Live real world air traffic in msfs...is it real?

Thank you sir. Happy landing. If I can correlate the airport that you had clearance/taxi activity and I can test it then I can start to look at things differently. Testing at known busy airports have yielded virtually no results for me.

An 8 hour flight only for an AI plane to spawn in the middle of the runway as I was on final. Oh well, landed anyway and possibly killed all people on both planes.

Ok, so this was rough on my poor CPU with all the flights and cloud coverage.

About 10 min ago, you can see all the aircraft injected by FBW:

You can see various flights requesting clearance, pushback, etc, and actually doing what being told:

American 2306 should be the second to last in the background, you can see it being pushed:

Other side, in the distance another American flight that requested pushback, either flight 1681 or 844:

And some taxi clearances:

Again, when I am the one landing, it’s all silent. It’s like all flights on the ground or arriving don’t exist. But at departure, I often have to sneak in to ask for clearance due to the constant chatter (which I like).

So did another test at LAX. Here’s the list per FA:

Here’s the findings. Aircraft with a * departed but were not included in this list from when I started the experiment. Time running is from 1:45-2:10. SKW3355 was the first aircraft to call 5 minutes after the injection started and the ONLY one. Even noticed starting to get repeated departures. I stopped the test after letting the injection run for 30 minutes.
Schedule:
23 departures from 1:45-2:10)
SKW3355 - call
DAL1647 - no call
JBU1374 - no call
*AAL274 - no call
SCX8711 - no call
SAS932 - no call

LAX is a parking lot:

Still only LAX based traffic with just departures and arrivals. No airspace traffic for other airports and no overflying aircraft.

So with over 180 injected AI, a full LAX, only 1 departure called for clearance within a 30 minute period.

I think you misunderstood what it was I was talking about. This whole issue is about MSFS Live traffic. I know FBW/FSLTL traffic works. I thought you were talking about using MSFS Live traffic. Not FBW. :neutral_face:

Ah! Sorry about that. I can try that out too. From what I recall it was working fine before I switched over to FBW’s injector, but that was probably a couple of MSFS updates ago.

Please do, would be much appreciated. You can look back at my other posts to see what the issues are. The main issues are that traffic is only injected around no more than 30NM from the user and that if at a larger airport only traffic for that airport is injected around 15/20/25 NM and that there’s no arrival traffic or overflying aircraft within that airspace, like you can see from my recent LAX image.

Can we get this moved to where it can be logged as feedback or a bug issue??? It’s clear that live traffic is not working as it’s supposed to*

UpstateElf898 thank you again for your input…

‘What do you mean by live planes set to high?’
I was referring to the variety setting between low, medium, high, ultra…I turned it to medium thinking I would save fps.

Live airport activity was my other question about accuracy.

Ah I gotcha. Just a difference in wording but I figured it out. Yeah I can’t really tell how much of a difference there is between the different variety settings. Logically if a flight uses a specific model as well as an airline/livery and it’s available it will use it. My thinking is that the variety differences would more likely apply to non active/static aircraft. Active aircraft would of course be matched and used to what is needed. That’s if the logic holds true. I’m sure you’ve read through my postings and you can see IMO live traffic is just a jumbled mess.

The live airport activity I assume is being pulled from: LAS Harry Reid Intl Airport (LAS/KLAS) - FlightAware with the different sections of arrivals, departures, enroute/scheduled arrivals, and scheduled departures. From your example image it’s annoying you can’t order by time s everything looks a hot mess and just jumbled around. Back when I first used MSFS and used live traffic, I’d sit at an airport and use their list or the direct list from FlightAware to track everything. At that time there was probably 35% accuracy. Now using my testing, I’d say the accuracy is more somewhere around 50-60% being dependent on how many different models and airlines you have installed that the sim can actually use and match to traffic.

The biggest downside of there being more accuracy is the lack of that increased amount of traffic being able to follow proper A-B flying and everything that falls in between that. Logically in the real world that process would be clearance, push, taxi, takeoff, departure, cruise, arrival, approach, landing, taxi, gate arrival. Clearance and push just seem completely ignored. Taxi and takeoff seem to be spawned in as it’s happening. Departure works fine. Cruise is non existent except if you inject traffic as you’re cruising or are centered in a non busy airport where my testing issues occur. Arrival not really there except for same issue as departure. Approach is there, you can see that specifically from my testing. Landing is 50/50 whether aircraft actually follow the approach and land or just spawn after landing, which is the same issue as taxiing departure aircraft.

Taking me being a serious AI enthusiast aside, even if I wasn’t, I wouldn’t like what I was seeing. You don’t have to be a hardcore aviation nerd to see that even as a know nothing passenger steps within the A-B process are being skipped or just popped in, other issues aside. I’ve been doing AI stuff since FS2002. I know what I’m talking about and how a correct AI system should operate. Both FS2004 and FSX had that A-B process and it worked great. FSLTL also uses live traffic the same as MSFS and can carry out that process as well. So why MSFS live traffic can’t do that process is a headscratcher. :crazy_face: :smile:

1 Like

‘So why MSFS live traffic can’t do that process is a headscratcher.’

…looking forward to the day when they do!
BTW…it looks like maybe MSFS finally fixed the reversed Arrival/Departure list. It used to have Arrival above the departure list and vice versa.

Time will tell. But when you have someone spending hours testing and showing example after example of things not working and then the only other person providing an example happens to be someone closely tied to MSFS and says it’s fine, that gives me little hope of anything being done about it. I’m also really surprised by the lack of response from the community as well. For such a community that screams realism and wanting the most immersive experience, finding out something like this you’d imagine people would test it out and want answers themselves. So either everyone is just using FSLTL or they’re happy enough with how it works within MSFS and live traffic. But they’re not getting what was advertised and their experience could be so much more immersive as I have proven. It’s disheartening.

2 Likes

The moderators here help with the forum and are volunteers, they don’t make product decisions, speak for the product or are super closely tied to MSFS - they do it to help out. The Community Managers are the ones that relay official info/news, and anything else is just people chatting with their opinions as a fan or volunteer.

As for the live traffic, you probably have shown all the info to turn it into a bug report format. If this doesn’t get moved then you could probably just post it as a bug and see if it gets ‘bug logged’ in time or not. I guess the bit that might be ambiguous is if it is not working as originally designed, as in the limit is just very small for the live traffic. I agree with you that it could be more realistic, but would guess there are performance constraints for Xbox etc. It might just mean this a future fix that turns into some new live traffic radius setting on the wishlist?

EDIT: Re-reading your posts you probably have at least two separate bug reports (they like them clearly separated into different posts) of (1) the traffic disappearing or not moving after injection and (2) the ATC drop out calls for live traffic. So basically not just wishlist things, as it does look broken or restricted heavily. The trouble with ATC/traffic/weather trifecta is some uncertainty in if this is just working as is intended (maybe due to legacy stuff, how hard it is to fix up, how much people care about non-VFR stuff etc) or just plain bugs. Reporting it like you did will help for sure I think.

Thanks for taking the time to review my posts. I’m not concerned with the ATC drop outs. That’s an Azure thing that’s already been well documented. I found today that if you have live traffic enabled in the data and go to the world map before loading a flight and zoom into different airports you see the traffic more or less as it should be. Looking at LAX which has a notable long arrival corridor for aircraft arriving from the east, I could see aircraft well beyond the 30NM boundary that seems to exist within the scenario. Departing aircraft only showed either on the runway as they were departing or after they hit the shoreline. This corresponds with the issue that aircraft on the ground are not calling for clearance or taxi and are just being spawned either on the way to the runway, at the runway, on departure roll, or after departure. Big issue with that IMO. FlightAware is also notorious in how their data is represented on their maps of having aircraft bunch into each other both airborne and arrival traffic. This is probably the main reason why people are getting so many go arounds at airports. Rather than proper spacing, which is of course happening in the real world, FlightAware for some reason has aircraft just going until it hits the airport without caring what’s around them. Since what is showing on the FlightAware maps is what is being injected in sim, again big issue with this too and something third party developers have had to solve on their own (AIFlow).

The main issue is that even though on the world map traffic is beyond 30NM (also probably mostly dependent on where the user is centered on the map something is triggering a change in that when the scenario gets started and loaded and traffic gets reduced to either only the user’s airport or just to within that restricted limit. Again, big issue with that. At the very least if they were going to do something like that it would have been nice to have them say something about it rather then finding out through other programs that are offering the same (live) product that MSFS was supposed to be offering from day one and then wondering why things aren’t the same.

So with popping departures = no realistic ground representation, traffic being restricted once a scenario loads, and arrivals also popping or disappearing meaning no realistic landing or taxi to the gate representation, it sounds like they should seriously reconsider using FlightAware as a live traffic provider meant to give MSFS users a sense of A-B flying (which is doesn’t because it doesn’t utilize ADS-B directly in it’s depiction, just as data for plotting points, unlike FR24). It does what it’s supposed to with following what the FlightAware map looks like, but that’s unrealistic as FlightAware doesn’t show ground traffic and there’s obviously an issue with how a departing aircraft is handled. I’m not understanding why they can’t just query the schedule of an airport from FlightAware and inject an aircraft at its scheduled time of departure. FS AI has been doing that since 2004 with AIG/Project AI or any BGL based AI traffic.

I’m not going to bother making a new post because all the data is here. I’ve already asked if a mod could move it to the bug section or somewhere where it can get the attention it needs. Best I can do until that happens is just check back once in awhile and see if things change after patches and keep this thread towards the top so people keep seeing it and could test it as well. Again, very disappointed at the lack of responses since full immersion/realism is such a sensitive thing for people on here.

1 Like

We need more like you who pay such attention to detail in the code rooms…well said!

1 Like

Ha, thanks I appreciate that. I know I probably come off as a major ■■■■ but it’s from a good place and with well meaning intentions. As you can see, AI is something I’m very vested in. Have been since I started this journey of FS, so my whole life almost. I know it can be done right. I’ve seen it done right. And with today’s tools available and a big company like MS/Asobo, there’s no reason they can’t get this right either. They either aren’t aware (should be now) or know (sweeping under the rug) and are hoping, like I’ve seen from people on here who use live traffic, that they don’t notice it or care.

1 Like

I’m sure the devs have a good idea of the issues in this sim…maybe they are just prioritizing.

1 Like

One can hope but if my recollection is correct, it’s been over a year. Refer to my previous thoughts as to why.

Definitely not. A voice of reason! :+1: