Maneuvering a seaplane slowly in water

I’m just now trying to learn to fly seaplanes. Coming along, but I am having a difficult time learning to manage slow speeds, like, coming alongside a pier etc. Are there any tricks to slowing down and maneuvering slowly? Thanks a lot.

Slow down WAY before you get to the dock. Unless you have prop reverse, there’s no way to slow down in water.

3 Likes

Hello, I moved your post into Community Support and edited the title so that people could understand the nature of the topic before clicking into it.

Very little throttle is definitely a must, just having the engine turning at idle will still create enough propulsion to get you moving. Always deploy the water rudder if available, yes this seems obvious but for some, can be easily forgotten. You have to remind yourself there’s no brakes so you can’t simply drop anchor like a boat. Everything needs to be done like 2 steps ahead.

Oh and keep an eye on weather conditions, if the water’s choppy and there’s a decent ground wind, abort landing and try another spot much furthe away. Smooth conditions are a must with light craft. It becomes a sailboat and you get carried away by the winds and currents, making it hard to move anywhere.