Logitech/Saitek throttle quadrants maintenance tip

You may not need to know this, as many of you have new logitech products. However, the throttle quadrants are prone to getting gunked up and the output becoming “jumpy” and not smooth. I’ve had mine for 10 years, and I happened to have a second set of primary throttles with the PS2 port (I don’t know why) and plugged that in, confirmed that it was the throttle quadrant and not windows / MSFS.

So searching around leads you to some horrific information concerning disassembly to get to the potentiometers to clean them with swab and alcohol. Luckily I kept digging, and found a suggestion over at AVSIM, I just did this and it works to perfection. My throttles are back to performing like new, no disassembly required.

1. Unplug the USB cable.
  2. Place the unit on its right side on top of a table (so the LED is at the top and T5/T6 are at the bottom).
  3. Use a spray can of electrical contact cleaner with a straw on the nozzle and shoot plenty of cleaner at the base of the throttle arm where the potentiometer is. Your objective is to get the contact cleaner into the potentiometer. Move the arm back and forth its full length for at least 15 seconds.
  4. Wait a few minutes for the spray to evaporate, then test n the slider test windows in the sim and/or windows calibration.
  5. Repeat step 3 until the throttle feels smooth and there is no jumping in the slider test windows.

What you’re doinng is breaking down the “gunk” built up in the pot.

What you want is electrical contact cleaner with straw found in the electrical aisle at HD and Lowes. The straw is long enough that you can shoot right at the base of the lever at the pot.

Recommended to do this about once a year, at the very least check your “smoothness” calibration every now and again. Post might not be helpful now, but people may need this in a year or two.

4 Likes

My throttle quadrant came with the throttle pot already jumpy. I’ve been using the prop lever as a substitute. I’ll get some contact cleaner to see if can help.

Thanks for the tip.

You may have to do it a few times, I was flying and throttle got a tad jumpy again in one spot, but that’s the one I’ve used to most over the years, so still spraying a bit and working it, more gunked than others. Doesn’t hurt to do it will it’s hooked up and running.

I certainly hope it’s not a loose wire, then you’ll have to take it apart. Not all that difficult, and there are videos on it.

Do the levers have to be at the top or bottom before spraying? Like at 100% throttle or 0.

I just bought this throttle and the levers fluctuate by 1% up and down, so that the in game throttle in the plane looks like it’s vibrating. I’m not sure if this affects the aircraft’s flying? would it cause oscillations on auto pilot since the mixture and throttle are going up and down even if only by 1%?

Some time since original post, but it is still as worth reading today as back then. Worked a treat and my flaps selection is now spot on.

Very many thanks for this most useful tip!

My button #7 at the base of the throttle lever is jumpy and doesn’t always register, will this address that, too?

It can’t hurt to try. I clean my throttle control with electrical contact cleaner regularly. It’s rare;u a perfect fix, but it does help.

Not sure. mainly this is intended for “ungunking” the potentiometers, totally different type of operation as opposed to buttons or switches. As the other person stated, couldn’t hurt to try.