Listen to ATC without using it?

Just curious if it’s possible in game to use the frequencies to listen to the generic ATC from the sim without activating it, weither it’s using real world frequencies or in game ones?

I already stream Sirius Satellite radio from the Xbox while I’m flying but with like a little cut in of ATC if possible.

1 Like

not sure if that works - but - you can connect to ‘Live ATC’ before you start MSFS and select the nearest ICAO to your in game departure or arrival airport and just let that run in the background.
Listen to Live ATC (Air Traffic Control) Communications | LiveATC.net

1 Like

This is the best, nothing like listening to the real deal as you fly virtually. This is what I always do and it really ramps up the immersion.

4 Likes

I was thinking of doing that too but I use Xbox and earphones when simming. Does anybody know if there is a way to get the audio of Live ATC into the console and play it at the same time as the sounds from the SIM? Otherwise I might have to look into speakers I guess… :slight_smile:

Before I permanently switched to VATSIM, I used FS-ATC-CHATTER (in conjunction with Pilot2ATC).

https://www.stickandrudderstudios.com/fs-atc-chatter-overview/

Can be used standalone and plays frequency appropriate (cut from live chatter).

It is also regional (knows where you are flying and plays region appropriate chatter).

1 Like

The only way to do this would be if there was a mod that let you open a browser window within the game and (crucially) allow the embedded browser to keep playing the sound while it was in the background (not in focus).

Some airliners (mostly the payware ones) have a tablet on the flightdeck on the captains side which is used to adjust various parameters (fuel, passenger load etc.) but IIRC some of these tablets have a page where you can access the real world internet. This would bring LiveATC into the game.

I recall a mod even in FSX that let you access the net from within the game.

Failing this then yes your only choice is to get some speakers and play LiveATC on another device. The real world background chatter really does make a difference!

1 Like

I use LiveATC quite a bit for the added immersion. Sadly it’s not so good if you live/fly in the UK as listening to ATC here is forbidden.
The closest you can get is tuning into the ATC from a few southern Ireland airports.

im fairly certain you can dial the radio to any airport your flying near and you will hear w/e atc is going on
though it may be generic or w/e idk

i just know ive had to change the channels to shut it up on occasion :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is it real frequencies are ones in the sim and is there a list?

i couldnt say tbh im on pc and i use Little NavMap - it reads straight from the game and has all the airport info, so i can get radio nav and atc frequencies from there, not sure about how to get them from xbox but i suspect most are the same as irl since that info is readily available but just guessing
let me look ingame, it may be available from there, maybe in the atc window? im not sure but will check

you can use the atc window, when flying it will allow you to search for ‘nearest’ airports and it shows the atc channels
or better zoom in with the VFR map (V key on pc) and you can get airport specific info there

1 Like

I know of something now where you can change where the output of the MSFS2020 generic ATC goes, but I don’t know of a way to redirect the ATC to real world ATC. I recommend maybe trying something like VATSIM instead, or just looking into speakers could work too.

1 Like

Interesting. I always noticed the lack of any feeds on LiveATC from the UK and now I know why!

From the pics and videos i have seen of UK airports/airshows I can tell however that this is something the authorities there dont really jump on people for unless they are being a nuisance.

Airshows and spotter areas there are an airband radio party. Even the cops on their airport perimeter patrols dont care about them. Many videos even have ATC in their soundtrack.

From the LiveATC website …

• Why don’t you have any feeds from the UK?

It is illegal to provide air traffic control feeds from within the UK due to an outdated law that originated back in 1942. The antiquated law states that although it is not illegal to sell, buy or own a scanning receiver in the UK, it must only be used to listen to transmissions meant to be broadcast to the general public.

OfCom (the U.K. regulatory authority for communications) has stated on numerous occasions: “It is an offence to listen to any other radio services unless you are authorised by a designated person to do so.”

This means that it is illegal to listen to anything other than general reception transmissions unless you are either a licensed user of the frequencies in question or have been specifically authorized to do so by an authorized person. This is clearly a law that needs to be updated in light of the many educational uses for listening to aircraft communications. Furthermore, the original reasons for this law have long since become irrelevant.

Let’s hope this law gets modified - there has been at least one online petition aimed at attempting to get some attention but it does not seem to have had much of an effect on Ofcom. If you are a UK citizen, please contact your MP and see if they can help make an exception to this law.

Liveatc.net seems to be down. :frowning_face:

Do you know of any alternatives?

Edit: It’s back now :smiley:

It’s not as comprehensive but I did use it for a while when Live ATC was down

Could anyone explain why real live ATC chatter is so bad in quality of the sound? I understand that’s a radio transmission, but c’mon - I should not be not understanding 90% of the talk.

Personal Comments and Observations

Are you referring to ATC built into the sim, a live feed over the Internet, or something else?

And what do you mean by “bad?” Bad audio quality, bad words, something else?