Linear Sensitivity Option for Flight Controls

Those of you who use rudder knows understand that we desperately need an option to lower the sensitively for them. Right now, my curves are set to -75% sensitivity to get anything close to what the real life performance is like. The only option to really lower our sensitivity is to adjust the curves, which is a temporary fix, however, once you apply more than half of the rudder, the sensitivity increases drastically on the high side of the curve which makes it really difficult to maintain rudder centerline during the landing and rollout phases of flight. Being able to have an option to lower the linear sensitivity of the controls (and lower the default rudder sensitivity) would greatly improve the flight experience.

+1 why the hell am i still tokyo drifting down the runway at -75% sensitivity? if i go any lower, i’ll have about 5% usable movement in the pedals before the curve skyrockets to the moon. we don’t need curve adjustments, we need linear sensitivity adjustments. chop chop, microsoft! please and thank you.

4 Likes

@bumpylanding
Wouldn’t a linear reduction imply the loss of flight control authority?
E.g. less rudder available = lower crosswind and sideslip capability.

No, that would be adding a dead zone, I’m referring to lowering the overall linear sensitivity so that when we’re pressing the rudders 2 inches in, it doesn’t try to do a 360 no-scope on the runway.

5 Likes

No. A dead zone doesn’t alter the full deflection.

With a e.g. -70% curve you are also maintaining the ability to fully deflect the rudder, but with a noticeable decreased sensitivity around the center.
This works very nicely with e.g. my T1600M.

How much rudder deflection do you need during the takeoff/landing run?

How is it possible to linear reduce the sensitivity while maintaining the ability to fully deflect the flight controls?

As long as the joystick travel range is smaller than the RW stick/yoke range, there’s IMO no other compromise than to use curves.

1 Like

Your comment really had me thinking about this. So here’s my proposed fix:

In order to reduce the sensitivity, we need to increase the amount of “units” in the sensitivity option in order to reduce the force/input ratio we’re seeing in the game.

So for example, lets say that for each inch I push into my physical rudder pedal, It’s pushing the pedals in-game 2 inches. Microsoft needs to fix it so that for each inch we push on our physical pedals, the pedals in game is going in 1 inch. The current issue is that we’re rolling down the runway post landing and it starts rolling to one side, the moment I push just an inch too much, I hit the high side of the curve and I essentially put myself into the newly FAA-published S-Turns ON the road.

the problem is that at default settings, the pedals are ridiculously sensitive. adding a curve helps, but only to a point. the initial part of the curve is the only usable portion of control before it becomes unwieldly again. once you pass that point of rudder input, the curve skyrockets and sensitivity now becomes an issue again. so, being able to flatten the first part of the curve to a linear-esque input at a lower value than that 45 degree angle at default before it finally curves up near the end of full rudder deflection would seem to help the problem. what it feels like, to me, is there aren’t enough input values in msfs for the axis which translates to more game input at less physical rudder input which is why it feels super sensitive… which it looks like was also stated above

2 Likes

Looks like the way DCS handles joystick curves would be perfect.

1 Like

yes, DCS nailed it imo. that’s what i’m looking for lol.

1 Like

I think I’ve figured out the actual problem, hear me out. I returned the game and am waiting for the fix until I come back.

Simply put, you have the movement of the in-game flight controls and then you have the movement of your input device or the time you are holding down an input device button.

What the game is missing is the sensitivity(speed) of the in-game flight controls, plain and simple. There is no way to adjust the speed at which the yoke or anything moves. If I want the yoke to react slowly to my input, I can not adjust the speed at which the yoke turns. FSX actually has this and this can be seen when you slam the joystick or thumbstick to the right, the yoke will EVENTUALLY get there. In MSFS, if you are using a zero or negative “sensitivity,” maxing out a thumbstick quickly immediately puts the in-game flight control at 100% of its movement faster than a human ever could IRL.

The current “sensitivity” (linearity setting) does nothing more than give a value to the position of the input device. For example, with a negative curve, halfway to the right on your input device means the yoke might be 20-25% through its rotation to the right. That’s all it is, a value to the position of where your joy or thumbstick is.

Don’t even get me started on trying to use buttons to control throttle or trim, it’s all out of whack, really out of whack.

This isn’t an issue with the amount of input values, rather, it has to do with not being able to adjust the speed at which the in-game controls move until they get to your desired input position.

that won’t work at all, it would only make the sim feel laggy (you’re waiting for your input to have a result), which will greatly reduce the realism/feel of the sim.

It has all to do with the quality and sensor resolution of your hardware, and the range of motion your controller has. I’m happy I’ve got a joystick with Hall effect sensors, which gives me very smooth control of the aileron and vertical stabilizers. The rudder controller I use has normal potentiometers, and a pretty short range of travel, giving less smooth control, which I accept because I haven’t spent a lot of money on a pendulum rudder set.

If you want full range of motion of the surfaces, and have limited travel/resolution/sensor quality (noisy signal), the exponential (sensitivity) setting is the only way.

That said, there are probably improvements to be made to the aerodynamic model to make it feel better with the controls we have. But I doubt that’ll be in the calibration side of things.

1 Like

laggy? I’m talking miliseconds. That’s what I meant by “Eventually.” It catches up to the position, which gives you a chance to correct if you’ve over shot the input: more forgiving, but not eliminating a simulated feel. (I shoulda done a video of this before I got the refund/uninstalled)

I’m not sure what Exponential sensitivity is. Is it: move 10% of the input and the game moves 20%?

As far as I know, you want your input to require more movement than what it is controlling, but both still moving the same percentage through their range.
Basic examples (and not relevant to my point):
-steering wheel turns 85degrees (x%) to the left, the front wheels do not turn 85degrees left, but they move x% to the left .
-yoke turns 90 degrees right, right aileron does not stick straight up
-elevator controls work in a similar manner with a large movement of the lever connected to the yoke above the pivot point, with a small movement below the lever point (first class lever)
-low dpi for FPS

All I am suggesting is that adding sensitivity settings (the speed at which the in-game flight controls move and catch up to your input) can create more forgiving in-game control response. I am almost certain this will come as the game gets close to console release, but it should come sooner.

Please, have you found a solution? Whenever I land a prop plane and use minimal input on my rudder (T.Flight Hotas X) it is very sensitive. What can I do to counter this? I’ve seen people maintain center line very easily on YouTube…
Regards

The only solution right now is to change your sensitivity curve to around (-50 possibly up to -75). Hopefully someone on the dev team views this and plans on implementing some change to it.

X Plane got many things wrong but their flight control setup is well thought out with…

1. Sensitivity adjustment
  2. 3 types of curve with infinitely adjustable curve shapes
  3. Controller profiles to suit EACH aircraft
  4. Far more user friendly UI.

Come on Microsoft please fix the problem. It has problems with commercial airliners and controller sensitivity (especially rudder), it is a good sim but at the moment because of these issues I can’t treat it as a serious contender.

2 Likes

The issue in this thread is that it’s initial posting proposes a “solution” which will not work, so I’d never vote for that proposal.

If we’d have more precise description of what Asobo really should implement and it would be updated in the initial post (which we vote for), that might bring this issue higher in priority.

Why not just describe a few changes (like adding manual control in the curve) that are easy to understand for people to upvote it?
The suggestion of a linear translation that is less sensitive (meaning we don’t have full rudder deflection at max input) is definitely not what we want.

1 Like

What we need is not rocket science.

We need to be able to adjust the efficiency of the rudder (or other axes). This is the read dot. Adjusts up/down the y axes from max efficiency to zero.
And the sensitivity or curve of the parameter with one or idealy 2 “handles” on to enable to make c shaped or s shaped curve.
That should serve everyone I think.
Sorry for poor craftmanship.

1 Like

that way you limit the maximum deflection on the control surfaces though.

1 Like

See your point.

A. Deflection, as in the visual model is not an issue. Visually it can just be set to deflect as “default”, that is fully deflected but less efficient.

B. Actual efficiency on/in flight model. Ofcause, but this is what many are asking for. Controll surfaces are claimed to be way to aggressive (efficient). If you dont want that then just leave it in default max. position.

One/multiple “handles” on the sensitivity curve allow you to dial in how you want your particular joystick/pedals to interact with the control surface over the " throw" of the controller.

With such a setup it is hard to imagine anyone not being able to set their controller up for comfortable and precise use, subject to the controller/joystick/pedals are of some quality. Old/worn controller will never work well.

Linearity has nothing to do with the range of deflection. With a linear curve you can still have maximum deflection of the pedals to equal maximum deflection of the rudder. You will just have a linear relationship between the two movements, which you now have only if you don’t change the default sensitivity. Sensitivity in the FSX and older versions of the FS was linear, I have no idea why they decided to fix something that wasn’t broken.

And BTW, this is not only about the rudder, the elevator realism suffers from the same problem, also ailerons.