Make it Snow and Not Stop

And now for something completely different…

I figured I’d practice some landings in the snow. I selected the ‘Snow’ option and ran the Precipitation and Snow Depth sliders all the way to the right as shown:

Weather

When the flight starts (I start like five miles out from the airport at 3200 feet) I’m in heavy snow just like I want:

HeavySnow

What I can’t figure out is how to make it keep snowing until I land. Every single time (I’ve tried this at three airports and at different times of day) the snow stops about a quarter mile from the runway and I end up with locally clear skies as shown:

NoSnow

And this is like within five minutes of when the flight starts. I don’t understand how the flight starts in almost a blizzard but the weather clears every time I get close to the airport. If this is MSAsobo’s way of trying to keep me safe I appreciate it, but I’d like to see if I can land this thing IN the snow. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Hi @DestructZero915
You might give this a try:
Select your lowest cloud level and change the “coverage” to 100, density to max, and scatter to 100 and see if that helps.
I just did a quick hop with the settings and had snow all the way to minimums at my arrival airport.
Regards
P.S. You may need to do the same for some higher levels, depending on how low they are and whether they would be snow-producing clouds based on temps, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I think I did this right on both the lowest and second lowest levels, but still no snow at the airport. Please let me know if this is wrong… thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ll take another look at it tomorrow.
Regards

I ran another flight today that started about 10 miles from KSTL with the settings we’re using.
The first screenshot shows heavy precipitation on the radar for quite a ways out.
The second screenshot shows I’m still in heavy snow just before breaking out. However, note that the radar now shows a very distinct lessening of the precipitation just a few miles from where I was going to land. So for some reason it seems to have a limited area around the airport I’m landing at vs the entire area.
The flight yesterday was from KPIT to KCMH and had snow at both ends, but I didn’t really watch the radar. So not sure why it seems to work when flying cross country, but only has a limited snow coverage area when starting in the local area of the destination.
I ran the local flight a couple of times, and although I had snow on landing at both, the radar view showed quite different views of how much further out the weather went before it showed no returns.
So it’s definitely not a giving complete coverage even with the settings we’re using.
Not sure what else to test right now, but I’ll keep looking at it.
Regards

1 Like

Thanks, I certainly didn’t expect you to go to this length to test this. I’ve been trying a few random flights myself, but I’ve been coming up with the same results.

1 Like