Looking for peripherals

Thanks. This one is looking promising. How do you program the NXT? What all are you able to control with it?

Also, never used a stick before, so what happens in the game if your hand gets tired and you temporarily go “hands off”, assuming the plane is leveled before doing so.

You can, but you don’t need to program the NXT. Simply assign functions to the buttons etc.

I’m using the stick buttons as realistic as possible. E.g. no aircraft IRL has the landing gear handle on the stick or throttle.
You have to remove your hand from e.g. the throttle to be able to operate the gear lever.
Hence the gear up/down commands are on the keyboard.

Brakes, AP and AT disengage, speedbrake, view control and most important trim are on the stick.

With a stick or yoke you always always always trim so that you aircraft can be flown hands off, regardless if it’s during climb, level flight or descent. IRL and in the sim.

E.g. if you are flying level at 180kts perfectly trimmed and you reduce the speed to 150kts, you need to apply back pressure on the stick to keep the nose from dropping.
Once you are at 150 kts you start to trim nose up to reduce the force required to hold the stick in its off-center position. You are usually doing this in small steps until the stick is back in the center position and you can let go of the stick.

One thing worth considering is reliability.

The VKB Gkadiator NXT is the cheapest product on the market to feature good design and contactless sensors throughout and should be considered as the “go to” entry level joystick.

Everything else has some flaw or design issue but the T16000 is reasonably OK at a squeeze. It does fail (I’ve been through a few) but you can keep alive longer with regular service.

Ignore anything cheaper than the T16000, it’s simply not worth the money because the quality is so bad.

2 Likes

You’ll not find a better quality/price ratio actually than the VKB Gladiator.
Quality, precision, sensations and feeling when moving, all is good.

In addition:

• No classics potentiometers wich are getting jittering and unprecised when getting old, but Hall effect sensors (contactless magnetic field devices).
  • the two additional wheels are encoders, this is often very useful.
    Regarding the price:
  • there is a twist axis you can use for rudders.
  • there is a throttle wheel.
    You don’t have to buy separates throttle and rudders, take this in account for price comparison.

And at least, a very important thing for some people, you have the choice between right-hand or left-hand grip for the same price !

1 Like

I have this setup and I love it. I also have the Spoilers and Flaps attachments as well that goes with it. Since I only fly the Airbus exclusively in MSFS, that hardware is perfect for me.

In addition to all the answers here, you should also read this topic:

Thanks. Was all set to buy the VKB Gladiator NXT premium for $150, but when I go to check out they want a freaking $45 for shipping?? What the heck? No way!!! That’s a 30% markup. Where is this coming from??

If you’re located in US, where do you buy it from that doesn’t have extortionary shipping fees. If I have to pay 30% markup for shipping, will look at Thrustmaster that has FREE shipping.

Haven’t checked lately, but AFAIR there’s a US VKB website.

edit: vkbcontrollers.com

Yes that is the site I was using. Shipping is expensive. It looks like this is “drop shipped” directly from China. Is everyone else paying 30% for shipping?

Wow, that’s pretty expensive.
It was about 50% less in Europe.

Darned tariffs… This is now a $200 piece of equipment. Is that really worth it over a $75 T16000M or a $75 HOTAS X combo, both with FREE shipping.

It definitely is.
Material, haptic, button quality etc… everything is much more professionell.
You will not regret it.
Especially if you are planning to use it for a few years.

What is the difference between Gladiator NXT Standard and Premium? Do you have to assemble both, or do they come assembled, or is the Standard fully assembled, but Premium you have to “upgrade” yourself? That is not clear. Thanks.

Standard is good enough. The premium version has a few different buttons which are mainly useable for military aircraft.
Both, standard and premium are being delivered in two separate boxes.
1 base and 1 stick.

Thanks. Which version do you have? I’m comfortable with the simple hookup of the base to the stick, but I would not be comfortable switching out the push buttons on the premium. It is not clear if the buttons on the premium come pre assembled. Also, not sure if the premium is more comfortable than the standard, or if both are fine for civilian flight sim.

This makes me wonder if the premium requires additional assembly beyond attaching the stick and the base. It is not clear:

No need to assemble anything except for putting the stick and base together.
The packaged items are only if you want to exchange springs or buttons.

Apart from the buttons both are identical. No difference concerning comfort.

I do have the standard edition.

Thanks. Does anyone have any VKB promo codes they can share? Feel free to PM. Thanks.

Consider a basic setup with a Logitech Extreme Pro 3D. It will give you everything you need at a more than reasonable price. It works well. I have many other yokes, pedals and sticks with this one working for me most of the time. It can be used on all aircraft.

Thanks. Is this the same?

How does it compare to the Thrustmasters? Seems to last longer. May try this first, and move up to something better, since this is cheaper than shipping for the Viking. Does it have throttle control?