Looking to buy a joystick, was a 3D pro user. Stick with it or something new I should try

I’ve moved to Scotland :scotland: from NZ :new_zealand: and I had to leave behind my 15 year old tried and trusty Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick…

I’ve been googling for the same joystick and this came up…
THRUSTMASTER TCA Airbus Edition Throttle…

Is it worth it? I’m not sure if I can quite justify the seperate throttle… (I mean, I can… not sure if my other half can…:thinking:)
But would it be a worth while purshase or should I stay with the tried and true Logitech or are there some other options available?

Does the default throttle that is on the Airbus joystick work alright

1 Like

My original Saitek X52 is still going strong. I love it because it has so many axes that can be used for analog functions like mixture and prop pitch so I don’t have to use the keyboard or buy a throttle quadrant. But as I understand it, the current offering from Logitech doesn’t have the same build quality.

I’ve had the airbus stick for about 18 months and am quite pleased with it so far. I would like to get the throttle quadrant that goes with it, but that is quite expensive.

The throttle is ok on the stick, but feels a bit insensitive to me. It also has a detant if you set the stick up to use it (though I don’t as I mainly fly GA and am fine with using F2 on the keyboard on the odd occasions that I fly jets).

1 Like

I have the T16000m which is basically the same mount and compared to the TM Warthog it‘s terrible. But there is a price difference for a reason. Virpil for example have great sticks too.

Hi I have the Thrustmaster co pilot joystick and throttle quadrant. I bought mine separately But I would by the set if it was available when II bought mine a year ago. Set up works well with the sim,once you sort the setting to your liking. Good joystick very smooth. cheers and welcome to the lands down under.

I have all the Airbus Captains Pack and I don’t use it. I wasted $$ buying it. I don’t like them. I’ll have to sell it all now, as I’m a GA flyer and only use the 20th Anniversary Xbox controller, keyboard and mouse for MSFS. I have only the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (have a spare one for parts too) for AeroFly FS2 with keyboard and mouse. I fell prey to the thrusmaster marketing hype. Not happy wasting $$ on that. :rage:

but my x65f better lol

What’s your budget?

There is a deal for the airbus including the throttle for 140 pounds…
Possibly my limit…
I was online and was going to buy the tried and tested 3d pro for £35 but I thought…
Should I try treat myself and spend £69 then I kinda got lost with what does what, I may look to some fighter plane games in the future so was wondering how adaptable the airbus was with other games…

Hint Hint nudge nudge. Ya I bought the thrusmaster Captains pack and didn’t like them and I’ll have to “sell” them all now. ahem

Haha I was just readinf your reply and was just going to reply to you mate :rofl:

So you reckon I should just get 3d pro or should I buy the airbus stick off someone thats giving me a hint hint nudge nudge

That deal for the Airbus stick and throttle’s really good. The T.1600m stick/throttle combo can be found at that price or a little lower, and it’s very similar, but the Airbus throttle has two thrust axes (and can be expanded to 4).

Airbus works fine with other flight games. I’ve used it with DCS and IL-2.

I would not suggest the Thrustmaster Warthog to folks looking for high-end. It’s an ancient design (I reviewed it when I was a flight sim writer for paper magazines!) and while it’s cool, it doesn’t hold up well.

Check out the WinWing Orion 2 if you’re gonna drop $500 on a stick/throttle combo. Better built than Thrustmaster, and they’re doing some innovative add-ons like a helicopter collective, authentic F-16 throttle, force-sensitive add-on for the F-16 stick,etc. The Orion 2 HOTAS Max is what I ordered – F/A-18 throttle with an F-16 enhanced stick, which offers just an insane number of buttons and axes.

https://wwsimstore.com/view/

The title of this thread says Best Joystick so if that’s what you really mean then forget about Saitek and TM and take a look at some of the boutique brands such as Virpil, VKB or WinWing. If not then might want to put a price cap on that.

I’ve just changed the wording now mate, I was looking at buying something and I rushed that message just to see what people woukd suggest so I wouldn’t regret a purchase.

The replys have been fantastic, something to not rush but ponder but gosh a month since I’ve played is getting to me…

So
The joystick I did have…
The 3D pro severed me well but, do many people here use them? Are they regarded much ?
I was wondering with the TM airbus, two different opinions… would it be an upgrade over the 3d pro?
Wow those f16/F18 ones, gosh with all of those buttons look amazing but I think it may be just a little out of my price range.

Moved to #self-service:pc-hardware

Personal Comments

I moved to VKB from decades of being a Thrustmaster and MS Hardware (Sidewinder) user.

VKB Gladiator + GSM + General Aviation Module is wonderful. Very few reasons to touch the keyboard or mouse.

The TM Capt. Pack I never used it once. I only used the TM Airbus joystick for Aero fly FS2 not Xbox as its not compatible. I’m using the Logitech Ext. 3D Pro joystick for Aero Fly and the Xbox controller for MSFS. Ya I question the quality of the TM Capt. Pack but the Airbus joystick seems to be of good quality IMO. I have the rudder pedals too but could never get a fondness for them. Less is more for me, Joystick and game controller works just fine.

Since you asked, i still use a 3D Pro. It’s lasted a long time and still works fine, so never saw reason to upgrade, lol.
Have no opinion on others.
Cheers.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with them per se but the original title of this thread said best and they are not in that arena. Best for a given price is a different question.

It was a rushed post as I was moments away from an impulse purchase and I needed to take a breather and just get it right :laughing:
But I’ve adjused the title but thanks your your input and all of your guys input and sharing some ideas and suggestions!!!

It is much appreciated

What was, I thought… a very straightforward purchase… It has given me lots of food for thought.

1 Like