Looks like I won't be getting Windows 11

I ran the windows 11 system check program and my systems was good to go except it said I needed to enable Secure Boot. I did that and afterwards my computer would not boot up. It took me a while to figure it out but I have my Windows 10 booting up on an SSD. I was able to find out that for Secure Boot to work I would have to have my OS on an internal HHD. I am not about to move my OS, Super Hassle. I hope Microsoft is going to fix this. I believe there are lots of simmers who have their OS on an SSD. Is this an issue for others on this forum?

Strange, Iā€™m running Windows 11 from an internal PCIE4 NVME with Secure Boot enabled, no problem. Iā€™ve never heard of Windows REQUIRING a HDD. I think itā€™s probably something a little deeper than just Secure Boot.

Iā€™m on AMD If you are too then in CPU Config in the UFEI ā€˜BIOSā€™ set the AMD fTPM switch to ā€˜AMD CPU fTPMā€™ then find and set Secure Boot Mode to STD and Secure Boot to Enabled.
It worked for me and Iā€™m sure INTEL boards probably have something similar.
Best of luck.

2 Likes

okay iā€™ve had a few conversations with my coworkers (I work in IT) and having basically bricked my computer trying to fix it, i have a similar issue with being unable to properly install Windows 10 due to secure boot. Iā€™m kind of SOL until i decide to upgrade my CPU and or motherboard

Heres whats up:

• you need to make sure Windows 10 in installed to your Solid State in UEFI mode. consult your motherboard manufacturer for turning this on. Once UEFI and secure boot is enabled in your motherboard BIOS, you must reinstall windows 10 to this solid state before upgrading to windows 11
  • Check the pins on your CPU. You might have just that exact one thats bent which is breaking it.
  • pull and reseat the SSD (or preferably NVMe)
  • Generally speaking, Spinners (traditional hard drives) do not support UEFI mode, but iā€™m sure one exists that does
  • Iā€™m running an MSI B550 board with Ryzen 2700X. Technically, i should be able to run Windows 11

This is just what iā€™ve discovered. You could also pay to win and buy a TPM chip for your motherboard

1 Like

You can bypass the Microsoft 11 System integrity checker and install W11 very easy. I did this already because I didnā€™t want to mess with the BIOS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qswIMbzyLQw&t=73s

I think you can just bypass the checks by simply making a Windows 11 bootable installation USB, and boot straight to the USB when starting up.

You wonā€™t be able to upgrade that way, though. So youā€™ll need to backup all your important files. Then do a clean install.

Windows 10 is supported until 2025, no need to change your OS until then and you propably have a new computer by that time anyhow.

6 Likes

Also: crippled taskbar, VBS and HVCI slowing down CPU and SSD, no new features.

Although there are workarounds officially W11 has to be installed on an internal harddrive, not an external one ā€¦ but that does not mean a slow mechanical spinner, any non usb drive will do.

1 Like

Yes they do , well in ASUS motherboards they do

1 Like

What you could also do is install Linux, use Qemu and create a virtual TPM, then boot WIndows in a Virtual Machine.
GPU passthrough performance is similar to baremetal :wink:

A bit cumbersome for the average computer user, but hey you get to run open source software for everything and fire up WIndows for games only. There are other benefits too, perfomance tweaks, storage options that make it worthwhile.
Not for the faint of heart though :slight_smile:

All modern proprietary cpuā€™s have onboard TPM2.0 and just about all modern proprietary mainboards support it since 2016/17. The main reason for non visibility is non uefi bios or rather TPM is greyed out or not showing when using an mbr boot partition instead of uefi. However e.g. in my MSI B550M pro vdh uefi bios TPM didnā€™t even show without security enabled and when it was showing enabling it didnā€™t mean I could install W11 right away. It took a second visit to bios to select the right version of TPM.

I have discovered that my SSD is set as MBR and apparently it needs to be GPT. The big problem is that I would have to clear the SSD before making the switch. This SSD has Windows 10, all of my FSX program and files and a few other applications. My MSFS and P3D programs and files are on a different SSD which is an M2. Way to much work to fix. What if I bought another SSD M2, set it up as a GPT and transfer all the stuff on the old SSD to the new one. Is that possible?

It should be possible but not as a clone, you would need to transfer everything non Windows manually or as a batch file and some things might not work as intended afterwards. I suggest physically removing the M.2 before converting your bios to uefi (if you need to). Using an external drive to transfer files would be the preferred method as Windows may more easily spot inconsistencies. MSFS will need installing from scratch but the community files should be ok although some may need to be reinstalled properly with the installer they came with or an updated version.

thatā€™s literally cheating more than just buying a 40 dollar 8 or 10 pin chip lol

Not correct.

My NVMe M.2 drive was configured as MBR.

There are many ways you can convert your boot drive to GPT (UEFI) - just do a quick Google search and youā€™ll come up with literally dozens of options.

You need to be comfortable with moving around in the BIOS screen(s) and with using the command line interface if you want to do it yourself.

Hereā€™s the method I usedā€¦ it worked like a charm.

Otherwise, there are a number of pay-to-play utilities that will allegedly convert the drive with a few clicks.

Have fun and good luck!

Niceā€¦ so I guess it was six or seven years ago when I last looked for a solution :grin:

It would be informative to know what Version of Windows Asobo is currently developing for ? W10 or W11 ?

What are the Devs running & what are QC running ?

They both run off the same code and 10 gets Windows support until 2025 although I guess maybe not the next DX version if it arrives before then (unlikely), after that who knows? Being a new feature thereā€™s still a chance 10 will miss out on Direct Storage but that wouldnā€™t actually stop MSFS from working.

Iā€™m pretty certain the devs will still be on 10 until 11 is officially released as a separate entity (last time I looked itā€™s either the preview or it is preinstalled on new PCs).

I subscribe to the old saying, ā€œIf it works, donā€™t fix it.ā€
My Windows 10 is stable, working and meets all my computing needs.
Windows 11, so far, offers me nothing additional that I need.
Iā€™m having enough issues with all the MSFS flaws, fixes and work-arounds to not also be messing with the computerā€™s operating system.

2 Likes

While I subscribe to the saying ā€œchange is only constant thing in lifeā€. If I donā€™t embrace change and adapt to it as early as I can, I would be left behind.

So I keep my OS, software, driver version to the latest version as I can. Even joining insider preview to get the updates earlier than everyone else. If I can get ahead of any new change than other people. Then Iā€™m already adapted to the upcoming environment.