Local Legend VIII: De Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou

Slap some paint on it and she is gtg!

1 Like

Any de-icing? I iced up pretty bad in IMC.

A bit of air in those tires maybe? :rofl:

Iā€™m not really familiar with famous flyer or local legend planes. Can we expect updates to the Caribou? Mostly wondering about the visual issues with the gust lock, and the GPS issues.

I really enjoy the Caribou, and while these issues doesnā€™t ā€œbreakā€ the plane I would love to see it get some attention.

1 Like

Those who say the prop/thrust reverser do work ā€¦ how ? Feels like the prop gets into reverse pitch , but at that point the throttle/engine rpm gets into " idle " , there is no engine rpm /prop rpm , and no way to increase engine rpm/prop rpm , to get any meaningful braking effect ??

1 Like

Although there are exceptions like the very active dev behind the S.55 seaplane most LL and FF has a very slow cycle for bug fixing. Usually 6-12 months or even longer.
A lot of fixes on the SU12 beta list though.

2 Likes

Try the reverser on the apron and do your own pushback before taxiing. Good way of getting a feel for how the reverser operates.

2 Likes

On my end itā€™s some kind of wonder bag.
Maybe it works, or it doesnā€™t.

Having the throttles on idle ā†’ reverser does not work.
Having the throttles a bit open ā†’ reverser sometimes work, sometimes not.

I also think there should be some more love from the devs to this plane.
And hopefully we do not need to wait for months ā€¦

1 Like

Thank you. Maybe I read the wrong changelog because I didnā€™t notice anything about the Caribou.

1 Like

The reverser works fine for me.
I think if you were to take a considered view of this aircraft itā€™s a very accomplished, excellent addition to the Legends condition and the devs were obviously passionate about the aircraft and put a great deal of attention into it.

3 Likes

The fixes are for the older LL, FF and default planes 3+ months old, not the Caribou.

1 Like

Local Legend:

ZK (0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ZK (0009) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

6 Likes

Any documentation available yet?

The plane is fine, no question.
Nice looking model, flies fine in certain circumstances, sound is in my ears a bit weak.

BUT:

• Flaps are not effective enough to slow the plane down
  • Props are not effective enough to slow the plane down
  • GNS has some problems with the flightplan and show the path on the VOR instruments
  • Reverser is not always working as some would asume.

Fixing the above is what I meant that the bird needs a bit more love.

7 Likes

Full flap flight attitude is way too nose high too.

2 Likes

Based on the reading Iā€™ve done on this aircraft the pilots who flew it said it flew like a Cessna, very unusual flight characteristics for an aircraft of this size so Iā€™m not so sure what you say is right - I also base that on how well the short strip landing indicator works as soon as you have full flaps out, the sensitivity to wind at low speeds (noted in the Caribou POH) . And reverse pitch has so far worked every time for me - but thats your own view of course, this is just from my own perspective and Iā€™ wouldnā€™t say I was a good sim pilot in any case.

1 Like

that is what Iā€™m saying , the reverser does not work, I can see the throttle lever go into "reverse " position , the lights for beta range lit up on the dashboard , but there is actually zero braking / reverse thrust effect . The throttle has no " negative range " , rpm stays at idle . I mean the throttle lever does move in negative range , but the engine rpm stays at idle . Watching all videos I can find on youtube , this is pretty much same for everybody . Have to see one , yet , where reverser actually works !!!

1 Like

100% agree

• Full flap flight attitude is way too nose high too
  • A lack of power (never seen more than 80% in thrust of engines)

ā€¦but this bird is wonderfull,
make it legendary

2 Likes

According to the POH the reversers should automatically change the props to reverse pitch when the throttles move upwards as you pass the idle position and the light comes on and any further backward movement increases RPM.

I have the same as you, no increase in RPM. However one person on Avsim claims it has intermittently worked for them.

2 Likes

Reverse pitch works for me every time without issue. Prop lever fully forward and drawing the throttle backwards. Try using the mouse to draw the throttles backwards to see the plane back up on the apron. If there is a bug somewhere it is probably in MSFS rather than the Caribou because reverse pitch can be tricky in most aircraft. I struggled a lot with setting it up for the Twin Otter when that was new.

My controller solution is a bit special. I use pay ware Axis and Ohs to control the throttles from my Honeycomb Bravo. I use the Boeing levers with the reverser mini levers to turn the reverse on and off. Normal throttle is set up as 0-100 and with mini lever activated 0 to -25. On the PAC-750 and other single engine aircraft with reverse pitch I have a Hotas throttle set up with a range from -25 to 100 with the 0 point at the lowest detent.

Before I had this setup I used the ā€œtoggle reverse thrustā€ MSFS key bind for a button at the lever or the ā€˜buttonā€™ below the Bravo lever range set to ā€˜decrease throttleā€™. Using the last method the ā€˜decrease throttleā€™ signal needs to be repeated (by AAO) to make noticeable changes into the reverse pitch territory.

3 Likes