Local Legend VIII: De Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou

Hi Apollon011: in the meanwhile I’ve found out how to bind a key for decimal changes of the ADF radio with 0.1 increments, however I think this does not help because the only way to change the ADF frequency is turning to the knob of the ADF panel in the aircraft. Perhaps a solution can be found through the Streamdeck( which I use) to make a key event such as ADF_0.5_INC however I could not let this work unfortunately.

1 Like

I see now what you mean. I thought you were referring to the RMI inbetween the pilot-side VOR and VSI. That works fine for NDB1 needle if switched to the ADF1 radio as a source.

If you mean the RMI inbetween the pilot-side oxygen and de-icing panels then yes, both NDB needles point erroneously.

You may wish to vote for this bug to be addressed here:

It works. Only when you are changing the ADF frequency in increments of 0.1 by a keybinding, you can’t see it on the ADF radio panel.

Apollon0011, the ADF frequency in increments of 0.1 by a keybinding works indeed, that is a relief to me, thanks.
Regarding the ADF1 & ADF2 needles pointing to wrong directions: how do I “vote for this bug”? And is this bug now already addressed in the bug section or do I have to take some action for that? I’m a little bit confused about the correct procedure and how to do that.

Center of Gravity problem: some people have earlier noticed that at the start position of the aircaft the CG slider is positioned far to the left. If you put this slider to the right, the meassage “CG out of limit” appears. There is no way to correct this, even if you put the payload slider to zero.

Now, on one of the forums of Flightsimulator I’ve read that this problem should have been solved with some beta file. After this message, that specific forum was closed (so called “problem solved”). However, I cannot find this solution and that specific forum anymore after an extensive search on the Flightsimulator forums. Can any of you remember this?

I’ve found a german website that adressed this problem too (DHC-4 "Caribou" - Local Legend - Seite 2 - Flugzeuge - VFR-Flightsimmer - Flusi.info): “Könnte es sein, dass die DHC-4 einen Fehler in der Flugphysik hat? Warum: Ein Blick in “Gewicht und Gleichgewicht” zeigt zunächst keine Probleme. Allerdings steht der Schwerpunkt bereits sofort im Anschlag nach hinten. Ändert man nun die Nutzlasten, erscheint die Warnung in roter Schrift “Schwerpunkt über Grenzwwert”. Da ändert sich z.B. auch nichts mehr daran, selbst wenn man probeweise alles auf Null stellt”.

I’m afraid that this problem still exists.

I believe you can get the CofG into the allowed zone again. The zone is very small but if you adjust the weights in the three cargo stations you can get back into green.

As I understand it, the CoG slider is there for developers. Don’t use it. Set up an appropriate loading by changing the station weights and fuel loading.

Thought this was an interesting story about a Buffalo. A heavily modified one, but a Buffalo none the less…

1 Like

I understand now the principles of MAC more or less after some internet research. You need to move the CoG slider to get a correct CoG position, which has to be between the predefined CG forward limit of 34,74% MAC and the predefined aft limit of 35,73% MAC and that zone is indeed very small for this aircraft; you can see that on the Weight and Balance sheet of the aircraft in MSFS where the text of the Forw and Aft Limit are overwritten and thus are difficult to read for each other.
By the way: MAC is the distance between the LEMAC: leading edge mean aerodynamic chord) and the TEMAC: trailing edge mean aerodynamic chord. The position of the EWCG (Empty Weight Center of Gravity) is a % of the MAC of the way along the MAC and toward the TEMAC.
When you start the Haribou the CoG lies by default just between the TEMAC and LEMAC. In my case the fuel loading is then 68% and the payload 23,83%.
For a CG that you want to choose and that has to be within the range of the MAC, you need to experiment with the fuel loading and the payload. So when you increase the fuel loading to for instance 100%, it causes a CoG out of limit. To correct this you can decrease the payload to a lower percentage so that the EWCG comes in the middle of the LEMAC and TEMAC after that the red warning will dissapear. All this works fine.

However, the problem stays that if you move the EWCG slider to the right, the CoG indicates a too high percentage which cannot be adjusted anymore by moving the slider backwards again.

Right. So, don’t use the slider.

CoG depends totally on how you load the plane. You can’t just say “Well, this is what my CoG is”.
I’m checking on what options the developer gave for adjusting CoG.
It’s possible to set it up so you can have a load in multiple configurations, but, each configuration would need a different model.

I agree, still I wonder why you are able to use a EWCG slider if you want. It looks like it is useless because this CG corresponds with the empty weight of the aircraft (the EWCG) and that weight does not change: an empty weight of 19.000 lb stays an empty weight of 19.000 lb of course.

Further, the pre-defined difference between the CG forward limit (34,74% MAC) and the CG aft limit (35,73% MAC) of the Caribou seems to be too small. According to the manual T.O. 1C-7A-1 page 5-10 Figure 5-4 the difference is much greater (11% MAC, 8% MAC and 8 % MAC resp. at a weight of 21.000 lb, 26.000 lb and 28.500 lb).

I understand some don’t want autopilot but isn’t the simple solution to just not use it? That makes it available to those that want it.

4 Likes

I bought the Caribou last night and I absolutely love it. I don’t normally fly aircraft this large, but I personally love three types of aircraft: vintage, military, and bush/STOL, and this is basically all of that put into one. I’ve been waiting for a good C-130 to come out, but I admit, I think this suits me much better than a C-130 ever would.

Biggest complaint I have are the quickviews being wrong. Why do SO many aircraft have the quickviews programmed in the wrong directions? Any developers out there that might be reading this, please listen - same for you Microsoft/Asobo - Quickviews are extremely important to some of us. I can’t stress it enough. Please make sure your quickviews are correct. I hope they fix that, but I’m still waiting for them to fix the quickviews on some of the 40th anniversary aircraft. It’s a small complaint, but it’s one of my pet peeves because it’s such a simple thing to get right and one of those things that you never think would be an issue. You just assume that they would work correctly.

Ok, rant over :sweat_smile:

Otherwise, I love the plane. I didn’t know much about the aircraft before now, but now that I’m learning about it, I’m really appreciating what it can do. I’m impressed by its STOL capabilities. It’s always great having an aircraft that can get in and out of almost any airport/airstrip that you want.

6 Likes

Those who use the StreamDeck 32 key version: here is an Autopilot for the DHC-4 Caribou. You need Lorby’s Axis and OHs SD plugin installed on your Elgato StreamDeck.

I have not developed this AP myself. I’ve only collected the SD key settings from existing bindings from various aircraft which I’ve found on Flightsim.to for which I give all the credit to the builders/developers concerned, mentioned on Flightsim.to.

For me this autopilot works fine, however I will take no responsibility and neither will give any support for not working or for any problems. So do not ask me. If it works: lucky you; if not: bad luck.

Key Title: AP
Key type: Lorby-SI AxisAndOhs - Toggle
Key Down: K: AP_MASTER
Event Value: 1
Read: A: AUTOPILOT MASTER, Bool
ON Value: 1
Repeat: No
LP after ms: 750
Auto Rate: Slow

Key Title: HDG
Key Down: K: AP_HDG_HOLD
Read: A: AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK, Bool

Key Title: HDG-1
Key type: Lorby-SI AxisAndOhs - Event
Key Down: event: K: HEADING_BUG_DEC
Repeat: Yes

Key Title: HDG+1
Key Down: event: K: HEADING_BUG_INC

Key Title: HDG-10
Key Down: event: S: 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_DEC|10)

Key Title: HDG+10
Key Down event: S: 1 (>K:HEADING_BUG_INC|10)

Key Title: ALT
Key Down: K: AP_ALT_HOLD
Read: A: AUTOPILOT ALTITUDE LOCK, Bool

Key Title: ALT-100
Key Down event: S: (A:AUTOPILOT ALTITUDE LOCK VAR:0, feet) 100 - (>K:AP_ALT_VAR_SET_ENGLISH)

Key Title: ALT+100
Key Down event: S: (A:AUTOPILOT ALTITUDE LOCK VAR:0, feet) 100 + (>K:AP_ALT_VAR_SET_ENGLISH)

Key Title: ALT-1000
Key Down event: S: (A:AUTOPILOT ALTITUDE LOCK VAR:0, feet) 1000 - (>K:AP_ALT_VAR_SET_ENGLISH)

Key Title: ALT+1000
Key Down event: S: (A:AUTOPILOT ALTITUDE LOCK VAR:0, feet) 1000 + (>K:AP_ALT_VAR_SET_ENGLISH)

Key Title: NOSE UP
Key Down event: K: AP_VS_VAR_INC
Event value: 1

Key Title: NOSE DN
Key Down event: K: AP_VS_VAR_DEC
Event value: 1

Key Title: Text Gauge
Key type: Lorby-SI AxisAndOhs - TextGauge
Variable 1: A: AUTOPILOT HEADING LOCK DIR, degrees
Offset: 0
Multiplier: 1
Decimals: 0
Leading Os: 0
Shift X: 0
Shift Y: 105
Font: Verdana
Font Size: 40
Split Text: No
Min Width: 10
Stretch Split: No
Text Color: orange
OFF Background Image Upload
ON Background Image: Upload

Variable 1: A: AUTOPILOT ALTITUDE LOCK VAR, Feet

Variable 1: A: AUTOPILOT VERTICAL HOLD VAR, Feet/minute

Key Title: ALT
Variable 1: A: INDICATED ALTITUDE, Feet
Shift Y: 80
Font: Arial
Font Size: 50
Text Color: green
Variable 2: A: PLANE ALT ABOVE GROUND, Feet
Shift Y: 130
Font: Arial
Font Size: 30
Text color: red

2 Likes

OK, I’m stumped with this reverse thrust. Nothing’s happening. I don’t get what I’m doing wrong.

1 Like

Nothing wrong on your side.
The implementation of reverse thrust / beta range is wrong.

:sob: Hope they fix it. Would be a lot more fun if it worked.

It works well for me.

I created this livery request for the Caribou, if you are interested too please click “I want it too”

2 Likes

The reverse range is only active over 30 knots GS. Below 30 it automatically disengages to avoid drawing debris into the engine. So it’s difficult to use for reverse.

1 Like

Cool! I have one up for a colourful Ghana Air Force livery as well.

1 Like