Live Weather Does Not Match

Case in point, the picture I posted wayyyy above. I took off from CA20 in heavy rain and 1/4 mile visibility

In real life, that line of weather hadn’t yet arrived in that area and was likely based on an older model run.

edit to add: CA20 has no surface reporting, so it was using the modeled weather, nearby airports were “correct,” but had the METAR bubble going on.

Why not? We have weather in the sim. Only different than what it is IRL right now. Will always be different even with METAR included. The flight model has nothing to do with how accurate the weather is. A flight model will always behave more realistic in a simulated atmosphere than in a fixed.

Please read my last post again. The modeled weather is not accurate enough and there aren’t enough in-sim forecast products to support the flight planning that would be necessary to deal with it.

Eschewing the flight planning is eschewing a large part of flying. It is essential for realistic simming, to put it in your terms.

Thanks for explaining. I like simming though. But i rather have the atmosphere behave realistic than have it accurate. Thats my view of it even if it’s not fit the flight simulators then.

I will continue hope for the option to include the raw simulated weather model. And i hope for some weather improvments in upcoming updates :slight_smile:

I’d like it to behave realistically as well. On that we agree. My initial call was to integrate more radar as it’s even more granular and timely then METAR for precipitation and the ensuing visibility modifiers (though subject to its own limitations)

1 Like

I wish atmosphere were 100% predictable and recordable. But i’ve learned that everything that observes weather has limitations. The atmosphere is really complex and advanced. And i want it to feel like that in the sim as well :slight_smile:

I think we all can agree that we expected a bit more work on su7 than we got. It feels like they only focused on the accuracy part. And after we have only seen interpolation fixes that were not even needed pre su7.

If we can’t have options i really hope they find a good balance between accuracy and realistic behaviour.

@Perrry If I may ask (and there’s rationale behind this), where do you do most of your flying in the sim?

For me they only focused on adding cloud coverage/visibility coming from METAR and the funcionality of accessing METAR report from the weather menu in order to say “now METAR is fully implemented” and that’s it. Many screenshots have been posted (also experienced that myself since SU7 until today) reporting that cloud coverage does not match with what METAR is reporting or many situations where multiple layers of clouds are mixed up rendering unrealistic cloud formations (maybe because clouds top altitude is not reported in a METAR). So where is the focus on the accuracy ?. I think they release it too fast and without proper testing to integrate it with MB data and correclty render clouds in METAR zones.

1 Like

Yes, i agree. The update that were meant be focused on accuracy didn’t made it more accurate except the really unrealistic fog that marks airports like a poi marker.

I can’t understand why they needed to change the global weather model to implement that. Because i know for sure they did that. The old weather model didn’t feel and look the same everywhere. It looked varied. Right after su 7 i had volcanic ash and tcu everywhere here in Sweden in winter. Never had that before.

3 Likes

I’m from Sweden and i often do my flights here in europe. A bit strange when we have the whole world available :rofl: Where are you flying? I bet around US right? I think you mentioned that in an earlier post right?

Well, it’s much information missing in those METAR to be able to form realistic weather. As the sytem is built it needs to know the tops. It’s also volumetric clouds. It’s not textures anymore.

I wonder what they meant by awesome things coming to weather late 2022 early 2023? Have we heard anything more about that thing?

Lets see what we get in su12. Thats 5 updates after su7. I really hope that focus on weather :slight_smile:

I think (but not sure) they commented something about having storms implemented based on satellite images. I really hope they’ll improve/fix/implement 1st all the functionalities they advertised here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8TGT87Fxyw&t=9s before adding uncommon weather situations.
They also have a lot of work to plan in order to improve thermals for newly implemented gliders since they want to be better than Condor simulator. So I am wondering if their priorities have changed for 2023 and what they are.

1 Like

And static storms from sattelite photos i’m not sure will make those any better. Even more sources of weather included that needs to fit. And even more interpolation needed right.

If METAR is a good thing for accuracy i would rather form those conditions around the airport. For example, if METAR says TS at west from the airport. Then form a TS in the west direction dynamically and unpredictable like sometimes
we can see it form from nothing and sometimes we can see it already formed.

Or if fog is mentioned on the METAR do not set it static, Make the fog form near the airport and let it move with wind as all of the other clouds. It doesn’t need to be static in the center of the airport to feel accurate right? Visibility can change fast thats why they messure an average visibility over a 10 minutes period of time.

Use the METAR as triggers for weather conditions to form dynamically.

It’s many conditions from METAR they could form dynamically and unpredictable over time but it requires much much more work and they have a global model that also needs to fit those. And with su7 fog i have not high hopes for that to happen.

Those sattelite images will only make the weather feel even more static globally where we absolutely not want the weather to feel static. Thats why those that wanted METAR wanted it to be blended with METAR right. Let the Meteoblue weather be as it is outside of airport area and make it more accurate near the airport area. I rather have same source everywhere but i’m not alone using this sim but i would really like to have options.

1 Like

It was called OpusFSX and it was really good imo. the best.

1 Like

I’ve flown a little of everywhere in the sim, but my primary focus is in the US, as it’s where I’m certified (and have the most expertise). About half of what I do is in an effort to keep my head in the game for my real-world flying and instrument currency as well as showing real-world procedures to those interested via my stream. The other part is more relaxed, enjoying the scenery and learning about places.

1 Like

Please take general discussions into a private message.

In Bug Reports, report only the bug.

1 Like

Just flew from Lee-on-Solent ( EGHF ) to Exeter ( EGTE ) - both the general weather and the weather in METAR areas is considerably worse than the actual weather. I can look out my window & check part of the route I flew, and then I checked Exeter METAR with 10km+ vis ( it’s west of me, so the weather there some time ago is my current weather ). Meanwhile in sim there’s cloud down to the deck & Exeter is closed for VFR - I ignored that & just made an instrument approach anyway & viz is about 3km.at best. This is how it’s been for some weeks in the area… there is something amiss with more than METAR areas.

Whether the game weather should or should not match is not relevant; currently it’s meant to, and it doesn’t - obstructively. It’s advertised as being live weather, and when it isn’t tot this degree, it’s a reportable bug.

But it’s also meant and advertised to be seamless weather.

Hope they can fix the weather soon to be both seamless and accurate then.

Hello friends.

I need to give voice to the dissatisfied.

I live in a non METAR region. It’s been two days since the weather has been cloudy here, it rains a lot and there’s a lot of fog. Meanwhile in the game there is a clear sky with some clouds.

This is just a simple snapshot in time, as since SU7 (more than a year) there hasn’t been a day where Live Weather was near correct (except when the weather is totally clear lol).

I don’t think Live Weather needs to be 100% correct all the time and I know that’s impossible, but I think it has to at least approximate the real situation.

In its current state, Live Weather is nowhere near as “live” or accurate.

About the METAR discussion, before SU7, if I wanted a METAR weather option, there were mods (Unreal Weather) that did much better work than the current live weather.

Needless to say, this mod doesn’t work anymore since then.

I feel cheated because old Live Weather made me like this game and consequently aviation and simulators as well.
Looking up to the real sky and thinking “the weather is challenging to fly today”, getting into the game and being very similar, that’s what attracted me to this world.
It was very close to real life conditions and only needed a few tweaks, not a complete overhaul that completely destroyed the experience.

for reference
Aeroclube de Bento Gonçalves SSBG
-29.14854096141925, -51.53705667314738
28/12/2022 16:00 ZULU

5 Likes