Manual cache page bugged?

I managed to successfully create data caches for 4 regions, where the biggest is Las Vegas with over 10GiB. But now the manual cache page got terrible slow. After clicking one button I can wait about 5 minutes until something happens, also scrolling the map is almost impossible, so the only reasonable option is Alt + F4.
I dont know what the problem is, because my cache file is 50 GiB and it is not full. Also my SSD has still 250 GiB free space and otherwise FS2020 runs perfectly on my machine.
So I think the data cache page is still buggy.

Hi @LotusDragon683,

Yes this is a known issue - Many of us have decided not to go near the cache until it’s updated and workable.
Thanks
PaulyFSPauly

Lots of other threads about how bad manual cache and whether it ever really does any good - the only way I can see it helping in its present state is if you have a terribly, terribly slow Internet connection but could otherwise run the sim at HIGH or ULTRA res. The Manual Cache Is TERRIBLE and Should Be Redesigned From the Ground Up

It is my understanding that the manual cache only saves Photogrammetry data for Photogrammetry locations.

eg New York

Caching other areas introduces huge impacts on performance of the cache.

It’s best to delete those areas as they offer no value.

Here is a list of photogrammetry sites …

1 Like

Yes, thanks for the replies.
I noticed if the cache data creation works, than its really an improvement for the cities with photogrammetry data like NYC or Las Vegas. Without precaching on my machine buildings appear crippled looking like ruins at first flyby and it needs a few minutes until they look nice. With cache the cities look immediatly fantastic!

I don’t know about the photogrammetry on some structures. If you fly north up the Hudson from lower Manhattan, the George Washington Bridge looks like it has a solid dark brown wall under its suspension span - and this is with that area supposedly in my manual cache at HIGH level of detail. And I’ve never cleared my rolling cache in the latter part of an experiment so the sim has had an ample opportunity to create an extremely realistic G.W. Bridge (I lived near it for 7 years of my life) and unless the NY/NJ Bridge Authority has really let it go, it doesn’t look as spiffy in the sim as it used to in real life (> 40 years ago). Perhaps photogrammetry has trouble with suspension spans and shadows under bridges, etc.???

Yes, some bridges are strange. Also I noticed I could not fly under a bridge. My plane just collided with an object, but there was more than enough space. That was never a problem before, even like 15 years ago in MSFS.

Same here. Either they’re completely flooded or have that strange curtain underneath