Logbook times differ from airplane clock

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

On 12/15/22 I flew a C172SP in a closed pattern at Newport, OR - KONP rwy34. The screenshots 1.-7. illustrate what I observed.

1. Ready to roll on rwy 34.
  2. Note Zulu Time: 1750
  3. Local Time 0951
  4. Landed on KONP rwy 34. Local time 0958.
  5. Zulu Time 1759
  6. Flight Time 10 min.
  7. Logbook entry for flight
    KONP is in the Pacific Standard time zone, 8 hours behind Zulu. The local & Zulu times in 2. - 3. and 4.- 5. have the correct 8 hour differences. Time to get screenshots accounts for the 1 min differences.
    The flight time in 6. – 10 min – is again correct; the extra minute is for taking screenshots.
    In the logbook entry for the flight in 7. the date and location are correct, but the times shown don’t appear to have anything to do with those shown by the airplane’s clock. The time of flight is 5:43 ?? The depart & arrive times are PM, yet the Operational Conditions times are shown as DAY ???.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Run MSFS. Hit WORLD MAP > SELECT DEPARTURE > KONP. Set Departure from KONP rwy 34, time slider to 9:51am. Hit FLY / READY to FLY. Take screenshots 1.- 3. Fly the pattern & land. Take screenshots 4.-6. Go to Main Menu > Profile > My Logbook; take screenshot 7.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

HP Omen 17t / W11 Home / 32 GB RAM / Intel Core i7-11800H / NVIDIA RTX 3070. Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

No extra info required, as OP covered the issue.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Just curious, since you’re in the 172, how does the logged time compare to the Hobbs meter time??
Regards

I’d never before paid any attention to the Hobbs. I repeated the flight from my Logbook bug post a couple of times. The panel clock showed Flight Times of 8 min & 9 min. The Hobbs read 119.8 before the first flight, then 119.9 and 120.0 after each flight. It seems to be essentially inoperative. Could do another bug report, but why bother …

1 Like

I was just interested because the Hobbs doesn’t report “clock time”, just essentially a percentage of clock time based on one of several selected factors, so was just wondering if they somehow tied it into the logged time. But I doubt they went that far! Thanks for the info!
Regards

I have two comments on this. I did some tests on the Hobbs counter in the C172SP model. I ran the engine at various rpm’s and used a stopwatch to measure time at each 0.1 hr step of the Hobbs. Hobbs appears to count engine revolutions (rpm x clock time), advancing 1 min. per 2700 turns. The Hobbs in my RW C172L also counts engine turns.

I did some flights in the PST time zone, in the C172SP & recorded the UT, LT and FT at departure and arrival as shown by the panel clock. The UT was exactly 8 hours ahead of LT (OK). The logbook flight time was usually less than the clock FT, by around 1 min. This could be due in part to how the app detects when the airplane is “in flight” (I don’t know), and also because the clock FT reading is to the nearest minute of actual depart & arrive times & could be off by +/- ½ min. The clock vs logbook depart & arrive times were another matter. In one flight - clock UT: 11:40 vs logbook UT: 2:04; in another – clock UT: 20:52 vs logbook UT: 15:34. I haven’t seen any consistent relationship of clock vs logbook. This looks like a bug to me, but why bother reporting it as such …

1 Like

Of course the panel clock FT records the entire time from when you hit FLY to arrival time. It includes time spent before the airplane leaves the ground, like tuning radios and such, plus braking & any taxi times from touchdown to when the FT is recorded. The actual clock time between takeoff & landing matched the logbook flight time pretty well. Sorry about the omission.