Manipulators increase in latency and FPS decrease at High Altitudes

Updated the Fenix A320 and decided to do a longer flight than usual. Going from Munich to Tromsø, taking me round about 3 hours. I’m flying offline no traffic involved and started with round about 55 fps.
I arrived with 42 fps which made me already wonder as Tromsø is stock scenery for me and EDDM should be rather heavier on frames as it is the Aerosoft 3rd party developer variant.
Nevertheless, I turned around and now I’m on my way back and get the worst performance I’ve ever experienced . I’m in CRZ at FL350 and get 25 FPS

I’ve never seen that the Manipulators reaction speed went nuts and got above 10 ms but it is getting worse and worse.

Temps on the CPU are high, as I’m sitting in a room with 30° at the moment, but that shouldn’t cause thermal throttling or anything else.

I’m running on W10 64x
7800x3D
3080RTX
32GB DDR5 @6000 MHz

I’ve got some stuff in the community folder - mostly being 3rd party airplanes and scenery and according liveries.
The only solution present in the moment is get rid of all those and just fly with stock sim & airplane or to reinstall all of the content being inside the folder?
I scan frequently for updates so that there is no out of date crawling around.

Edit:
I’m now above the northern sea between Sweden and Danmark - with only water beneath my aircraft the FPS went back to regular values without me doing anything.
Let’s see if the issue returns when above mainland again…

Edit #2:
yep - as I expected :frowning:

Edit #3:
so - this are my frames back on the ground in EDDM …
Not a single frame lost in comparison to my starting situation.
It really seems, something killed my frames in Norway to be around 40 and then massivly while being on CRZ

Exactly what I witnessed: Extreme CPU usage at cruise altitude

Especially over Germany it is getting worse.

1 Like

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

No

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX12

Are you using DLSS?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Performance in good in altirudes below FL330, and performance is really bad above FL340

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

FPS around 20FPS FL350 (limited by MainThread)

Three minutes after, descending FL330, FPS increase to around 35FPS (limited by MainThread)

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Use PMDG 737 any variation
  2. Climb to FL350 or above
  3. Check performance FPS in DEV MODE, and check changes while climbing; passing FL340 performance drops instantly to around 20FPS

PC specs and peripheral set up:

CPU: AMD 5800X
GPU: AMD 6950XT 16GB
RAM: T-FORCE 16GB 3600MHz CL14
SCREEN: MSI G281UV 4K
FLIGHT SIMULATOR HARDWARE: ALL DISCONNECTED

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I don’t have this issue. What’s your terrain LOD set at?

I do not have this issue either, in PMDG 738…

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

No

i9 13900K, 32GB DDR5 @7200, RTX 4090 2K,render scaling 135, vsync 50%, Ultra, TAA, LOD 265/200

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Hmm I have 100% CTD with PMDG 737 in the beta. Every single flight.

And I have 0% CTD with every other aircraft… But others don’t seem to be having this issue, so no idea what is going on.

Hello @idoleo2001, did you buy the PMDG 737 through the in-sim Marketplace?

PMDG webpage…but now i will try a new clean 737NG installation…maybe that can be fix this issue. I will post results.

1 Like

Settings ULTRA…Terrain LOD 200

I reinstalled PMDG 737…test flight 737-600

FL300 - Around 40 FPS

FL330 - Around 40 FPS (Original post around 35 FPS)

FL350 - Around 25 FPS (Original post around 20 FPS) - Issue still present

I will tried with another airliners, and maybe that can be related with hardware combination AMD CPU & GPU…i don’t know

I was checking GPU load …in FL350 is changing rapidly between 10% to 50% (while FPS was low around 20-25 FPS)

The GPU Load in FL330 is changing fast too, but between 50%-85% load (while FPS was around 35-40 FPS)

I don’t now if there is any huge CPU load in high altitudes (maybe weather or atmospheric calculations), that my AMD 5800X can’t work fine with that.

I have bad news for me!!! I tried with another airliners and with Private Jets…and i have the same issue.

Do you think that this is a CPU bottle neck issue?..maybe MSFS request heavy atmospheric calculations and my CPU can’t handle that?

It’s likely a combination of MSFS hammered your mainthread and hardware limitations. The 5800X is solid, but aged a bit compared to what’s on the market now.

Have you considered a 5800X3D? You can keep your current setup, and would be a simple CPU swap.

The file on Marketplace and PC are 100% the same.

Mathijs Kok
PMDG

1 Like

In our own tests, we have not seen any significant difference in framerate between SU14 and SU15 beta. If anything it was a bit smoother. Are you sure there is not another DLC that is the cause.

Mathijs Kok
PMDG

Thanks Mathijs, I was aware of that however on this forum Bug Reports for the Beta (for third party content) are categorised into Marketplace or External 3rd Party Products, if the original poster had owned a marketplace copy then this Bug Report would have been moved to that respective category instead of this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iam not OP :wink:

MSFS clean installation…and the same issue (no addons)

FL330 - Stock A320 - Around 60 FPS

FL350 - Stock A320 - Around 30 FPS

I think that MSFS has some internal calculations that increase CPU load after FL340…then…idk what to do