Littlenavmap without connecting to a sim - pointless?

Trying to get better at flying VORs in C152 and saw some tutorial videos utilizing Littlenavmap. I like the sectional map functionality and that should be enough to get me where I want to be, but I wanted to try and play around with flight plans as well - looks like without loading a Scenery Library, all of this functionality goes away (selecting departure and arrival airports, building flight plans, waypoints…) - is this true?

Running Littlenavmap on macOS (only Scenery Library option is Xplane, of course, which I don’t have) and simming on Xbox Series X.

By default Little Nav Map will connect to MSFS to draw on the NavData, so you can perform flight planning (IFR/VFR) and built a route using Navaids or even custom Waypoints.

Do note that I am running MSFS on my Xbox, and Little Nav Map on macOS - so I’m not sure the default behavior you mentioned is pertinent to my setup. I can’t think of how to reconcile those two platforms to be able to flight plan.

Yes, you are correct. You would need to load the scenery library, and you cant with the Xbox. You can always use skyvector and put things together manually. There is another option, fly with guys that ARE flying VORs as a group. All you would need is to load DISCORD on a computer, tablet, or phone, and fly with us.

1 Like

Since you cannot connect LNM to MSFS via the XBOX you cannot pull the updated library files. The other option would be to purchase a navigraph subscription so you could at least update the AIRAC in LNM and have it close(ish) to MSFS and then build your flight plans etc.

That said, you would not have moving maps, the ability to track your flight etc. So not sure that would be worth a subscription.

consider also https://skyvector.com/ or http://vfrmap.com/

edit: i’m not a LNV user but maybe someone who is, could upload whatever cached data OP can’t generate? Is that possible @albar965 (edit 2 - see EzRyder6869’s response below)

Cool, I’ve set up Little Nav Map to use Navigraph ‘for all features’. Already had a Navi subscription from my HJet flights :slight_smile:

Messed around with the scenery library for awhile, thinking Navigraph’s FMS Data Manager would have to export something that I needed to import into Little Nav Map, but it looks like all I had to do was close and reopen it and the VFR map looks more built-out than it did before, and it looks like I’m able to build flight plans now (with elevation data as well!) Cool - thanks so much.

Let me know if I’m missing anything but I think I got what I’m looking for. Probably just easier to use SkyVector as some of you recommended. It’s just cool to have sectional charts in a separate application :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, glad you got it sorted out. LNM will tell you which AIRAC is loaded (should be 2206) and you’re all set.

1 Like

It was out of date but was able to update LNM via Navigraph’s FMS Data Manager and we are in great shape. This was so helpful, thanks!

2 Likes

You mentioned you have the VFR sectionals as a layer already? Adding these was one of the best features of LNM and why I just love to fly VFR in the US. Wish there was an equivalent for the UK and Europe but sectionals remain paid for mapping. I run LNM on both my PC and a Windows tablet so I can do flight planning away from the PC - very handy.

Not sure if I understand but you can try to use one of these maps:

Alex

1 Like

It´s not pointless at all to run it offline. One of the things you can do is to use it as navigation chart for VFR. You can also do the same by just disabling the aircraft icon and map moving (tracking) while being online.

This is a very interesting option because, as you won´t know where you are, you will need to find the best visual references or nearby navaids to estimate where you are indeed. You can draw lines on LNM to nearest VORs to help you find the course and distance to any point too. This is another interesting way to follow flight plans which are not including VORs (for instance to reach a point which is in between two VORs).

I tried several VFRs with this method and it makes you concentrate a lot more in your environment than when having the moving map option and the aircraft icon enabled or a GPS onboard.

Cheers

1 Like

This is exactly what I used to import the US VFR sectionals. It has other very useful layers too including the US High and Low IFR charts. I wasn’t sure if the OP had these or not but would highly recommend to anyone to load them in.

well normally you would just create the map.db on the laptop (guessing installing the game just for the LNM db is out :P)
all you really need would be the map.db files then lnm could work as an offline flight planner
ive done this to use with a laptop from my game pc, the files are in (or goto)
Windows: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel\little_navmap_db
Linux and macOS: $HOME/.config/ABarthel/little_navmap_db
but you may need someone to upload the 1gb of files after they scan them, i like using data straight from the game rather than irl data but thats me i guess

EDIT:
the db files can be found here (current scan), i went ahead and uploaded them if you still wish to use LNM ‘offline’
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GBBccZ_O70MWSzJi30y_C2KisusB6JMe?usp=sharing

1 Like

I use it when not connected to the sim, just for planning interesting trips. You can plot out journeys to your hearts content, and then save the flight plans to load into MSFS later.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.