LIRN Naples Area - Photogrammetry completely KILLED!

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

LIRN Naples Italy Airport, the beautiful Photogrammetry covering the entire area around the airport (default) has been completely removed/destroyed replaced with ugly autogen. Half of the city is gone. Now is evident a horrible looking step at the end of the square area where the Photogrammetry has been KILLED!! All that after the WU11 update. Several buildings from the photogrammetry are catted in half…

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

ICAO or coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

LIRN

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

WU11 update.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

No

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Used drone to fly around Naples proper. Photogrammetry is working. There are no autogen buildings. See attached screenshots. I flew from LIRN to the base of Mt. Vesuvius, along the coast all the way to Porto di Acquamorta. Possible root cause of reporter: Photogrammetry is turned OFF on their installation of MSFS.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Here you go!

Thanks for your reply, but you didn’t get the post. The are I am referring to, is a shared area with the airport in the middle of it.
There some screen, so you can better understand what I am talking about.
Cheers!

Inside this square area the photogrammetry has been removed and replaced with FS autogen. It looks like we got back to FSX… :smiling_face_with_tear:

I’m sorry that I have no pics taken before WU11, otherwise it was very evident the difference. Can you see now the autogen and the step that the square area created?

I got few screens taken before WU11. Look how the photogrammetry “touches” the airport borders…

Yes, there probably is an exclusion polygon. You can see the PG getting cut off.

Yes, that is the huge disaster they made with this update, unfortunately. But I would love to understand the reason of such a choice… and how eventually go back to the previous situation.

I think that there is a problem with this airport area, since a company that made this airport had the same kind of issue and they had to use a flattern as well, in order to avoid a big step on one side or the other. The flattern, of course, gives the same bad looking results. They told me something like “for Microsoft there is not an airport in that area”. So, maybe the area in designed in a way that the airport borders are not defined very close, and maybe the entire airport is standing on a larger area. I don’t know about the scenery/airport structure, I am just guessing to give some ideas.
Thanks!

The airport is supposed to be either autogen or custom built (by Gaya usually on behalf of MS, but it could be one of the many other partners) - it’s never supposed to be PG. So I’m not sure how this is a bug. It will never “blend” as cleanly as autogen-to-autogen, but not surprisingly - PG is supposed to look “right” at a certain height while flying, whereas the airport and surrounding buildings beyond the terminal are supposed to be more accurate because you’ll be most close at that range, either landing, taking off or taxiing - hence they’re handbuilt or autogen in the case of a generic airport layout.

Hi understand. Please consider here that I am not talking about the airport itself, airport buildings and/or runways/taxiways, I am talking about the PG around the airport, that was there before, and now has been cut out by that square flat area. I think that that is a bug.
Thanks!

It’s not a bug. At maximum it’s a limitation of the current SDK.

The airport needs a flat surface. Because of DEM and PG data limitations you need some kind of in between area. This is only possible with autogen buildings. Otherwise you would get very sudden terrain and height differences.

Like this https://forums.flightsimulator.com/uploads/default/original/4X/f/4/3/f4369c2473be6b56ce4b263619e0e88169272419.jpeg

Reported in Terrain problem at LIRN (Naples) airport after WU Italy. Reported to Zendesk

I absolutely agree with you, and that is also what I figured out, considering what I heard about the situation at LIRN. So let’s not call it “a bug” :wink:
I know that where the airport is located, it is not a flat area. I understand that, if someone wants to built an airport there, that someone needs a flat area, and that they are trying to compromise…

My questions at this point are:
1- Why before the WU11 that flat area was not necessary, and we could enjoy the PM? Maybe because there was not an airport builded there? Are they going to build a LIRN Airport?
2- Would it be possible to tailor cut the flat area so that only the actually airport area is affected?
3- If is not possible to tailor that area, and the only possible way is to design a squared area, would it be possible to make it as small as possible in order to intake less PM area?
Sorry dude, just trying to figure out alternative solution that will have a minor impact on PM… :wink:
Thank you!

BTW it is just a .bgl file. Any idea how to get the previous one? :wink:

Yes, I know, I was one of the several people that logged that problem. But honestly, I think that the airport was better before, even with that problem. Now, it might have no issue, but looks ugly…

Ciao, anche io ho avuto gli stessi problemi con Napoli e Capodichino, poi sono andato su flightsim.to e ho scaricato RDPreset LIRN che è a pagamento, ma ho benedetto quei soldi fino all’ultimo centesimo. Qualità e realismo stratosferici. Inoltre ho scaricato, in precedenza, tutti gli add-on possibili e immaginabili che potevano riguardare Napoli e dintorni, isole comprese, coprendo una distanza di 100 km. Il risultato è stato più che soddisfacente e il volo era piacevolissimo. Premetto che io volo in VR e nonostante la qualità grafica sia leggermente inferiore a quella del PC, il realismo che mi regala il casco virtuale è impagabile e la qualità passa immediatamente in secondo piano.
Fino a un mese fa qualsiasi seccatura era risolvibile e veniva risolta…adesso invece…
Veniamo alle dolenti note:

1. Il Vesuvio, non è più quello di prima…in avvicinamento si scompone, salvo ricomporsi all’arrivo e riscomporsi di nuovo in allontanamento. Ciliegina sulla torta: il versante che dà sul mare presenta uno “scalino” che scompare all’arrivo e in allontanamento.
  2. Posillipo: verso la metà della collina il terreno è piatto e le case sembrano essere in 2D, salvo poi “alzarsi” dal terreno in avvicinamento tornando in 3D.
  3. Sul mare, verso il Porto, e la costa est e ovest, compaiono delle macchie scure a forma di parallelepipedo irregolare, che scompaiono in avvicinamento.
  4. In avvicinamento a Capodichino, il volo non è più fluido, ma va a scatti fino al cortissimo finale e a volte anche fino all’atterraggio.
    Le ho provate tutte: togliendo tutti gli add on uno per uno o in massa, cambiando la grafica andando fino ai predefiniti, ma non ho ottenuto nessun risultato.
    Per il resto va bene, ma Napoli non è più quella di prima…
    Quando ho acquistato MSFS nel 2020 ero rimasto affascinato dalla altissima qualitĂ  e dal realismo del paesaggio e di alcune cittĂ , tra cui Napoli appunto.
    Oggi mi sembra che invece di andare avanti si sia andati indietro.
    Speriamo che si possa risolvere in una maniera o nell’atra questo inutile problema.
    Happy landings.
    P.S. Ho cancellato i post precedenti, perchè comparivano errori di traduzione dall’inglese all’italiano.