Logbook hrs have completely gone in SU9 / beta

I lost all my logbook hours during the SU9 beta, even though I did not leave / exit the beta at any point (I think it was the borked beta that did it).

Updating to the latest SU9 has not brought my hours back.

@Jummivana You marked this as completed in the beta bugs but it still isn’t for me. I tagged @OlieTsubasa443 a couple of weeks ago asking if it could be looked into, but no response.

Could I please get some feedback on this? Obviously it’s quite upsetting to lose nearly 900 hours of experience and logs.

It is the same with me. However, I went from the beta back to the normal build. All logbook entries were lost and can not be restored via the cloud. I am on the XBOX

Same here, 1100 hours gone! I left the beta due to CTD’s and I had to reinstall the whole sim because my ready to fly button was gone! I rejoined the beta as I was told it should reinstate my hours but they were still gone…

It sounds like you got pushed that backwards update back to WU8?

I don’t think there’s anything they will/can do about it. It’s happened several times since the sim’s release.

A reliable backup/import/export feature needs to be introduced.

The Community has been requesting this since release date, and the first time a log-book was lost “in the cloud”

My suggestion to Community members would be to occasionally back up a copy of their WGS folder, and all its sub-folders and files. I believe the LOG Book is a Binary file, under WGS, and at least if they have a backup, and there should be some way to fool the system, into loading that as opposed to the corrupted copy of the LogBook on the Cloud, and then save that intact version back to the cloud, when MSFS is closed.

While this may not be a solution for those on X-BOX, it may be a work around for those on a PC.

I personally start MSFS with a Batch file, and one of the first thing it does is to create a new unique folder, named the date & time, and copy the WGS folder there, before starting MSFS.

If I was to ever Loose my Log Book “on the Cloud”, I will then have a copy, that I could figure out how to force back into the sim - not tried that yet – have not lost my Logbook “yet” – but then, I run 99% of the time in Dev Mode, so do not generate any new LogBook Entries.

Simple, crude batch file example - copy / use at your own risk –

echo off
cls
echo ###############################################
echo #    BACKING UP MSFS Configs and Settings     #
echo.
set CUR_YYYY=%date:~10,4%
set CUR_MM=%date:~4,2%
set CUR_DD=%date:~7,2%
set CUR_HH=%time:~0,2%
if %CUR_HH% lss 10 (set CUR_HH=0%time:~1,1%)

set CUR_NN=%time:~3,2%
set CUR_SS=%time:~6,2%
set CUR_MS=%time:~9,2%

set SUBFILENAME=%CUR_YYYY%%CUR_MM%%CUR_DD%-%CUR_HH%%CUR_NN%%CUR_SS%
set BU_DIR=C:\MSFS_CONFIG_BACKUPS
IF exist %BU_DIR% (echo  OK: Backup folder %BU_DIR% exits  ) ELSE (mkdir %BU_DIR% && echo Note: Backup folder %BU_DIR% Created)

xcopy  "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs" "%BU_DIR%\%SUBFILENAME%\WGS"  /e/h/i/q  
echo (1) "WGS" folder has been backed up.
echo.
xcopy "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base\worldmap\WorldmapFilters.xml" "%BU_DIR%\%SUBFILENAME%" /q
echo (2) "WorldmapFilters.xml" has been backed up
echo.
xcopy "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt" "%BU_DIR%\%SUBFILENAME%" /q
echo (3) "UserCfg.opt"  has been backed up
echo.

Warning: DO NOT share the files in WGS with others.
Some of these files can contain private information, like Product License codes etc, that you do not others having access to !!

Don’t think so. I only updated to more betas.

I still have my logbook, but since the last patch, no more entries.
At the end of a flight, the logbook windows appears, but with a wrong plane, wrong start/destination and 0.00 flight times.

1 Like

I was able to improve a little bit on this batch file, becuse my UserCfg.opt was not backed op. It appeared I needed to add the ‘/G’ option to copy an encrypted file to a non-encrypted location.
Also the WorldMapFilters location can be different depending on your MSFS base folder. You need to adapt to your situation.
Lastly I tweaked the date offsets to match the output of a date in my locale. So you need to run %date% in a cmd-window and count what your offsets should be.

echo off
cls
echo #    BACKING UP MSFS Configs and Settings     #
echo.
set CUR_YYYY=%date:~9,4%
set CUR_MM=%date:~6,2%
set CUR_DD=%date:~3,2%
set CUR_HH=%time:~0,2%
if %CUR_HH% lss 10 (set CUR_HH=0%time:~1,1%)

set CUR_NN=%time:~3,2%
set CUR_SS=%time:~6,2%
set CUR_MS=%time:~9,2%

set SUBFILENAME=%CUR_YYYY%%CUR_MM%%CUR_DD%-%CUR_HH%%CUR_NN%%CUR_SS%
set BU_DIR=E:\msfs\Backup
IF exist %BU_DIR% (echo  OK: Backup folder %BU_DIR% exits  ) ELSE (mkdir %BU_DIR% && echo Note: Backup folder %BU_DIR% Created)

xcopy  "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs" "%BU_DIR%\%SUBFILENAME%\WGS"  /e/h/i/q  
echo (1) "WGS" folder has been backed up.
echo.
xcopy "D:\MSFS\Official\OneStore\fs-base\worldmap\WorldmapFilters.xml" "%BU_DIR%\%SUBFILENAME%" /G/q
echo (2) "WorldmapFilters.xml" has been backed up
echo.
xcopy "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt" "%BU_DIR%\%SUBFILENAME%" /G/q
echo (3) "UserCfg.opt"  has been backed up
echo.

I am so pleased that you found this of use, and were able to modify it to match your needs.

I wrote this batch file some time ago, quick & dirty, to do backups for me, and sinec it worked, adopted the attitude “If it ain’t broke, dont fix it” – and it has been running ever since, automatically, before MSFS starts.

Not fully understanding the /G bit. maybe its something to do with the way you have the file system on your MSFS set up ? Encrypted File system

Copying Encrypted Files

Xcopy also supports copying encrypted files to destinations that do not support encryption. Using the /G switch, Xcopy copies encrypted source files and creates decrypted destination files.

This copy mode is helpful, especially when backing up encrypted files to network shares or non-Encrypting File System (EFS) volumes.

While I am all in favor of an encrypted file system for many confidential programs & data, it might be pushing your luck to add that overhead to MSFS, which is unstable enough as it already is !!

The MSFS debug & copy protection already in MSFS is already an added complication, that I have a “gut feeling”, is already causing issues for some.

1 Like

Lately I notice at the end of a flight, my log book is empty. I f I leave the page open, within a moment, the page corrects itself? and all my entries from the first are there. I checked the last dozen flights , All good?

1 Like