Local Legend V: Beechcraft Model 18 ("Twin Beech")

Regarding No. 4 is that you need to push the CDI button on the Garmin, you see a VLOC or GPS on the lower left corner on the Garmin. By default its on VLOC, then the needle aligns with the Localizer on airports, if you switch to GPS the needle aligns with the path on your garmin

2 Likes

Regarding No. 2

Apparently thatā€™s an issue with all taildraggers, but carenados airplane are over the top.

4 Likes

I just tried again and while turning off the landing lights did allow the ALT and ROLL to engage, I was still unable to roll the plane with the knob. It stayed straight and level. Better than nothing!

Good to know, I figured it was pilot error.

CSU is the common term for the Constant Speed Unit fitted to the propeller hub, it is basically the most common type of Constant Speed Propeller unit used to control propeller speed these days. It has replaced various other constant speed, two speed, variable speed etc etc designs used in the past.

With a CSU controlled propeller, the blue lever in the cockpit sets the maximum speed the propeller can spin at. It limits how fast the propeller will spin regardless of throttle setting. (Note it clearly cannot effect the minimum speed because if you back the throttle off enough or shutdown the engine completely nothing can make it spin any faster than it already is) .

Typically you might take-off and land with the lever fully forward to get maximum thrust but when cruising you would back the blue prop lever off a bit so the engine/prop runs at a slightly slower speed for less wear and tear and better fuel efficiency.

1 Like

My knowledge about the usual Manifold Pressure (MP) and RPM are from ā€œIā€™ll take the 18ā€ and this video (Flying the Twin Beech (Beech 18) - YouTube), but here is how Iā€™m doing it.

Takeoff:

1. 30"MP and full RPM while braking
  2. 36,5"MP and full RPM while accelerating

Climb: 30"MP and 2000RPM (especially the pilot in the video says this)

(I get 120Knots IAS with 1000fpm climbrate, which is according to a checklist someone on here posted the target airspeed for climbing)

Cruise: 28"MP and 1800RPM (Depending on wind I get around 135 to 150 Kn TAS on the Garmin

Decent: As needed to get climbrate and airspeed(the Checklist says 26"MP)

Landing: Full RPM (According to Checklist) and I use 20"MP,

but it varies depending on getting under 120Kn IAS for landing gear and flaps and keeping Approach speed of around 100 Kn and landing speed of 80 (sometimes even 60 because she likes to bounce)

P.S. I converted the Checklist from old units to units used in the Carenado Twin Beech (Knots and Celsius), marked which points are INOP and altered the power settings. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m allowed to post it on here. If you are interested let me know.

6 Likes

To those who are reading the book and enjoying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YExIBlEO-vc

Author Scott H. Gloodt

And his ā€œSugar Charlieā€

11 Likes

I think you need to set the AP Selector to HDG

Yer go ahead and post it, MS/Asobo/Ca havenā€™t so far so they Carnot tell you off

Ok here is the Link to it:

https://de.flightsim.to/file/37216/beechcraft-model-18-twin-beech-checklist

It is not as fancy or thorough as JayDeeā€™s Checklist, itā€™s simpler and smaller. You can print it ind both sides and cut it in an A5 format.

3 Likes

Simbrief-Profile for the Twin Beech

In response to @WoodyPikaboo, I corrected the Link.

3 Likes

Link isnā€™t working correctly, says ā€œInvalid airframe sharing link.ā€

Nice one, thnx a bunch!

Post deleted

What great idea? What are you responding too?

I think that reply was meant for the thread about a ā€œHistory of MSFSā€ book.

2 Likes

wish I had a dollar for every time I did thatā€¦

1 Like

Please post!

1 Like

Pls. share the link to the livery.

thanks.

Thatā€™s not MSFS, that is a real picture from the authors airplane with the same registration as Sugar Charlie or maybe its even the same airplane.