Looks like I won't be getting Windows 11

It’s a solvable problem. It took me hours, but I got it working finally and have had no problem since. With some research about your specific BIOS/mobo you can figure out how to disable some setting, something to do with CSM or UEFI. On mobile so I can’t get more detail but, yeah. It’s an annoying issue that really needs a big disclaimer from Microsoft.

When you get the Secure Boot/TPM notifications do you have to do both or can you just do TPM and leave the Secure Boot off? If so this certainly seems like the easiest way to Windows 11.

Secure Boot is not needed.

One problem I came across although not limited to W11, when I upgraded my whole PC the boot manager installed not on C: but stayed on my old SSD which I hadn’t cleaned and reformatted as it also contained a lot of data although I did delete the old OS. Let’s just say I had an interesting time when I did eventually wipe it completely.

I was about to install Windows 11 on my 9-year old PC with 3rd gen Intel i7. At first I couldn’t install it even after booting from the Windows 11 USB drive, because it tells me that I don’t meet the minimum requirements. Then I saw a YouTube video showcasing how I can bypass this step. I followed it, and I managed to install Windows 11 on an unsupported PC. And it works really well too.

Yes it’s possible however I would imagine every Windows Update thereafter to be a Damocles sword, meaning never knowing if my PC will boot the next time.

However if it’s just to use a spare drive to have a look then why not.

Well, the small regular updates can be installed just fine. It’s probably the major windows version upgrade that needs to be considered.

Technology evolves over time, there’s also a reason why my Windows 11 can’t boot on my Pentium 2 PC. If another windows version requires us to upgrade our current hardware, then it’s a good chance that it’s actually time for an upgrade.

1 Like

I think for the time being I am just going to stick with Windows 10. I like to keep up with the Microsoft Windows technology especially if they are giving it to me free of charge, but I certainly don’t need any unforeseen problems in the future.

Well if there’s an unforseen problems in the future, wouldn’t it be better to face it head on now and resolve it or adapt to it, or work around it earlier than having to find out too late? I’m just saying from a philosophical perspective.

1 Like

What about the TPM module? Will getting one of those satisfy Microsoft or do I need to get that and setup the Secure Boot?

What about your mothrboard model?

You can set it up in your Bios as a software TPM performed by your CPU.

Check you motherboard and CPU manuals.

1 Like

There is rarely the need to add a module on post 2016 systems as TPM 2.0 sits on nearly all CPUs since then and 99% of todays motherboards support it. Depending on the maker it may be called something else e.g. ‘Trusted Computing’ so yes you should consult the manual first, and to confuse matters further sometimes you must enable onboard security in bios, save and then reboot just for TPM to be visible … Secureboot only has to be visible in bios, there is no need to set it up.

Don’t forget Windows 11 can only be installed on GPT partitioned drives.

I’m not sure but the other possibility is that TPM might not be available in non UEFI bios so once again if it doesn’t show that doesn’t necessarily mean your PC is not capable.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5. The BIOS indicates that it is/has TPM compatibility. It has a connector for a TPM module. I haven’t pulled the computer out of its hole to see for sure but I don’t believe there is a module in it. When I try to turn on TPM in the BIOS it says it can’t find the device. What I am trying to find out is. If I buy a TPM module, put it in there and then turn TPM on will that satisfy Microsoft or do I also have to get the Secure Boot working to. That is going to require reformatting my C: drive as GPT which would be more of a hassle than I want to get into right now.

Its easy, you probably dont need a module with a current MB/CPU, you judst need to reformst your windows drive. Heres s tutorial, done in a few minutes without data loss:

Thanks for the tip. I will look into this in the next day or two.

I was in the same situation as you, new cou, new mb, all ready for the update, no luck. Always this secure boot thing, but when i enabled it, pc wont boot into windows.

Turns out i was still on MBR, but nobody tells you this… after doing the reformat it was working to update.
Also make sure you download the window11 upgrade tool, the inbuilt update check might still say you are not qualified for w11.

It is really, really stupid how microsoft handles this w11 update path, if you are on MBR you are left alond to find out everything by yourself…. And i guess most peoples would just be stuck and never find out where the problem is…

I thought people already left MBR behind years ago.

I’ve been using GPT on all my PCs for the past 10 years.

Well, when i initially bought this PC Windows was pre-installed (i picked my parts myself, but let it build by the store), that was about 5-6 years or so ago.

I upgraded it since then multiple times of course, but the System SSD was still the same, formatted as MBR. I did have no clue about all this back then…

So i had to take this few mins to reformat it.

I was surprised when I bought my first NVMe M.2 SSD and Z390 MB.
The M.2 SSD would not install Windows 10 and boot correctly.

Can’t remember exactly now, but I finally had to convert it to GPT.

My new MB had UEFI bios.
Windows can only boot from GPT on UEFI-based computers running 64-bit versions of Windows 10

I think by my using Disk Clone software, the original MBR (Partition Table)
had kept the MBR even on newer motherboards through the years.
And, I also tried a Windows 10 install from USB that did not work.

Until this new UEFI M.2 NVMe SSD required the format of the disk to be changed to GPT (Partition Table).

My computer could read the M.2 SSD but it would not recognise it to boot from it.