LOD Problems - Distances revisited

Yes I also thought something has changed, in VR at least - I have bumped up my LOD slider a bit to compensate.

Yes, I did my test runs again while measuring data use and get a little less data now with the same terrain detail settings and slightly higher fps. It seems the LOD distances have been adjusted down a little bit.

Not much though. I noticed the biggest difference over NY, 10% to 15% reduction in data with PG data on, about 10% less data streamed without PG data over London.

For me it feels like the max tree distances, even on ultra trees and 300 Lod, are quite a bit down on where they have been before. I thought they mentioned in a q+a that trees now go to horizon? This isn’t the case for me, flying in VR with above settings.

1 Like

Can anybody help me. This ground texture issue is terrible. I hav no rolling cache an 400 mbit lan connection. Thanks

I have flown all over the world, but somehow fail to recognize the place :stuck_out_tongue: A location would help!

First check on Bing maps what it looks like. It will never look better than there. However Bing maps can still look better since FS2020 uses an older copy (2013 data unless updated with one of the world updates)

Squares not loading can be a server issue. The game doesn’t handle that very well. You can force a reload of the scenery by first switching all data off (wait for the default scenery to show up) and then turn it back on. That should re-download the area.

However Bing maps can still look better since FS2020 uses an older copy (2013 data unless updated with one of the world updates)

2013? No wonder many places outside Europe and the Americas look so bad in the sim.

I have the same problem as you in SU9. The LOD seems not to work well.

1 Like

They basically nerfed it, I guess for Xbox performance. They put out some half hearted vegetation slider in SU8, but that didn’t actually exist and was just an explanation about how they’ve now nerfed it, dressed up to be a bonus feature. Asobo would do well in politics.

3 Likes

Yeo the sim destroyed by its release for XBox and SU5. Anyone who denies it has their head in the sand. Such a tragedy. It’s not half the sim it was.

5 Likes

I have also noticed they have nerfed LOD in last updates. Funny thing even performance went worse, so they completely ruined it up…

2 Likes

any fixes yet?

Unfortunately LODs feel like they’re getting smaller again. Hopefully SU10 has some increases again.

I think what users want is more fine grained control over LOD draw distances than we currently have. And options to increase draw distances well above what we currently have. And sure, you may need to have a beast of a PC to do that. But many of us have that beast.

2 Likes

Here is my issue. When I load into any airport all the scenery loads in correctly. But once I take off all the scenery ends about 2 miles after takeoff in all directions. Then the scenery WILL NOT load back in until I’m on the ground for 20min. It started about a month and a half ago. I took all 3rd party stuff out and the issues still occurs. I got a 1060 GTX card with 16GB Ram and a i5 Chip. My internet is fast so idk. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this…

1 Like

Exactly the same problem. I used a VPN en when turning it off I got the scenery back.

You said you use a private VPN? What did you turn off to get the scenery back?

Disabled VPN. I noticed it gave me a lower render latency then with VPN on. That gave me my scenery back, which almost looked like a desert about 10/15 km away. (TLOD=200 to 400)
It’s just a guess, but it helped me a lot.

I did that. I use the default vpn that comes with Windows 10. The dessert like scenery still accurs. I also tried xpressvpn. That also did not work. I want to cry lol cause i have tried i think just about everything. I already made a ticket with Microsoft and their looking into it. I kinda saw it happen too in xplane 11. With the true earth California

What VPN are you using? Windows or a 3rd party? And when you switched it off…do you have to restart the pc for it to take affect?

I use ExpressVPN. Location sometimes Switserland/France or Netherlands-Rotterdam, but it is not an issue anymore. Both Lods on 3.000.000 ( in UserCfg.opt) and framerates 50-100.
Using DX12 and HDR with Rex Weather Force, no impact whatsoever.

But a totally different system than yours:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32 GB, B550 Aorus Elite V2, NVidia RTX 3080 12MB in a BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX case.
A heavy investment, I can tell you, but very worth it for MSFS2020. No limitations anymore.