Low Frame Rate, Low gpu usage

I have a good setup but am getting frame rates much lower than I see others have.

I read some things about enabling the gpu hardware acceleration in windows and have enabled that which help gpu performance but frame rate still a bit low.

At best I get 20fps but as you can see in screen shots the gpu and cpu are not pushed at all.

I have an i9 9700
Nvidia 2070
65gb ram
Nvme ssd

Setting are generally ‘high’, nothing on ultra

Any ideas? I use Xbox game at fps counter, so assume that is acxurate?

I had been using the Xbox fps counter too and it was reporting 30 - 40 fps, but when I looked at the fps counter on the monitor (LG) it is reporting 80-100!

I’m not sure how accurate the Xbox counter is tbh

1 Like

Hmm. GPU acceleration is something that’s enabled by default in Windows, as soon as the graphics driver is installed.

Try enabling developer mode in the sim and enable Show FPS graph from the options menu.

Make more screenshots if you need help deciphering the graphs.

I have found for MSFS I can run a limited gpu overclock or HAGs but not both. I can’t speak for factory clocked hardware but if you do run into problems remember that the OC is still an overclock.

HAGS on or off only makes like a 1 FPS difference on my system. I’m stable with it on or off, but it’s basically pointless in most games as far as I can tell.

I didn’t use the fs developer mode, but I used nvidia and I turned a couple of settings down and I got 30fps up in the sky and around 20 near the ground.

However; the gpu and cpu were still only ever working at about 50%. It’s like it’s not trying to get the best out of the hardware. Frame rate isn’t locked to 30fps or anything.

Don’t think my gpu is overclocked. So that shouldn’t be an issue.

Word is that MSFS has single thread issues. Your CPU may be only at 50% but that is all on one or two cores ! So once that core is full/100%…bam FPS drop. I know, its stupid.

Yeah I had been reading more about that. I do still see people with similar cards and settings getting much better fps though. It’s very frustrating. I9-9900 3.4ghz and a 2070 gpu should be getting more than 20-30 fps I think on medium/high settings

So this got worse and worse and I eventually realised that my CPU cooler was dead and this was obviously creating huge temperature bottlenecks.

It has been replaced and things are better. However, I am now GPU limited and yet the GPU is only being used about 40-50%. ITs a 2070 card, so quite capable, but its not really being pushed.

I have been reading articles and watching videos of people with the same card and seeing much better performance. Any ideas?

Hopefully I am able to re-ignite some discussion here surrounding the frame rate issue.

I am running the latest gen i7 CPU, RTX 3090 and 32 GB of ram. I am experiencing significant drop in frame rate on take off and short final (down to as low as 25-35) from a starting point of the mid 50’s-60’s.

I have done everything under the sun to rectify, re installed drivers, tweaked settings etc etc. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on? With this hardware I really should not have an issue on ultra.

Sounds like there is maybe too much AI? Are you using AIG, GSX or FSLTL or similar?

This ^^^^^.

Framerate can fluctuate more/less with the sim depending upon your settings. I have a 5900x (OC’d and undervolted) w/32gig memory paired with a RX 7900XTX and have refresh rate set to the full 120Hz of my Qled TV. While I can get 90-120fps at altitude flying over non-complex cities/scenery (@4k + HDR10) the fps will drop to 50fps at complex airports/cities and of course lower with FSLTL and other utilities running. If I were to use the sims vsync parameter to set my fps to 33% of the refresh, it would lock it at 40fps and I would infrequently have drops in fps. Either way the sim runs equally smooth about 98% of the time.

That’s because of Low Framerate Compensation and/or DLSS 3 frame generation.
Low framerate compensation (a Gsync/Freesync feature) function shows every frame twice or three times on your monitor (for more perceived smoothness), below a certain treshold (i think it’s 72 fps on my LG Gsync-compatible monitor when using an Nvidia graphics card).
Your real fps is 30-40.

1 Like

I am not actually, I basically have resorted to AI traffic and reduced it to almost nothing. I am starting to think its an internet connection issue.

Ok good info. I guess I am just struggling to understand how my hardware is not even closed to being pushed to it’s limit but I am seeing degradation in graphical aspects. Screen tearing was an issue but I have reduced it with different monitor settings.

I am thinking it has to be an internet speed problem, it is the only variable I cannot really control with the hardware I have.

HAGS is only relevant to enable frame generation on Nvidia cards supporting it. It will basically make no difference on other cards. With AAU2 we had a severe fps reduction and lots of microfreezes compared to SU12. There´s nothing to do until they patch game to a newer version.

Cheers

Do a Ookla speed test and post a screen shot of your results.

I have an i9-9700, 32G ram, RTX2070 super and after testing with MSI afterburner benchmarks the best stable framerate I can get with everything set to High is 35fps.

I can get faster FPS but it fluctuates all over the place.

I now have it locked at 35fps; it’s not great but it’s pretty smooth.

Sorry for the delay in reply. Internet is fine as you can see. I have got back into MFS the last week or so in a frantic effort to fix this gameplay. Nothing seems to work. I cant land the aircraft without stuttering so bad I invoke a crash.