Local Legend VIII: De Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou

9 Likes

I think they may have to resolve the weight and balance display issues before implementing your excellent suggestion of selecting a cargo option. It would be nice if the load could be selectable from a manifest and positioned appropriately, by the operator, to ensure CoG is within limits.

2 Likes

When you game and start smiling you know it’s good. Occasionally happens to me too with flight sim, driving games or open world RPG :slightly_smiling_face:

Great paint job.

My oil pressure is in the green, but oil temps and fuel pressure are in the reds.

I can’t see any way to cool oil temps down?

Maybe they’re just old bangers and you go with what you got.

1 Like

Yea I noticed that issue when I went to add a load the first time :joy: and you’re totally right. It’s another step of immersion that could/should come only after her current issues are fixed.

1 Like

You can even land this thing on Saba! Love it!

6 Likes

I saw the same but was unable to find any controls to affect the temps. Without engine damage being modeled, I suppose that it does not make a difference where the temps are shown.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply my friend, very helpful

1 Like

Not to condone the CIA’s manipulations, but these Laos flightplans are a great way to do a little historical action learning: LAOS: Historic & extreme Bushflying (and the great livery from @pby5a de Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou N544Y Air America » Microsoft Flight Simulator)

6 Likes

It was odd that we get the NewZEaland world update with a Local legend that has no connection to NZ, so I’m trying to remedy that:

fieldair (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

fieldair (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

fieldair (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

imaginary of course, but Fieldair actually contemplated getting Caribous, so it could have been

uploading tomorrow I hope.

9 Likes

ANZAC tradition? It’s local there :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I can’t disagree.

A great and interesting AC though and I am guessing at the price quite a few simers like myself bought it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When they moved the Beaver from the Canada WU to the 40th Anniversary, it threw the whole Local Legends into disarray.

3 Likes

That doesn’t really explain why they insist on releasing it as a Local Legend rather than a Famous Flyer

1 Like

Is it? The AP-mod has an engines.cfg and a systems.cfg. Or are those available in encrypted aircraft?

1 Like

Yes it’s encrypted. The aircraft.cfg, engines.cfg, flight_model.cfg, and systems.cfg files are not visible in the original folder. There are 3 encrypted files which sit one level up in the DHC-4 folder structure.

1 Like

On the ramp at Westray - normally I fly an Islander in here but the Caribou made it easily

2 Likes

Are Famous Flyers free ? That may be the difference.

As a NZ local legend I would have preferred to see the first Air New Zealand aircraft, the Short Brothers Class C “Empire” flying boat ZK-AMA Aotearoa carrying ten passengers from Auckland to Sydney on Air New Zealand’s first flight on 30 April 1940.

2 Likes

Nope they are just like Local Legend except they aren’t related to the location of a World Update - so exactly like the last two Local Legends planes.