Logbook not logging

My logbook has cheated me out of several flights, including two 300+ nautical mile flights just today.

Same as the OP - game shows correct flight information, I click continue… and the flight isn’t logged.

This is exasperating. I just started a few days ago, and I’ve probably lost at least a third of my total flight hours, possibly as much as half.

As reported by others - when you kill the engines the choice to go to the main menu or continue pops up - if you exit tot he main menu, the flights seem to be recorded correctly – if you choose continue - the flight isn’t record.

So until this is fixed - will have to forgo proper shut down procedures if you want the flight logged.

I can’t explain why this is bothering me so much, but I have been gradually flying GA aircraft from KEWR, now about to head to HEBA. The logbook doesn’t log accurately, and if at all.

I too probably have about 40 hours not logged. Playing MSFS, I love the product but make no mistake - all of us are glorified BETA testers.

1 Like

I will say that since I started using Return to Menu from the pop-up window every time, instead of Continue, it has logged all of my flights properly. That’s only about one night’s flying, though (five flights) so I don’t know if that really solves it or if I’ve just been lucky.

I haven’t had a single flight log since Sep 15th and if I can get the dialogue to pop up at the end of a flight it’s always the same A320 KDFW-KDFW 0 minute flight.

LOOK AT THE DATE OF THE LOGBOOK ENTRY
You can quickly identify the date your logbook started misbehaving by looking at the date of the most recent log entry.

EXIT DEVELOPER MODE – DON’T JUST TURN IT OFF
It appears that developer mode – unsurprisingly – may interfere with the logbook triggers. Specifically, if you are messing with CFG file parameters and using developer mode to resync the plane, it may keep the logbook from updating.

Go to the developer mode menu (upper left in flight screen) and select “exit” to exit developer mode. It may be that just turning it off in the options screen still hangs up the logbook logic.

HAVE THE OBJECTIVES WINDOW OPEN
To make sure you meet all the objectives for a flight, keep the objectives window open and complete them all.

USE ATC ASSISTANCE FOR TAXIING TO GATE / PARKING
Departures seem seem to always log correctly since the early December patch – takeoffs and in-air departures. Landings seem to be much more picky, but here’s what has always worked for me:

At controlled airports you don’t have to use ATC for landing, but after you land, exit the runway onto a taxiway. Tune ground, and ask to taxi to the gate or to GA parking. Turn on navigation assistance before you do this. ATC will provide instructions and blue arrows to the parking location. Acknowledge the taxi instructions, then taxi to the indicated space – it turns green when you’re in the right location. Kill the engine and then kill the master battery. You should get the end of flight menu – and I always exit to the main menu instead of continuing the flight.

At uncontrolled airports, you won’t be able to get ATC taxiing instructions, so just kill the engine and then the battery as soon as you get off the runway and stopped on the taxiway.

REFLY THE MOST RECENT LOGBOOK FLIGHT TO “UNHANG” IT
Make sure you’ve exited developer mode, then click on the most recent logbook entry. You’ll see an option to fly that flight again. Re-fly it using the techniques above to end the flight.

HOW TO KNOW IF IT FIXED THE LOGBOOK PROBLEM
If the procedures above fixed the problem, you should see today’s date for the logbook entry. If it didn’t, it will still be the date when it first broke.

A320 / ENGINE WON’T SHUT DOWN BUG
If you are unable to shut down the plane’s engine, then you may not be able to trigger the end of flight logic, or it might not correctly trigger the logbook logic even if you do get the end of flight screens.

Try flying the most recent leg with a different plane whose engines WILL shut down. I think it’s just the landing, taxiing, and shut-down portion that is necessary to make the logbook work again.

Good luck and happy flying!

2 Likes

Same here

Missing TAKE - OFFS only from small airports.

The moment I shutdown after marshalled to the stand, I get a pop-up with the correct route and the correct hours. However, after clicking continue and complete the other shutdown items (e.g. lights off, magnetos off, fuel tanks closed, etc…) and the proceed to exit the scenario back to the main screen, and then enter my logbook it shows the departure runway to be the same as the arrival runway with 0:00 logged (e.g. dep: EHAM, arr: EHAM, flight time: 00:00:00, even though the real departure airport was EHRD).

When you fly in a VA and you need to cut the engines off to validate your flight, the MFS window appears with the options “Main menu” and “Continue”. Il you click on “Main menu” you can’t validate your flight in the Virtual Airline. (the tracker indicates No complete flight). If you click on “Continue”, you can validate the VA flight but on the MFS logbook, the time will stay at 00. Could you please fix this ! Thank you !
Stéphan

Since around the 17th December my flights are not being recorded in the logbook, causing lost hours to take me to next level (100 hours flown). Do not know if this is a common problem or not.

I have used various planes and locations but this doesn’t help. Last flight to be recorded was in the Cessna 172S Skyhawk on 24th December. I have done 3 short flights today but no record or those flights.

1 Like

May be:
Remove “Developer Mode” in General Parameters Options

I am NOT in Developer mode, but I did a flight in Lukla, with 1 take off and 1 landing, and they are not recorded! The flight is recorded but 0 landing, 0 take off!

I have flown with and without “Developer Mode” but this seems to make no difference. Flights seem to record randomly now. It might have been an update around the 17th December that has caused this issue. Prior to that date, all flight recorded fine (some showed 0 time flown). I am very new to the flight sim world (last time I played it was back in the mid 90’s) and it may be something I have done.

I did record a flight yesterday but no settings were changed.

One more stipulation that I heard about. If you press “CONTINUE” after the flight, it probably will not log. Rumor has it that return to main menu will cause it to log.

Go into your profile and change the aircraft to the one you are planning to fly. If it doesn’t match the aircraft you select for your flight, it doesn’t record. Looks like a bug.

I find the inconsistency in bugs people are experiencing very frustrating. I had had logging issues in the past, but since the last update, every single flight is now being logged correctly. The issue with destination being logged as (vicinity) even fixed. It’s hard to tell why some experience issues and not others consistently. Very odd.

I experienced the same missing take-offs & landings from my logbook since MSFS2020 was launched. Thought it’s me being a rookie and can’t fly. Sometimes it records landings but no take-offs.

I’ve rarely pressed continue after finishing a flight. It is normally Main Menu I click. I really am unsure as to what might have changed as MiroCanada has pointed out.

A quick update on this issue since my last post. Flight have started to record as normal again. Most flights since the 26th December that say 0 “total time of flight” has been me setting up and cancelling a flight.

Very odd how/why this happend. Is anyone else still having issues with this?

Brief description of the issue: On the morning of 12/27, my logbook all of a sudden lost all my flights. At first I thought it was my fault, but at about the same time I was speaking with several other people who had the same problem, so I figured it might be widespread. However, I have not seen anyone speaking about it, nor any word of a fix, so now I’m wondering what the issue is.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered: None available, just a completely blank logbook as of 12/27.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: None.

So, as I said above, my logbook just “disappeared”, like either local files had been deleted (which is what I first thought, but turns out the filed I did delete had nothing to do with logbooks. Since several others I was chatting with on the forums had the same problem at the same time, I thought it might be an everybody problem, but that’s the last I heard of it from anyone.

My logbook still works, but it’s like I just lost everything before that morning.

So my questions are, is this widespread, is it known about, is it getting fixed, could it be something myself and the other 2 guys did to ourselves somehow, or do I have a legit bug that just happened to happen to at least 2 other people at the exact same time?

TIA for any thoughts, comments, advice, or help anyone can provide.