like

Elsa situation @ SAT 1300 Zulu:

circling the white blob south of St. Domingo, 25000ft:

Synchronicity - came in for download today, for those who don’t invest in the DC-6:
Lockheed WP-3D Hurricane Hunters » Microsoft Flight Simulator

NOAA’s Hurricane Hunters - YouTube

Elsa has mellowed down - good for the people living in her path, but this season we will for sure see a Cat 5 and check if/how Asobo models the eyewall. . Adrenaline rush guareanteed.

Lying in wait @ MON 17:20 Zulu over Key West:

Great post! Just downloaded the WP-3D. Ready for hunting. I see it is at the tip of the Keys and slowed down a lot. No other in sight but the season just begins.

And how was the eyewall simulated ?

no eyewall with Cat 1 Elsa, but the season has just started…

My approach into Key West just now. Notice the SEVERE crab… mind you this was with the rudder almost all the way left.

1 Like

Hurricane Ida, over the Gulf of Mexico:

Screenshots:

2 Likes

Facing the hurricane Ida

2 Likes

Deep in Ida, early this morning.

Lightning strike transforms the gloom.

Climbing towards a dawn

Gasping to the cloud top (40,000 feet)

EDIT: Oh dear, yes I forgot my gear…

Why do you have the gear and flaps down at FL400?

That’s an epic timelapse @Steeler2340, very artistic!

Ah…

It was loud and windy and, er, I forgot what with the storm and it being dark… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I usually do - I was just in the moment…

1 Like

… good you didn’t have to pay the fuel bill :wink:

Hi, I’m new to MSFS, using XBOX series X. I heard that if I set my conditions to Live and set the date back, I can re-visit past weather. I tried setting my date/time to 8/29 at noon but did not see the hurricane. Is this possible? If so, is there something else I need to be doing? thx

hurricane larry is in the middle of the atlantic right now