Lightning in mostly sunny skies

I decided to fly from Toronto (Ontario) to Norfolk Virginia this morning in the TBM using live weather / traffic - seeing as it was such a nice day - mostly sunny forecast.

Hopped in the SIM @ CYTZ & was immediately hit with heavy clouds & lots of lightning / thunder… huh??? That’s strange… I thought.

Okay… well I decided to push on hoping the weather would clear out during my journey.

It DIDN’T! … As I proceeded further south of Buffalo the weather slowly closed in around me until I was in complete IMC conditions at FL250 - thankfully I was flying IFR because I couldn’t see a thing the rest of the flight :frowning:

Then a truly scary thing happened… At about 8 minutes out from Norfolk airport and descending though FL140 with zero visibility, both main MFD’s gave out. Nothing I did got them back up & the AP was locked out as well so I was stuck hand flying the TBM at that point.

Somehow, and by the grace of God the center MFD continued functioning so I was able to follow the flight track for the ILS RWY23 approach, tho this was only somewhat comforting as I had no visuals all the way down to below 900ft AGL. I soon realized the backup ADI system seemed to be functioning so I was able to reference it as well - constantly moving my eyes back and forth between the displays, confirming air speed, altitude, flight track, and any signs of outside life - all the while being buffeted by winds, moderate to heavy turbulence, rain, and thunderstorms all around.

It’s was a complete white knuckle landing - one like I have never experienced!

I got the plane down in one piece, and for that I am proud. But I’ll be honest in saying I don’t ever want to go through that again!!!

This may be just a SIM, but for those 7-8 minutes it felt as real as anything…

There was very light scattered rain 40 miles from the airport I was taking off from but you would think tornado sirens were about to go off with all the lightning and thunder at the airport.

1 Like

I noticed this as well, day one, right as the patch first launched. Went to look for a switch to turn off the lightning all together but didn’t find one. :man_shrugging:t2:

I have the same problem too Thunderstorms without cloud sometime :grin: :smile: :grinning:

I have exactly the same issue.

Global warming maybe?

1 Like

they should warn us about these thunderstorm that can lead to epileptic seizures. they flash like every 3 seconds on a mild cloudy day.

Beautifully scenic flight between Skopje and Podgorica. I could literally see the ends of my wings and nothing else.

No idea how they missed this before the last patch went out. At least my game didn’t crash this time.

1 Like

Yes, thunderstorms everywhere !

You can fix it by only flying in countries that don’t seem to have any live weather, like Syria.

I can’t understand it. They published a patch and created so many bugs! Do they test it before they launch it? What is the quality control they make?

I also confirm that there are thunderstorms with very few clouds everywhere in Greece.
I also confirm so many ugly bugs such as the ugly calm waters, the bad quality of anti aliasing, the bad night reflections, so many bugs that I personally refuse to open and fly again, until they fix all of these!

It’s unacceptable for an 70€ game. I think that I bought a beta game, I am a beta tester and I am really mad for this!!!

So i was flying from EKAH, and the weather at EKAH, as of my flight was
Clear. Not much clouds almost no wind according to real METAR. The game loaded in the correct weather. It looked nice. But since yesterday i have gotten Both lightning strikes and thunder from a clear sky?

I have tried restarting. I’ve tried changing the weather to a default one then back to live.
I’ve seen many reports on the weather.

This is just to see if anyone else gets thunder in a clear sky with live weather on.
Also how often does it download the weather?

Yes. I have been experiencing the same thing. And not just a rumble from a distance, but severe over the aircraft. I have had that in Cairo Egypt, a place that rarely experiences these types of storms from what I understand.

1 Like

yes it looks and sounds beautiful imho, unfortunately Asobo screwed up again coz now we have thunderstorms all over the world on almost every flight …

devs, shame on you :-1:t2:

3 Likes

Same here few clouds but thunder like crazy + lightning

Helpful. Have you raised it with zendesk?

1 Like

Yes same here - constant thunderstorms from clear blue skies, it’s really bizarre

Might be worth searching for thunderstroms first?

See this 50+ vote thread already, same issue

and this one
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/thunderstorms-live-weather/287112

1 Like

Yesterday there were a lot of CB formation in the atmosphere in RL above Holland ,Denmark and Germany. But it is rather difficult to predict how much lightning there will actualy be. Of course ther has to be finetuning. But the fact that in FS there were thunderstorms is no fault. But a CB in the summer is not causing the same effect as a CB in autumn in RL. It is effcted by the seawater temerature and the temparature above land. Maybe this will be finetuned when the seassons are implemented in MSFS. Seassonal influence is a rather difficult system to catch in the right algoritms. Then there must be a finetuned temperature sytem whitin the sim taking into account the difference between seawater temp and temps above land.

Thank you, was looking for this, Also voted for this. The more reports the better I guess.

Same for me, its ridiculous.