Line of thunderstorms/thunderstorms not rendering correctly

There is a noticeable lack of accurate thunderstorm activity in MSFS currently. This includes cloud structure, height, and precipitation. Given how impactful thunderstorms are to operations in real-life aviation, a more precise rendition of thunderstorm structure must be implemented into this flight simulator.

I must note that other implementations, such as the weather radar API, greatly depend on MSFS’s capability to render accurate high-altitude precipitation and dense cumulonimbus cloud development, which currently need to be significantly improved. (please upvote)

Here is a recent example of the issue at hand:

Below is the screenshot of how MSFS depicts a current weather system. The crucial thing to note is that this screenshot was taken while cruising at FL240. Most of the clouds were below FL240, as was the precipitation.

The following screenshot shows detailed parameters pertaining to this system. The top altitude of precipitation (echo tops) is FL350/FL400, moving southeast at 21kts, as indicated by the blue text overlay. I’ve marked the approximate location of the MSFS screenshot on the map below.
As you can see, the real-life data shows that this storm system developed much higher into the atmosphere than MSFS live-weather did. It is also important to note that the echo tops do not indicate max cloud height. Cloud heights extend even higher than echo tops and are more difficult to quantify with radar. As an estimate, I’d say the highest portion of the cloud system developed into FL500, drastically different from what MSFS depicted.

This is a recent photo of a multicellular storm similar to this. The cloud structure and height are much different from that of MSFS.

Another similar storm system view from a cruising aircraft in real life. The clouds extend well into the atmosphere, and above the plane. (not my photo)

As I stated, this would significantly increase the usefulness of other wishlist items, such as weather radar and realistic dangerous weather physics. It would create more realistic situational use for weather radar systems in MSFS.

I hope this will be seriously considered, as it would add much more realism and immersion to this platform.
Thank you.

7 Likes