List here great VR airplanes

So list here great VR airplanes. My pick is this new Kodiak:

• big windows to see outside
  • wing´s are above you, and way behind you. Wont see any artifacts with Motion Repro on.
  • three big glass cockpit screen, works great with NIS addon
  • can add passengers and cargo
  • those three screen take some FPS vs for example C208B (37fps vs 43 in same location), but with motion repro capped at 30fps, it is pretty much no deal breaker there.
  • cockpit should be little bit bigger, 5-10%. It feels that my elbow is outside of the plane, same as in C152. But C208 with improvement mod feels little bit bigger.
6 Likes

I Agree with you, the new Kodiak is a great plane in VR (its a great plane on a flatscreen too)… I found I was getting a lot of micro stuttering in VR only, with it, until I turned off the co pilots mfd with the bus switch and things really smoothed out now. I think there is some optimizing to be done on it, but still having a lot of fun with it.

Another great plane in VR is the default DA40 with mods. Its got amazing visibility. Like sitting in a bubble.

Rob

3 Likes

The Super Gee Bee

1 Like

Hawk T1. Fantastic high position in both front and back seats and no glass gauges so can lower the resolution no problem if needed.

2 Likes

Hawk T1 absolutely - can’t get enough of that plane in VR, amazing!

I just bought the Kodiak as well and agree that’s also great in VR.

1 Like

Im having a blast landing the f18 in VR

1 Like

Hi
Hawk
F18

SC Designs F-16 is actually really great in VR. Visibility is unmatched. It’s not DCS but it flies well enough. The HUD is even looking good.

As for the other mentions in this thread: I can second the Super Gee Bee and the new kodiak.

1 Like

The sim works studio Kodiak 100 is my new favorite by a mile. Great visibility with high wing and no reprojection artifacts as wing is being you. Fantastic cockpit detail. STOL and good top end speed for GA use in all conditions. Love the working fuse box to turn off the copilot PFD. Great flight model very smooth, only a little twitchy on take off. Sounds are well done. And landing lights that actually work when landing at night on poorly lit runways. Totally worth the price and it’s still the first iteration.

Vertigo for high speed fun, aerobatics, vertical climb speed unmatched and single cockpit visibility.

Xcub (ms/Asobo version with standard gear) and bush mod versions with higher power and tail dragger.

1 Like

I’m not too bothered about the position of the wings. I actually really like the DA62 because you get that great sense of 3D depth with the beautifully modelled engines sitting right next to you. Same with the King Air. You get this big sense of depth and scale.

Its great fun in VR for sure. Two things let it down for me though. The slightly low res textures of the cockpit are way more noticeable in VR. So I’ll look forward to the high res textures we’re apparently going to get for it in a patch next year. The other issue is the seat position. I really wish I had a proper flying seat so I could sit at the same angle in VR as you do in the actual plane. Its such a laid back position.

Flying in the back seat of the Hawk is the best over all VR experience I’ve had in the sim. Its just incredible.

Generally speaking cockpit textures are everything in VR. Thats where Asobo’s default planes really can’t be beaten. They are just so beautifully modelled. Compare the F18 to any other third party fast jet.

2 Likes

Aerosoft CRJ. The only available study level jet airliner. Works well in VR (G2, RTX3070, TAA 100%, OXR 80%, no reprojection), glass screens legible, no need to lean-in or zoom-in.
Contrary to stock C172, the cockpit size in VR is as it should be.

PA-28 Turbo Arrow IV is still my goto aircraft for VR. love the way it performs and immersion is top notch.

2 Likes

Top Rudder 103Solo.

3 Likes

Kodiak is really good on VR…

This is hard to pick. I haven’t been unsatisfied with any aircraft in VR so far.

IFR or VFR are both fun if you have peripherals to have full control. I’d recommend trying to be as mouseless as possible and you’ll have a great time.

Pipistrel Virus. High wing, no wing spars, “doors” are windows all the way → amazing visibility for VFR. Just wish I could get rid of the massive wing spar inside the cockpit and get more steam gauges to help readability in VR. Perhaps the cockpit scale is a bit too small, difficult to say. Flight model is good, I fly the Alpha IRL, which is very close to the Virus.

1 Like

The Corsair is great too. My favorite i think in VR.

Gee Bee R3 is very good. The SR22 is excellent. The PT-17 Stearman is a must have for island hopping on grass and local airstrips.

I keep on experimenting with most of the GA aircraft in VR every now and then, but invariably I always return to the DA40 NGX with the improvement mod by mrtommymxr. On balance, the performance, the avionics, the ease of operation, the quality of the textures, and the visibility from the cockpit all make it my preferred GA plane. Stick with it for a while and see how it grows on you.

Another choice for excellent visibility if you also want some speed is the free F-22A Raptor by Top Mach Studios. A bubble canopy with HUD, good avionics and the ability to go very low and slow for sightseeing or climb up and reach almost 2.4 mach. I mainly use this for long distance flying along with the Longitude. In fact, I’m in the middle of a world tour visiting every capital. So far I’ve completed 120 countries, all in VR and using only the F-22A Raptor. Check it out.

1 Like

H145 helicopter by hype performance group

2 Likes