Local Legend VIII: De Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou

Me too… the only problem I had was when I almost crashed putting the throttle into beta when still airborne

1 Like

I think the pitch/throttle reverser works for you on this airplane, because you use the special control mapping so it overrides the " Asobo -orbx " setup ? I have zero issues with other turbofan/ turbine prop airplane add ons activating and using reverser function , but on this it simply does not work . I use the hold reverse thrust button for this function , and it works very well usually , as long as the button is pressed and the throttle is opened up, the thrust is reversed on both jet or prop airplanes with reverse function enabled . As I stated in above comments ,in the DHC-4 the engine/prop rpm does not increase while in reverse mode, while the throttle level visually moves there is no reaction from the engines . Now, with normal , not encrypted engine.cfg I could just adjust the minimum prop pitch into negative value , to bypass this issue , as a solution till a fix is available .

1 Like

I use a TM TCA Captain pack and it works fine with the Caribou as well as with any turboprop or heavy liner.
I can disengage from the apron without requesting pushback, and it’s fun to go to stop after touchdown without using the toe brakes, very powerful by the way.
It can take some seconds to go back on the apron, the plane is rather heavy but slowly and surely you can see it rolling backwards and gain reverse speed. And as soon as I engate beta mode, I can hear the engines taking turn, so yes, reversing in beta mode gets some gas in the inlets and is not idle as some has declared.

2 Likes

I can surely say, for me ,on this airplane the engine /prop rpm does not increase from idle in reverse mode , while it works with every other " reversable " thrust airplanes . And i’m not alone with this issue .I’m using my old X52 HOTAS , and mapped hold thrust reverse button to activate and hold the reverse function . So idk what is going on . I’m positive , if using " special "controllers with dedicated , mapped in negative range on the throttle , or dedicated negative range throttle lever , it will work , simply because it overrides the normal Asobo setup . At least that is what i think .

I have the Honeycomb Bravo without any addons and reverse thrust works as it should. These are my control settings:

honeycomb bravo has built in reverse range too. That is what I was saying above .

ok, so to summarize the " reverse prop -thrust " issue , I think with controllers that has built in reverse range on the throttle , or has separate reverse throttle levers , thrust reverser will work flawlessly . With older, or regular HOTAS or joysticks , without reverse function on the throttle axis , the prop gets into negative pitch as it should , but the engine /prop rpm will not increase in negative range ? This is what i’m seeing after reading the comments here ?

I also have a Honeycomb Bravo and have the same issue. The levers go into reverse, but throttle stays at idle. It appears the pitch actually does reverse, because it will back up…very…very…slowly.

1 Like

On Xboxx my self and have got RB+what ever the button with three lines is called set to Toggle Reverse Thrust. But it dose seem intermittent, and there is no travel on the throttles once it dose go in reverse.

Just resets to normal idle.

1 Like

I have the X52 and tried to set up the reverse, but encountered the problem you describe. It seems it only works with a negative value transmitted via Simconnect as the MSFS -100 to 100 keybind no longer exists.

1 Like

Did you try the X52 " reverse " on other airplanes ? Because mine still works on other airplanes , only with the DHC-4 , I have this issue

Couldn’t get the plane to reverse using the mouse in the cockpit to drag the throttles so it must be a deeper bug than just the controller setup.

2 Likes

It would be nice to see the engine manifold pressure increase if I pull the prop rpm back while doing my run ups as well. Unfortunately this real life behavior is not really modeled in any of the recips so far in the sim. Not even the DC-6.

That works for me but you have to push the throttle controls up first.

What I’ve noticed is if I use the mouse to operate the levers in the VC then I get reasonable push back performance. If I use my quadrant with the Reverse throttle toggle activated, I see the levers move in the VC as expected but I don’t get as much performance as I do if operating them with the mouse. It’s almost as if the Gust Lock is on much like it reduces performance when on for normal throttle operation. :man_shrugging:

PS. I agree with others that I don’t experience the “reduced” reverse performance in other a/c using my quadrant.

1 Like

If I have my external throttles forward, and then use the mouse to drop the on screen throttles back to beta range, I get a sudden blip of power as I move past idle position then everything drops back to idle as I retard further.

I have tried mapping the reverse keyboard options but the prop one just toggles between full fine and full course while the throttle one seems to do nothing.

I’m still trying to get to grips with the WT GNS430. Although I load a flight plan on the world map the GNS430 is blank when I press the flight plan button. What is the trick?

Looks like there is a bug with the GNS 430/530 in a few aircraft, I have the same issue you describe with the Caribou, but also with the L39… No problem whatsoever with the C172 or Beaver for instance. It’s been reported here and also to Working Title on their Discord.

2 Likes

Even if I manually enter waypoints in the GPS, is it coupled to any of the gauge instruments? Or are those only for tracking VORs? I’m a little confused because of lacking documentation.

They should be coupled and the CDI button on the GNS430 GPS should allow you to select VLOC (for VOR) or GPS to be the source for the gauges as for other aircraft), but I’m not sure if that works at the moment since the GPS seem to be bugged on the Caribou…

2 Likes

can someone confirm this bug - rain drops on side windows move in down->up directions, instead of front->back

you can somewhat see it on the screenshot

2 Likes