LOD > 2.0 + true Ultra Setting - is it possible after the ultra setting bug?

No need.
Do not touch LOD slider.

2 Likes

Is the terrain lod factor taxing on the CPU or GPU?

Hello again :slight_smile: Mine says Custom in my UserCfg.opt

I am only losing around 2fps if i crank it up to 9.0 LOD and the difference in terms of visual fidelity is huge!

Top one is with LOD 2.0
Bottom one is with LOD 9.0

3 Likes

See I told you all so! ROFL Last night I was actually getting 21fps in true 3840 4k mode…Im not sure what the hell that is all about but I’ll take it… ;p

Both CPU and GPU.
The following guide will help you better understand.

1 Like

My straight on view handles LOD 9.0 quite well (30 fps), BUT panning my head around causes a substantial drop in frames and stuttering. This gets substantially better when I am above 5000 feet.

For me, this causes it to be unplayable with TrackIr with LOD > 4.

Are you guys using TrackIr? Maybe fixed views would work better since panning constantly needs to load textures?

It is real as far as I know.

With ASOBO, you really never know.

All the folks saying your seeing ‘smooth’ performance in LOD 9, can you please let me know how much fps do you see in the New York Discovery flight?

I have the Sim running in a GPU passthrough Virtual machine, with 32 GB RAM, a 2080 and 6 cores 12 threads of 3900x. I get 28-34 fps by making the UserCfg.opt ‘read only’ and setting resolution to 4K there. In game, the resolution shows as 1440p.

If I increase both the LoDs to anything to 3, I drop to 15-20 fps with 5-7 fps during heavy camera panning. Increasing it more drops everything down to 5-7 fps. LoD 9 is ruled out. I’m surprised that folks with a 1660Ti get 18-20 fps with LoD 9. What resolution are you running in?

3 Likes

Im not using trackir here just a big monitor / small monitor. I know what your talking about with the turning you head stutters though. This was an issue with the game and just a regular monitor in the past.

The only real cure for this is the placebo motion blur setting. It hides the stutters by blurring the scenery as it moves by your face. The cause is more then likely is that trackir moves faster then the screen can cope with.

So I guess your only real solution is to play on a monitor with a fast response time, or maybe turn your head s l o w e r when your looking left or right etc.

FPS = 15 with GTX 1660 TI and true 4K Ultra and Obj & Terrain both = 9 each.

Note: Followed procedure to change Ultra to Low and save and then change it back to Ultra and save it, etc.

I don’t know why everyone with 3080, 3090 GPUs are so critical of 1660s being able to display 4K Ultra.

My GTX 1660 TI can display FS2020 at Ultra, Obj and Terrain = LOD 9 each with a smooth display at 16 FPS.

I fly the WT CJ4 . It handles well.

1 Like

Sorry if I sounded critical, but people use a subjective term like ‘smooth’ when mentioning their experience, instead of mentioning the numbers they see, and that is slightly misleading. And 9 LOD on a 1660Ti with 4K doesn’t seem realistic, unless there is a code path that can unlock such performance, like with the Ultra to Low and backforth issue, that other folks are mentioning.

Back to the Ultra to Low issue, could you please let me know if you had to make your UserCgf file read only? I’m not able to reproduce the exact steps to try.

Hi there. Did you edit cfg file and apply read file only?

Yes. Use File explorer and “Properties” to make it not Read Only.

Then make your changes to it with Notepad.

Then Use File explorer and “Properties” to make it Read Only.

Then go to FS2020 and change the General Options setting to “LOW”. Apply and save it.

Then go to FS2020 and change the General Options setting to "Ultra’ or whatever you want. Apply and save it.

Then go to FS2020 and go to World Map.

2 Likes

@MSFSRonS Thanks for those steps. Tried them, and below is my UserCfg.

I get 3-4 fps over NYC in Discovery Flight. So, that settng still doesn’t work for me. You discovered some black magic on your 1660Ti :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your RTX 2080 should do a lot better than my GTX 1660 TI.
I have an i9-9900K CPU, 64 GB RAM and M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (Samsung 970 EVO Plus)

Don’t give up.
Here are my Options

Do you have turned on?
Live Air Traffic
Live Weather
Multiplayer

The bottom of this screen now shown but I have an 8GB
Rolling Cache set.

I get the same as you with a 1080 ti … I haven’t even tried it one 1660 laptop yet. Hmmm Im wondering if I should now LOL…

I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a 3090 and I can’t get close to 9.0 and still fly anywhere near a city or it’s a slide show. I also don’t understand how anyone can put it 9.0 LOD and say it’s smooth. I could take a nice screen shot at that level but no flying is possible.
If I put it at 4.0 at a KDFW Gate w/ clouds/rain or anything other than few or clear it’s 15 fps with spurts of 20 fps.
This is with ALL settings at Max/Ultra
Render Scale 130
Photogrammetry ON
49inch Samsung Odyssey G9 at native 5120x1440 Res

I’ve settled on 3.0 Objects and 2.5 Terrain. it’s good enough

And here’s what not to do … D’oh

Looking at your GPU vRAM usage, I’m sure that’s LoD 9 :grinning: