Make glass cockpit instruments undockable with controls included

I agree that popping out displays is not worth the high FPS hit, also including the controls may not be desirable in some cases such as using a hardware bezel and only needing the display element.

My solution is to use SkyElite and two 10inch displays for PFD and MFD, which can also be used with an Aimos rotary controller, similar to a Knobster setup. This is mostly suitable for Garmin equipped cockpits rather than airliners, but I don’t often fly the big stuff so I am fine with it.

I have those settings, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I had hoped that it might let me not have the dials on the screen or something useful, but no.
Popping out the glass displays costs 20fps or slightly more, so that’s not great either.
Hopefully it will work properly one day, but we’re a year down the line and nothing like there yet .

1 Like

For me the advantage of Home Cockpit Mode it that the cockpit remains level and stationary from the pilot perspective, and when banking etc. it is only the outside perspective that moves, this is how it appears in real life. If your gaze is fixed on the instrument panel manoeuvring the aircraft does not cause that view to alter, unless you are afflicted by uncontrollable head wobbling syndrome. (I speak from real flying experience btw).

Personally I think it should be the default view. If you don’t want the instrument panel in view just move the camera view up a bit.

To set the default cockpit camera height use:
OPTIONS>GENERAL OPTIONS>CAMERA>COCKPIT CAMERA>HEIGHT

It’s kind of like raising the height of your seat :wink:

There are a lot of knobs and switches etc. that cannot currently be mapped to hardware controllers, so it is still necessary to sometimes look inside the cockpit. I think this is why despite the description for Home Cockpit Mode saying that it disables the virtual cockpit from rendering, it actually doesn’t do that, which I can agree is confusing, but best left doing what it does for now.

Ah, foolish me. I assumed that when it said it stopped the instruments from rendering, that’s what it did. I really should learn to ignore these descriptions.

I can’t believe so many here want control for the popouts and no one has mentioned using Air Manager. It can do exactly whats being asked for here. Many of us have been using it with MSFS popouts.

1 Like

Apart from the minor inconvenience that it doesn’t properly support the G100 controls, it is fine. And it’s a paid-for addon (costing a third of what MSFS costs) for functionality that ought to be included in the sim.

Each to their own. Actually G1000 controls are fine for me. Addionally sim controls popped out with the display will not touch Air Manager with a touch screen and knobster. Xplane 11 has what’s being asked for here and I can’t say I’m super impressed with the way they operate. Buttons alone might be ok but as soon as you include rotary controls it sucks. Let’s face it paid add-ons are a fact of life for simmers so one can embrace them or plod along with only freebies and what the sim provides. I guess where we spend money to support our sim experience is a personal choice. Just putting this out there for any that may not know what Air Manager can offer.

1 Like

G1000 controls are fine for me
You mean that they work properly in Air Manager? That’s interesting.

Yes. What specifically do you have niggles with?

Unless I use loads of middleware, the knobs don’t work.

Can you explain.

Can I explain what, exactly?

much later…
I discovered that the problem was fps limits in the nvidia control panel. The 60fps limit was fine with one display, but as soon as a popout was done, that 60 was shared between the main display and the popout. Turn the limit off everywhere, and the fps loss is gone.

Can you explain what loads of middleware you need to use to operate your G1000 controls. I don’t use anything other than AM and a G1000 overlay to be able to fully operate the G1000 bezel controls.

I nvr needed AM till i got this sim. I use it for all my steam gauge dashes. Cant fly with out it now. There are some 3rd party addons like TDSSIM GTN750 that works pretty good on my ipad, but its still in development that needs to be fixed after most sim updates. For me AM seems to be the most reliable so far. I bought the RealSimGear 530 years ago when it first came out. It is flawless. Popout the 530 display, drag it over to my GNS530 mounted in my dash and its perfect. So good Im thinking about getting there G1000 but cant justify having 2 GPS in my dash. So I swap out the G1000 in all the planes for the GNS530… lol

Oh yea… OMG nvidia frame limiter. I set it once to 60 thinking it matches my monitors. I have 4 monitors in my pit. Guess what, 60/4 = 15fps. I never went back to nvidia control panel again… LMAO…

Here’s hoping this issue can get resolved. Works like a dream on that “other sim”. Looking forward to one day using the Working Title G1000nxi in the SR22

Is it possible to create an option to pop-out the Garmins (and other screens that can be popped out and used separately) including the buttons and dialers? At the moment only the screen itself pops out. Nice for cockpitbuilders with hardware around the monitor. But for the more simple working users it would be great already if one could place the Garmin on a second monitor and use the buttons and dialers like when it is in the cockpitview.

Give Air Manager a go. It provides the bezel controls.

What I think but by no means know for a fact is… Asobo gave us the ability to pop out the display without the controls to save the FPS hit. We all know that loading a display on a second monitor hits our frames to a point. But building a 2d panel with all the controls in the old sims hit our FPS much harder.

Using Air manager seems to be a better solution in this sim.

again, just my thoughts…

I don’t recall the 2d panels causing a major hit on FPS in FS2004. I would think the 3D panels are more power hungry. Am I wrong? In any case, looking at development updates I don’t see it even on their radar, same as replacing the old “W” key to get rid of the cockpit and just have an outside view with the same perspective. It’s a shame.