Local Legend VI: Junkers F 13

3 Likes

But why would you want that? This is a vintage plane where it is all about aviation the manual way. Flying the thing by hand is the actual fun of this.
Maybe itā€™s me, I donā€™t get my head around letting the sim do itā€™s stuff alone and leave the computerā€¦:man_shrugging:
And donā€™t get me wrong, I also fly planes with autopilot, but then I keep monitoring the systems and enjoy the scenery moving by.

But to be clear: I am with you when it comes to modability - this should be given for first party planes ā€¦

And back to topic:
I do really like the Junkers, and the vintage planes in general.
I think we should praise the idea behind a bit more: having a digital aviation museum where old long gone planes come to live again is quite fascinating (for example the upcoming Hughes H-4).

6 Likes

i play Guitar and like to look at a nice plane and enjoy scenery.so i do not leave the pc,but can not stear all timeā€¦so wat is wrong to ad autopilot i want,nobody need to do or use if there is a option.
so i buy no more stuff were i have no option to do wat i want,marketplace addons you can only use as is at momentā€¦i hope they change this.
so have fun,i also like this old planes and miss them,but as isā€¦
for me it is realistic to let a copilot fly and do only takeoff and landing.
other like to fly a starship,i have no problemā€¦

1 Like

ALL MSFS planes have an autopilot. Just turn on the AI pilot from the toolbar. Problem solved. As long as youā€™ve built at least a GPS flight plan, the AI pilot will follow it. However, you go into ALT mode at the altitude when you turn on the AI pilot.

3 Likes

since a very long time, my ms ai pilot put every plane straight in the ground.
it work,but only if ai take off,if you switch on,off and on in the air it crash.

my ai crash the ju52 after a minute in the ground,so that is no option,thatĀ“s a bug wat need a fix

take off ai edle to lipb via ai,switch off turn around switch onā€¦bƤng
i do not call this an option

Problem solved??? no

3 crash via ai pilot,take off fly switch off leave heading to look at poi,switch on

try a flight from EDLE to EDDK all via Ai,even 4.crash in the ground,

this AI Pilot is a Mess

so i stop now,will not buy the F13 and do not Post more about this Mess.
i fly the Planes wat work for me :+1:
if they fix it i will buy the Plane

So what is the difference between the Early or Late ignition setting (wood switch next to the throttle/mix) ?

Cold start: late
Normal operation: early

3 Likes

So like a choke but by changing the ignition timing not the air / fuel

Confirming incorrect pilot position: https://i.imgur.com/kgvrzLv.jpg

Also for those curious, the ā€œmodernā€ version is in fact real and is an exact copy of this, including the cockpit: 2016 JUNKERS F-13 For Sale in Battle Creek, Michigan | Controller.com

1 Like

Well, youā€™re flying the Ju-52, not the F13. And the Ju-52 DOES have a HDG autopilot that actually works at keeping you (more or less) on course. It canā€™t make turns and it does nothing for altitude . So letā€™s stick with F13s here. Different plane, maybe different results?

But yeah, the AI copilot certainly used to be quite homicidal when it 1st came out what, a year or so back? So I tried it like I do all new features, didnā€™t like it, and hadnā€™t touched it since. But I was told it was now much better so, seeing how badly you want an AP for this plane, I gave it a try for the 1st time in nearly a year and it worked fine for me.

I turned it on once in flight and established in the cruise and it acted as if Iā€™d turned on NAV and ALT in a real autopilot. It just held my current altitude and followed the magenta line no problem. I let it fly about 5 minutes, saw no problems, and then turned it off to finish the flight by hand. If I didnā€™t enjoy hand-flying, I wouldnā€™t have bought this ancient plane :slight_smile:

The only thing I can think of that might explain our different experiences is that I see in your 1st pic that youā€™re using a GTN750 modā€™s pop-up window. I have the PMS50 version myself but didnā€™t use it at all for this flight. I just used the in-game VFR map and the in-game ā€œGPS directā€ flightplan from A to B. Did you create or modify your flightplan in the GTN750? If so, that might have confused the AI copilot. It might not be (and in fact almost certainly isnā€™t) capable of dealing with anything but stock inputs.

So, give it a try without using the GTN750. And if it still kills you every time, go to Zendesk, because to me the AI copilot is trustworthy these days.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. Itā€™s the exact same thing as the ā€œspark advanceā€ lever that old cars had, before they invented an automatic system for this.

Ok looks like I had it in late setting, still the rpm dial on the classics pit version by 100rpm, to the hub read out.

And the checklist says cruise should be 1500 that is where the cockpit dial stopped out, but need to use 1600+rpm to even try an stay level.

Can tell by the engine sound itā€™s not happy at 1500 when leaned and will not trim for level

flightplan was made in mainmenu.
yes it is the F13 i like to buy,but i do not want to waste money,so i use the ju52 for test,it crash every time in the ground,sometimes a minute sometime a lot longer.
i have the stearman(not marketplace) i ad ap,work greatā€¦get also the b247 ap work.
were nice to get the option to mod the cfg from marketplace planes,as long they do not change this i stay away from from marketplace planes,and there are a lot do the sameā€¦
if i do not play Guitar i only handflying,most the Bell47 ,Planes i use for longer flights,but then i like to watch scenery in outside view if i play my Guitar and learn new stuff.

No matter whether you, me or somebody else wants or doesnā€™t want an autopilot in vintage aircraft, youā€™re request to have .cfg files unlocked for first party marketplace aircraft is a very reasonable one!
It should be possible, especially given wishes like the one above, or the major supercharger issue on the Ju-52.

1 Like

I was unable so far to locate the tablet in the replica versionā€¦ Did I miss something or is there none? I am asking because I would love to be able to open the door on the replica as well and I know of no way to do so other than via the tablet in this case

In the compartment under the copilotā€™s instruments you can see a clipboard. Click it and it will open up. Nicely done, when you know where to activate it.

1 Like

Thank you very much. Yes, I found the clipboard in the vintage ones, but not on the replica (modern) oneā€¦ strangeā€¦

The replica version has an EFB function built into the digital standby instrument. Within the EFB mode, there are buttons to open doors, request the fuel and bagage carts, etc. There are two PDF files located in the packageā€™s documentiation folder that explain the use of the clipboard (vintage) and EFB (replica).

An interview with the last person still alive to have flown in the Junkers F 13 - plus interesting replica stuff:

About guitar playing onboard: we all know that the AI Piloting Assistant is flawed - in fact unusable with the F 13 for most of the time (even the replicaā€¦) .

Historic F13 PLNs coming soon, one on this place :slight_smile: :

2 Likes