Live Weather at La Palma, Canary Islands was just WOW when compared to live footage! (shame about the landing)

I decided to attempt a landing at La Palma, Canary Island GCLA as I had not attempted a NDB/DME approach before, plus I was curious what it would look like in the sim since there is an extremely active volcano on it right now.

Approaching the island, I was met with heavy ‘cloud’ on the island, plus several dark cloud columns where the volcanic plume should be. There was lightning, some of it immediately around the ‘volcanic plume’ or cloud column. There was also a very distinct layer hanging over the coast.

I thought it did an ok job, but then I saw a vid of the island shot on the same day. Time of day aside, I am actually pretty stunned at how well the conditions were simulated. Just had to share!

I figure it is just how they reported the meteorological information (hazem, vizibitlity etc), rather than the eruption being modeled or anything, but am impressed none the less.

The top vid is my approach to the island, followed by a report on the volcano. Lightning, distinct cloud layer and general haze, all included! The simmer in me needs to suggest also checking the next vid on the channel… i repeated the flight from Gibraltar (video time-lapse), but pretty much nailed the approach and descent that time!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.