Manually turn on runway lights at night

Is there a way to turn on runway lights manually (e.g. with a button)? It is rather annoying at night when the taxi lights are on but the runway lights are off and I can’t see or find the runway, even when at a large towered airport.

Shouldn’t they be on at night by default?

1 Like

This isn’t in the simulator but there are threads regarding it if you search.

As I often fly when it is dark on the MSFS, nearly all of the airports I fly at do not have runway lights on, especially at non-towered airports.

My local airfield in the real world has no runway lights at all

I remember the ZKPY Pyongyang Airport is like this. It has ILS and taxiway lights, but no runway lights. Had to fully trust the ILS glideslope and approach in blind.

If you’re doing the type of flights to smaller unlit airports, I suggest doing flight planning in Little Navmap. It will tell you if an airfield is lit or not.

1 Like

Are any airports modeled with pilot-controlled lighting (key PTT five or seven times)?

Not yet, but I believe it’s in the wishlist, and @skypilotYTS posted about another thread a few posts ago.

3 Likes

It used to be in FSX… FSX had a push-to-talk button that was usable when using the default communications in multi-player. It also worked for this. I don’t know if that followed through to MSFS.

No lights, but that runway looked closed because there was a large “X” on the threshold.

Yeah, which is ironic because the runway with the X is actually the one in use in real life, including the active ILS as well. While the “other” runway is the one that MSFS set to be active, but in real life that runway is actually permanently closed.

This is because North Korea doesn’t allow satellite imagery, so the developers and blackshark AI can only work with outdated satellite images of the airport when they were still using the old runway while the new runway is not available yet hence with the X on them.

I took that flight during the early days of MSFS, so it’s still using the default generic airport. Using the payware ZKPY and Pyongyang City addon, resolved the problem. Now it has up-to-date scenery, active runway, as well as runway lights.

Well, Blackshark and Asobo have A TON of airports wrong.

For instance, they have 18/36 closed at KLEB, has runway 1/17 (I think it is) as open at KLCI even though it’s closed, and are missing taxiways at KCON. Still lots of work to do to update tons of airports. The new crowdsource scenery editor will be a big help in this regard once it’s finished.

3 Likes

Our local airport runway lighting is pilot controlled by radio in real life.

To be honest though the thing that stops me flying locally at night in game is not runway lighting - it is all the little roads with one house on them lit up like a XMAS tree with street lights.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.