LOD > 2.0 + true Ultra Setting - is it possible after the ultra setting bug?

Sorry if this is a basic question.

How is it possible after manually setting LOD > 2.0 in UserCfg.opt to make this setting not being changed when doing the work around for the Ultra Settings not sticking bug (change to low-end setting, save and go back to Ultra). When saving back to ultra the goes back to 2.0.

If I turn the UserCfg.opt to a read only file, will the work around for ultra setting bug work? Will the sim be able change the file to become “total” ultra (bringing back texture detail etc…) while maintaining LOD > 2.0?

thanks a lot in advance for your input! Love this forum.

1 Like

What I know is that if the cfg file is read only the game cant change the file. As for the bug if you do the switch low-high ingame as long as usercfg is write only, it wont change it, you might lose some of your high end settings ingame until you restart then the sim will go back and use your usercfg file again.

Of course if your always bugged everytime you restart the game, well then this isnt going to help much but all you can do and try it.

1 Like

You should be able to have the file ready while in sim, set Low / Ultra then make a copy of the cfg, shut down the sim, make the edits you want to the config file for LOD ect… then save and set read only ?

Can’t follow.

I set the UserCfg.opt to the settings that I want.
Obj LOD=9 and Terrain LOD = 9.
And then make the file “Read Only”.

General settings to “Ultra” and no other changes to anything.
It still displays “Ultra” and not “Custom”.

LOD 9?! I dont understand how people are having a playable sim over LOD2 tbh

I have a i7 8700k / 32gb / 3070 system. (4k, but ive tried 1440p also, not much better) If i go to LOD 2 for terrain and objects, and set it all to ultra its well below 30fps on ground at larger airports. Unplayable imo.

just dont understand how people are using these 3, 4, 5s and up LODs (shrug)

6 Likes

Unplayable. ??? imo ???
Did you try it?

I had another user make the same response.

I can assure and guarantee you that it is flyable and enjoyable.

I can prove it.

I can record a flight and save it with Geforce Experience.
You can see it.

But, I have no knowledge of how to get it to Youtube or somewhere
that you can see the flight.

If you want to challenge this, I’m sure someone will help/tell me how to do it.
The last user backed off.

Will you?

1 Like

i will absolutely try it :slight_smile: I just know that i tried LOD3 and it basically turned into a slide show.

What rez and settings you playing at? And what specs you got?

1 Like

Do you have live traffic and ground traffic on?

You should be try it and find out. Only thing that can happen is it doesnt work.

Its because fps doesnt matter that much in a flight sim. Im running at 3840 4k on a i7-6 and 16 gigs of mem. I get a pretty solid 18-20 fps the whole time. It doesnt lag or stutter nice and smooth. LOD’s are set to 10 raytracing is on just a couple of the lighting things like bloom and motion blur are turned off (not because of performance issues, just because I hate those effects hehe). And I started with settings to Ultra in game and then edited the usercfg file from there…

Yes like i mentioned i did try LOD3 already, and it was a slide show (anything below 25 is basically unplayable to me, and i know everyone is different, and yes, even for a flight sim). And i certainly am not one of those guys that expects 60fps or something. If i get a steady 30 with no drops its fine for me - as its a flight sim

I will once again try pushing it over LOD3 but i think its a moot point since it was not enjoyable and going higher is not going to help at all lol

1 Like

If its a slide show then there is something else going on. And thats the trouble with this game IMHO, 1st you have to be a computer owner/tech, then you have to be a network/tech, and then sometimes you just have to get lucky.

Go here and run a speed test and tell me what your getting for bufferbloat dslreports.com
If your getting alot of bufferbloat that can cause your stutters (doesnt matter how fast your connecton seems if you have BB issue it tends to blow the sim away)…

I guess the term ‘slide show’ is subjective in a sense. Its all perception right, and to me 18-20fps is not smooth at all and chunky. I just cant play like that. You and i could both look at the same images and frames and have different opinions, and thats ok. Im not even worried about the frame number per se, but if its not smooth to my eye and chunky i dont find it enjoyable. Im sure im not alone.

What i was more referring to i guess is that i see a lot of people post that say they are using super high LODs, like 7 8 or 9, and apparently get 30+ fps or more “on Ultra”. I just dont get it.

2 Likes

I agree. In August 2020, the PC I built specifically for MFS was without a GPU because a good one was hard to find. I had to install an RX 570 as a placeholder. I figured that with it, I could at least install the OS and Flight Simulator so that they’d be ready to go when I could finally get a 3080. To my surprise, that very modest card gave me 17-20 fps near the ground and somewhat better at high altitude, but at 17 FPS, the sim looked and ran just great at medium settings. Some users with high-end hardware now limit the FPS to 30 in the game because that’s all they want. I have no idea why 30 fps is “unplayable” unless it’s 30 fps with lots of pauses and stutters, but TheNinGLinGer didn’t mention those problems

And i also actually said that if im on all ultra with LOD2 or higher “its WELL BELOW 30fps around large airports, which is unplayable to me”

There are no real stutters or pauses. I was just curious how others are getting steady 30+ fps on ‘all ultra’ with LODs at very nigh numbers. And sorry 18-20 fps is not smooth, at least not to these old eyes

2 Likes

It is for some of us. Very smooth.

1 Like

If I run at 1920 Im getting 40-45 fps and its just as smooth as 3840 4k just not as many fps is the only difference and the resolution of course. If your seeing chunky at 30fps then something is not correct.

Lol you guys keep doing that! Thats not whst i said, Look above, i said 18-20 is chunky :wink:

I said if its steady 30, its fine (as its a flight sim).

Again, the question or comment i posed was, how are ppl on ultra with crazy high LODs getting 30+. Now it fimally helps that you said you are playing at 1080p

Im playing at both, 3840 4k on a 55" uhd tvset and I can play at 1920 on my 1080 monitor as well. They both run exactly the same except 3840 4k - 18-20 fps 1080i 45 fps. Both smooth as silk no stutters at all.

1 Like