Longitude Autopilot Issues

I just tried out the Default Longitude since the major update to the aircraft. Now It almost seems to me the autopilot has gone crazy. I have everything set up correctly, NAV set to FMS, FD button pushed, altitude put in and now I can’t get this thing to hold a course to save my soul. Right when I take off, I engage the autopilot, and it does nothing, I will say I never use the VNAV on the longitude. Am I overlooking something or is this a real known issue. I’ve been flying sims for over 30 years now but I’m not saying old dogs can’t be advised of new things and things I’m doing wrong.

NAV button is on?

LNAV (Lateral Navigation or GPS) now arms instead of automatically taking you to the first active leg. You must handfly or use heading mode to intercept the first leg. When within two dots of the Offset Track, GPS will flash on the Scoreboard Annunciator and take over.

1 Like

Yes sure is.

Oh! so it’s one of these type of autopilots. Seems kinda of basic considering how packed this Jet really is in real life. I thought that was the thing for small crafts and cheaper nav systems. Thank you for the info. I was kind of thinking about this being the issue.

That’s actually how the jet really works. It would be very deadly to immediately jump onto the active leg considering most times when departing an airfield, you are under tower control and cannot invoke autopilot under 400’, many times you must be clear of immediate control tower space and are still under tower and approach control for manual changes to your flight plan until you can join the first leg.

The reality is how the Autopilot and GPS integration worked prior to AAU1 taught so many sim pilots bad habits because NAV immediately took over.

3 Likes

ohh… well… i didn‘t recognize that you WASN‘T on the leg… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I have same problem with autopilot. Has a mind of its own, cannot hold altitude, climbs up and descends at random. VNAV on or off doesn’t change anything. Took everything out of community folder but FSUIPC and Simbridge (which would not allow me to take it out of folder). Steam version of sim installation. Aircraft uncontrollable in AP.

What altitude? Are you going at full cruise speed at lower altitude?

There is an issue where, if you are below, say 20,000 feet, going full speed, the elevator trim runs out of room and can no longer trim. If this is the case, change the Auto Throttle mode to Manual and reduce speed. Keep an eye on the “Stab Trim” in the lower left of the MFD. If it’s right at the top, it can’t go further.

The particular issue I describe has been fixed in an update - but I’m in the SU12 beta testing (the fix might only be in the beta version, I’m not sure).

Same problem here. I’ll be perfectly on track using NAV, and the plane just starts banking out of nowhere. It’s doing it in HDG mode as well… There’s no way to control it other than hand flying it.