Looking for a solid budget setup

Hi everyone!
I will be a new simmer on November 19 (Yay!), and am planning ahead for MSFS24. I need a flight stick/yoke and throttle. For a stick, I had in mind the Winwing Airline Joystick, or a used Thrustmaster Airbus. I am open to suggestions for more sticks or yokes, however would like to keep it budget-friendly (I think under 150 would be great). I think a stick would be best, because the 2024 sim will include Helis and I don’t want to be flying them with a yoke. Throttle-wise, I don’t have anything specific in mind, yet I want it probably the same price as the stick/yoke. For either of them, I would be willing to stretch the budget if it’s a great product, as long as the total doesn’t come to more than 350-400. I will be flying some GA and Helis, but probably mostly Airliners.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Hi soccermania3, and welcome to the forum.

From experience, the Thrustmaster is cheap, but that’s about it. It doesn’t have a precise gimbal, decent bearings or adjustable (by much) springs. Quite often the quality of the sensors, wiring and general build around these budget products leave a lot to be desired, and frankly I would avoid a used one.

The WinWing Ursa Minor Airline looks a bit like the Thrustmaster Airbus externally, but on the inside it has a gimbal that looks uncannily similar to the one used in the VKB Gladiator. Having used one for over 1,000 faultless flying hours, I would strongly recommend the VKB joystick.

I would also encourage you to search for yourself the many videos on YT featuring “VKB Gladiator vs X56” (or T16000, or Warthog, or Ursa Minor, or Turtle Beach etc.), read the comments and the published reviews and draw your own conclusions.

You can choose left or right handed versions of the Gladiator, and the software and company support are all superb. If you’re in the U.K, the standard version is around GBP 135 delivered. You may or may not get lucky on whether or not you get some import charges and VAT applied by the courier.

In standard form, the Gladiator has a slider control in the base and it twists to control the rudder, so you can fly pretty much anything in MSFS with the basic standard version.

If you did want to add a throttle from the same maker, VKB’s THQ module is about £70, and can be mounted separately or directly on the side of the Gladiator. For more complex situations and additional controls, they offer the STECS throttle range, which starts at about £250 delivered. Due to the value, this will attract import charges and UK VAT on top unfortunately, but the quality is worth it.

Since you are going to be a new simmer, it is important to understand that flight sim can get quite expensive on the long run. You may wonder after you bought your budget setup if grass is greener on the other side, like more expensive yoke/controls.
Flying airliners you most definitely need a yoke and for Helicopters a stick, so you may possibly need both.
My own budget Saitek pro flight system and rudder has been going strong for well over five years and still working well. It came with throttle and yoke.
I have a stick as well, but do not use it as it makes things complicated with my control settings. FS2020 can act weird sometimes with the control mapping.
My suggestion is to get something that is reliable and affordable without breaking the bank and go from there, lets not have buyers remorse! :grinning:

Ok, thanks so much! I will keep the gladiator in mind :brain:

Thanks as well! I have seen the Saitek yoke, and it looks great for a starter setup. I will keep looking…