Live volcanic eruptions and lava flows

Since we have live traffic and “live weather,” I think that it would be nice to have live volcanoes as well, complete with erupting lava scenery, rendered ash clouds and their destructive effects on aircraft engines. I’m sure that various organizations can offer live geological data for this, shouldn’t be too hard for them to work in. As anyone who remembers Iceland from a few years back knows, they can have a major effect on the aviation community.

So I was exploring some geological sites like active volcanoes to see whether they’d have fire effects, etc (which they sadly don’t - at least from what I was able to experience so far).

It would be nice to add effects to geological sites like that.

2 Likes

In fsx there was a plugin for forest fires. For real no joke

Gps coordinates for all the known fires in the us.

2 Likes

Maybe after they get all the higher-priority things sorted.

I’m not really joking. I actually think it would be a nice feature. The weather integration is an added bonus. I flew over Hawaii the other day and Kilauea looked kind of lifeless. There are lots of volcano POIs out there.

5 Likes

I totally agree.
Adding volcanic activity would be a very good thing, websites are updated in real time or almost.
Not only would it add experience to the flights, but also visually with beautiful effects.
We can note for example, volcanoes like stromboli and others which are in constant activity.
Even if the ASOBO team have priorities, they can take this request into consideration later, at least I wish.

1 Like

It would be nice to have vulcanic activity in the world scenery. Like smoking lava lakes, but also geysirs. I dunno if vulcanic hazard warnings are already included in the weather? But it would be exciting having this.

Would be cool if Asobo and USGS would join up. Old Faithful (Yellowstone) geyser and Kilauea were active in FSX and one more in a mission in Africa.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the game. Playing in VR and as soon as they add multiplayer co-pilot, I am taking my wife to tour the world. What I was disappointed about is this:

Apparently this mount supposed to be erupting right now:

But when I went there in game, all I see, is a mount just fully covered in Trees. The second picture is close to what it looks like in a game, except that tiny pillar of smoke. In a game, not a tiny little hole with even a tiny bit of smoke coming out. I even precached the area on HIGH, but nothing. I hear that Bing is awfully outdated, and I guess landscape isn’t in any way animated. So much data precached, but what’s the point, if I can’t see what I am actually after.

All the waterfalls are flat, all the Vulcanos are dead. the game rating just went from 10 to 9.5 for me.

2 Likes

Currently watching daily the volcano in Iceland, I thought this would be really good too!

2 Likes

Live events like Volcano eruptions is easy, only put a fire and smoke at some point and make more realistic. Fun idea :slight_smile:

I would love to see live volcanic eruptions in the sim, using the cloud tech (which sometimes look more like pyroclastic clouds than real fluffy clouds due to their wrong coloration and shader techniques).

Real photo from a passengers window. Mount Sangeang Api Eruption , Indonesia , May 2014.

Right now there’s a major eruption in Indonesia, Mount Semeru. News covering the eruption event.

After reading this article it got me thinking how about volcanos in the sim

Tonga volcano sent tons of water into the stratosphere, which could warm Earth : NPR

1 Like

Yes please! This would be amazing!

Dont need to have big eruption simulation just see smoke from volcano craters could be more immersive. Maybe like smoke from chimneys. Have around 1500 volcanoes in acivities in the world. A good start could make Indonesia’s volcanoes smoke first. Im not a developer I dont know if have API for that.

I took this pic from plane in Indonesia. A lot of volcanoes have smoke like this before they erupt.

1 Like