Longterm for XBox

Good to hear you dug your PC out. Yes, 1080 if that is your native FS res too is better res than I’m getting. Make sure your native desktop res=native FS res to gain a few fps. I have both at 1080 but render scale at 75% (so res of 1400x810) which isn’t great, but it all runs at 30fps or thereabouts. Most of my settings are set to Medium. FS still looks great on a 15" screen at this res.
Things to do: locate your commmunity folder and download a few bits of freeware from flightsim.to, and you may not look back. My favourite free airport is Gatwick Ultra edition. Favourite free planes ‘vertigo’ or the ‘H135’ heli. Favourite jet: FBW A320NX (they have their own installer). Liveries abound too even for native base FS aircraft.
I can also recommend buying ‘simple traffic’ from aerosoft if you like seeing liveried AI traffic (airliners) around airports, and there is a new payware small ‘ipad’ like app that is great called ‘sky4sim’ which shows aircraft track/location, maps, metar, runway info, airport frequencies, pdf display etc all on a virtual tablet in the sim or externally on your phone via a browser, I’m using it all the time.
Warning: The trouble with the dark side is that you may not return from it. Beware all who enter! :dark_sunglasses:

You are missing out on so much though. I’ve not found anything freeware wise that destabilises FS on PC.

I was exactly the same, now on PC. The mouse bug really did it for me though. I see they have only now after 5 months (since launch) reported it as a bug. Another 5 months for a fix?
Things about it is, PC version has a mouse bug too. I have lost control of the mouse a few times in the cockpit on PC. It is easy to get back as you have windows to switch to or even just hitting ‘ESC’ in the sim to go back to the menu helps recover mouse. Both causing a mouse UI ‘refresh’ perhaps?
So I think that the mouse issue is part of a wider mouse issue inside of FS that is just manifesting tiself worse on the XBox. Now, do they know this? I doubt it. Can they track it down & fix it just on XBox? I don’t know, intermittent issues are notoriously hard to fix minus a specific set of circumstances to replicate if it’s part of a wider sim issue then it may take longer too. I just didn’t have the time or patience to wait any longer.

In my opinion, MS missed a lot. I’m playing the new farming simulator on the X-Box. There Giants managed to bring user add-ons into your game as freeware and that has been going well for years. Spoiled by it, I have now bought the new X-Box and currently prefer to drive a tractor. Det falls from the sky and certainly not back on the dashboard when driving with him from my yard.

So far, MS has missed the chance to welcome its flight simulator fan base to the X Box. Now some are already switching back to the PC and selling their X-Box. If I should do that, I also think about it, MS will sell me a Windows license and then won’t earn a cent from me.

I have already written my opinion and huge disappointment in several posts here. I’m sorry and wait for the things to come. the next update on the X-Box appears System or MSFS I watch with the hope that something has improved, which I hardly believe. I give myself a 50% chance that something has improved with the Update Kulture from MS.

Greetings

Interesting to hear about the freeware side of farming sim, I didn’t know that. They have stated that the goal is for a ‘freeware’ section on XBox, but I think that perhaps it won’t necessarily be the freeware that everyone is hoping for. Maybe just some more free scenery. Freeware gets updated so much in real life that I generally check every other day for updates. I don’t see the marketplace keeping up to that extent with anything changing at real world speed.

The whole XBox/PC FS debate can be boiled down to - Will things be fixed? AND When will things be fixed? If you can convince yourself that the (now many) issues will be fixed then it just boils down to how long are you prepared to wait, and whether you can live with all those problems in the interim. If you can’t then PC is the best option.

Base/out of the box vanilla FS is fine on XBox, but it’s seems like it’s not ready for even many marketplace add ons let alone freeware.

It is not only Farming Sim (btw : they did it also on Farm Sim 19 with the Xbox Free Modhub) it is also Snowrunner - they have every week an update with new vehicles and the funnyfact… they are using an external moding plattform, not a own one (mod.io).

1 Like

It’s funny you mention Farming Simulator and preferring that, I have seen maybe a couple of others share the same opinion. Flight Simulator should be leading the way especially by now considering it’s been out on PC for over a year. It’s very sad indeed, my fingers are crossed though, my hopes aren’t killed yet but patience will eventually run out if things don’t improve soon after the new year. I’m Australian and will be heartbroken if things go horrible for the next World Update.

If you build a platform which monetizes mods then allowing full and free access to “free” community developed content is not a priority.

1 Like

Exactly this.

Yes, I feel pretty thankful I have it — really.

I’m getting great performance on it, too: 1920x1080, 100% render, locked 30 FPS, Ultra settings with LOD at 100.

I’m stunned at how well it works. The CPU, GPU and memory loads are nominal.

The only FPS issue is the usual dreaded “been flying for long hours and the sim starts choking, so it’s time to restart it” issue, which I even get on the Xbox.

Other than that, it’s was completely solid flying all day.

The reality is, this thread is horrible marketing for the Xbox. The PMDG DC-6 Xbox thread is active right now, too, with a lot of despondent folks.

3 Likes

Prior to SU5 / Xbox release, performance was pretty bad for many folks unless they had expensive, bleeding edge hardware that was near impossible to get anyway. That pushed a lot of people towards the Xbox because they could get a console for $500 vs having to buy a new PC for $2000+.

As botched as many parts of SU5 were, they did a ■■■■■■■■ of optimization that made the sim run well on even modest hardware. So really, it shouldn’t be very surprising that it runs well for you.

That’s most definitely a core sim issue and not platform-specific.

1 Like

This thread’s turned into a “Reasons To Abandon Xbox” thread. I’m pretty sure a few seeds of doubt will certainly encourage a jumping of ship. I’m kinda seeing situations evolve like that in this thread.

1 Like

I’d been watching MSFS 2020 from afar and only jumped in this September shortly after the Xbox release. I missed that entire first year on PC and everything along with it,

I’d purposely been avoiding a PC experience for all the tropes.

However, I find it massively ironic that the Xbox experience (with its own rapidly developing tropes) has driven me to the PC!

I have an i7 laptop with a non gaming CAD graphics card in it, but was pleasantly surprised at how it runs. It says a lot that I don’t miss 4K at all. My TV’s feeling a bit neglected though. I have passed HDMI from laptop into it but at 1400x810 on a 4K screen is not brilliant. I’d encourage anyone with a laptop from the last 5-6 years (with a SSD & 16GB RAM) to give it a try even on mediuim settings. I mean it looks great. Ultra is just a bonus tbh. Screen grab from two days ago -

The main issue is, it seems most of these issues require a patch to the XBox OS, and later Asobo is going to have to make fixes, then the developers. OS fixes can effect many many game titles, so they are slower, they take time, they are previewed, then scheduled. So we have to wait months for the OS fix, then a MSFS fix that corresponds to a sim update time, then time for developers.

Seafront simulations has been out of service for almost 3 months now. The Dc-6 one month. My payware bush planes a month. We are looking at February or later for payware that has been purchased to actually work. That is a hard pill to swallow. I understand the issues. I’ve presented suggested solutions. But still, it’s hard to be upbeat and positive when so much of the stuff you have bought is defunct due to an OS bug, and it’s months on the horizon before you will see a fix

3 Likes

I think that impatience is not the best attribute a pilot could have.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure impatience isn’t the issue here.

2 Likes

and this actually describes the XBox mouse bug too, an O/S issue which is a complete gamebreaker and they took 5 months to acknowledge it even exists then how many months of investigation lie ahead? and at what priority etc. I could see the weeks and months turning into years.

1 Like

So herein lies the issue…stock, bare bones MSFS runs perfectly fine but start adding add ons and you can quickly find yourself with issues with different severity from annoying bugs all the way to CTD.

Now the question becomes whom is at fault? Yes MS has broken many planes, etc after updates but many of the developers have quickly adapted and offered updates. While at the same time others have done absolutely zero to support their products. To me, some of the blame needs to be pointed at the 3rd party developers of extra content. It’s a two way street, not all one sided.

Hopefully as the 3rd party developers start to learn to program for Xbox and MS has a more stable base to work from, these things can be worked out and offer a smoother experience for all involved. These issues I am sure are not fun for MS/Asobo to deal with either and I know we have heard some 3rd party grievances as well.

1 Like

Agree, there’s blame to be shared, but my point re add ons is that in the freeware world they have flags saying ‘compatibility not yet confirmed’ then once it has been it toggles to 'Compatibility with Sim Update 7 has been confirmed."
If anyone has an issue with a newly released SU then the first thing M/S suggests (in their FAQ) is ‘clear out your community folder’.
Now let’s move over to payware land. MS offers products on the marketplace and then updates the sim and people can then from what I’ve read here encounter CTD’s with some incompatible add ons potentially the culprit.
Yet there is no equivalent suggestion to ‘clear out your payware add on folder’. Why not? It would likely be embarrassing for them to have to suggest this.
To me there is a missing mechanism, there should be automatic scripts that run checks on payware add ons and flag or automatically disable them until they are checked for compatibility by M/S or original devs.
Why does freeware land currently have better compatibility control than payware land? That is the question.

3 Likes