Lost Freeware Sceneries, and why they went missing

I encountered this topic when I searched for a particular airport/scenery, coming to discover that the original author (?) took it down from flightsim.to, leaving no trace of the production itself or the author. Looking into this further, using just Google, I noticed this is kind of a trend.

Examples:
JensPeter (JP) - https://staging.flightsim.to/profile/JensPeter/uploads
I remember downloading lots of JP’s great sceneries when they released, only to come back and check for updates months (years) later and find they are non-existent. I found no links or profiles indicating that JP moved elsewhere with his works.

Quelcertoleo - https://staging.flightsim.to/profile/quelcertoleo/uploads
Like JP, quelcertoleo made a swath of fantastic freeware enhancements. Now, nowhere to be found, as well.

Is anybody aware what could be causing these authors to not only abandon their platforms, but delete all of their work and go away? And if you’re one of these authors - I know we don’t necessarily deserve it, but would you please explain the situation? Having been involved in MFS since its release, and having used and enjoyed lots of these great freeware sceneries, I do feel kind of remorseful their hard work is gone from everywhere (understanding that what they want to do with their hard work is their right).

Can anybody else name some “lost” works, too? When I went back to check for updates to some of these addons, and find they’re gone without a trace, it almost feels like the Mandela effect.

Edit: Being aware of the flightsim.to controversy, I was more wondering what happened to works (like some examples given) before the argument of its terms/conditions became popular. I also don’t intend to discuss that controversy since it’s beating a dead horse at this point.

Evidently, you missed the storm in the flightsim.to teacup, that moved certain developers to withdraw their freeware products from that platform.
If you want to know more, a Google search for “flightsim.to TOS” will lead you to several links that explain the situation in minute detail and also inform you of the result.
I have nothing to do with Microsoft or Asobo, but I doubt that a discussion of the rights and wrongs of freeware add-ons in their commercial forum would be welcome.

2 Likes

In JP’s case it was because SU5 terminally broke projects that would’ve taken hundreds of hours to rectify if you had a lot of them.

I guess his enthusiasm dried up. Asobo eventually rolled the change back but that took a while.

2 Likes