Loss of keyboard when changing Autopilot Heading settings - Heading bug stuck spinning

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

When I hold down Ctrl+Ins or Ctrl+Del to change the heading in autopilot mode, it causes the heading bug to spin rapidly. Then all input is ignored. Mouse and keyboard cannot be used. Only way out = Alt+F4
or cancel with TaskManager.
Note: holding down Ctrl+PageUp of Ctrl+PageDown works fine to change Altitude setting, and holding down Ctrl+Home or Ctrl+End works fine to change Vertical Speed.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

See above. It happens for all of the planes with autopilot.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.30GHz, 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti. Microsoft Store version of MSFS.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

The problem exists since August 2020. It has been reported twice in Zendesk, but still is not fixed.
Why are the Zendesk reports closed (see req #59452) without solving the problem?

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Work arounds: Hovering over the left-half or right-half of the knob with the mouse pointer and then use either the left button or the mouse wheel to turn the knob.

Rather than abort the flight, I seem to recall that waiting (yes, far longer than would seem necessary) allows the sim to catch up to continue the flight. Presumably the sim prioritizes the processing of the key-driven flood of inputs over other more important activities.

1 Like

Same exact problem right now. Stupidly used the keyboard to change heading bug and keyboard became unresponsive, though sim is still operating. Never ever use the keyboard to change the heading bug. How long am I supposed to wait to see if it comes back???

Yes

Ctrl Insert or Ctrl Delete if held down causes heading bug to spin. Cannot be stopped without Ctrl Alt Delete

I have this problem whenever I allow the autorepeat functions of the keys to be depressed while trying to make a 90 degree heading change. If I operate the heading change keys slowly, no problem. Make agressive changes to the heading bug, and youwill se the problem. This happens in ALL aircraft. I had seen this problem since 2020, I simply had not reported it beforehand. Glad to see somelse also caught the problem.

1 Like

It does not happen with the WT CJ4.
Ctrl Ins - Heading bug moves to the right , increase.
Ctrl Del - Heading bug moves to the left , decrease.

Release keys and AP continues in normal mode at new heading.

Maybe you mean all default planes with AP.

Yes, I have encountered this same problem when using the keyboard to move the heading bug. This has happened in all aircraft that I fly. C-152, C-172, TBM 930.

I have the full deluxe 2020 MSFS. This won’t happen if you use the heading knob.

I have exact same problem. CTRL + DEL and CTRL + INSERT stop working a few minutes after Autopilot is enabled on the Cessna 172S. Then I have to restart game. I will try using the mouse, which I have generally found unintuitive for “knob work” in MSFS.

Yes

Same as OP

This also happens when using an external knob device that is mapped to the keyboard commands.

Since monthes i have the same issue :frowning:
My comment only as little reminder. Perhaps this issue will be fiex soon

Thanks and kind regards,
Frank

Yes

March 2023 and still hasn’t been fixed. Having to crash the sim and reboot is really annoying. Especially when you think it’s a one-off and it happens again the very next flight.

This bug is still present in beta 1.33.5.0. When adjusting heading with keyboard shortcut, if held longer than 250 degrees or more at one time will result in loss of keyboard and mouse. Peripherals still function as expected ie joystick and headtracking. Heading bug indicator will also spin visually on the hsi.

This happens in multiple planes.
This also happens when using a peripheral knob and spin the HDG knob continually.

This is basically an altf4 situation.

I am having this exact same issue. Version 1.32.7.0. I am using a peripheral knob. Joystick becomes responsive but not keyboard or mouse. Solution is to terminate app.

Hi, I have had this bug since game launch, adapted and used mouse instead of ctrl insert/del. But now I have finally started seriously flying the 747-8, but the heading selector is a 3 way knob and it;s fiddly to adjust with the mouse. Resorted back to using the key combos and it’s so easy to trigger the bug, especially if you need to adjust heading over 100 degrees.

The heading just spins round, unable to click anything or use keyboard.

Does this happen to everyone?

I have the exact same issue as the OP

I run on Windows 11 with latest MSFS from Store. Machine is very hot Falcon NW
 don’t have model but MSFS wanted to run with all settings at max performance.

This is a bug with Insert Delete keyboard keys. I am using Right Shift + Insert (or Delete) to set Altitude. If the key combinations are kept pressed for longer then the Altitude starts to grow until 50000 f or 99000f or starts go down until negative. Keyboard response stops, sometimes plane system crashes and simulator needs to be rebooted. It is not fixed since 2021. Affects many planes. Short pressing of the combinations works fine, but at some point it triggers the whole sim to be not responsible to keyboard.
I have noticed it with some demo version 2 years ago . This bug was present. Then I have changed PC and purchased a normal copy of MSFS2020. The same bug not fixed.

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox. > PC

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version? > Microsoft Store

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?> No

Brief description of the issue: > “HDG Bug” keeps spinning and doesn’t stop.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: > Occurs when you hold down the key (ctrl + Insert / Delete) to change the heading.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: > Maybe from August of last year (at the time of product release)

I found this aged thread because I’m experiencing same bug exactly. Also, does not require hold of keys, can be triggered by repeating keypress ‘too often’ successively. Since it requires a restart to fix, time is limited for me to experiment, but OP’s steps to reproduce are accurate.

Fly A320 for an hour, go to aim for pattern entry, and
WHEEEEEE!!! :slight_smile:

same on 1.36.20.
it’s impossible that the bug exists for years.
And from MicroSoft, nothing is impossible.

Any work around ? (on keyboard)