Live Weather vs. Real Weather - Timelapse Videos

Think the videos show the weather system is very impressive and people focus to much on small details ( it will NEVER be perfect one jn one )

One thing is for sure … metar based systems can never do this

2 Likes

Can you be specific about what is wrong with it?

One of the things that disappointed me most is the rain. I mean, it looks nice from distance. But from inside, even if data says heavy rain, I don’t see heavy rain around me or in the windshield. And I’m sure this is a downgraded feature, in the first trailer it looked well…

Hope they improve it at some point.

It’s 1.9.3.

The lightning condition is really screwed up. I actually felt weird not seeing much lightning in the Chicago one and the Manitowoc one …

Agreed.

I just added another one depicting a overcast condition in Star Valley, Wyoming. To me, this is the biggest weakness: no dynamic in the overcast condition. As you can see in the real footage, there’s constant cloud movement and formation happening but in MSFS, it’s just bland.

1 Like

When doing this did you encounter the constant lightning/thunder bug? Every time I use live weather, even if it gets clear skies and cloud cover correct, it’s always playing thunder sounds. It’s incredibly annoying cause I basically can never use live weather as I have to deal with the constant rumble of thunder so I manually change it. Many have reported this.

*edit - just scrolled up and saw another member reporting this as well. Sorry I missed that.

2 Likes

Yeah, constant lightning when there’s clouds.

I check some real life videos and it seems to be true in tropical climate areas but not true in others. MSFS has this phenomena everywhere, even in Canada.

1 Like

Added another one from Hawaii. You can see the excessive lightning in the sim vs. real which has 0.

Even if the forecast was bad, at least those clouds look like lightning can come from them. The egregious ones are when small wisps in nearly clear skies produce lightning.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed by the live weather of MS FS 2020, especially as the weather was a unique selling point. I was flying VFR from Germany to Japan with the DA40 and had literally never the same QNH, temperatures, etc. as the METAR read, sometimes not even near. Maybe understandable in the boondocks of Siberia, but disappointing in Japan with a high density of METAR reports. This makes flight planning really bad as you constantly get different weather as forecasted and actually is… I can understand that cloud data is not precise, but at least QNH, etc. should be like given reports. Compared to live cams at the airfields it was disappointing.

Besides that, I was sad seeing that the Siberian area looked like in summer, although those regions should have snow already at the end of October.

1 Like