Marketplace purchases are upgrades not base game, doh!

So, stupid me, I was using Game Pass to try out FS2020 and of course I loved it, so I thought I would buy it. Didn’t notice, (or it didn’t say at the time) that it was the upgrade only and didn’t include the base game… For the price $109.00 I assumed it was NOT just the 5 planes and airports for that amount of money! So I was happy to have paid for the full game or so I thought. I later canceled my game pass, because, really, the only thing I would play is FS2020 anyway… BOOM, that’s when I found out about the base game…

Of course now my order is more than 30 days old, and I highly doubt Microsoft will exchange it for me. Either have to buy the base game for another $80 or keep game pass going…

Anyway, just a warning to anyone else that wants to “upgrade” from Game Pass, make sure you read the details!

I would still contact the store and explain you inadvertently bought the wrong product.

I don’t know if the response came from a human or the system, but they are telling me that it’s too late to get a refund. So how would I have found the problem without the game pass timing out after 30 days? I don’t know… So if I want to buy the base game the total I will have spent on this, with extra month of game pass I bought will be close to $200 CND.

I should have known after I “bought” Microsoft Flight a few years ago and they said… “Oh you didn’t buy it, we were just letting you use it for awhile…” Very frustrating indeed.

One thing I’ll say about x-plane, the couple of times I needed to move my license from one machine to another the support guys fixed me up within a few hours.

Tried again and this time, it sure seems like a human answered, but same response. I would suggest not buying anything while using game pass… if something goes wrong with your purchase you won’t know about it until your game pass account times out and by then MS won’t do anything to help you.

Keep trying till you get someone else who will help you with this.Its not about a refund.
Don’t sit there out of pocket.
Persistence is the key with sorting out.
I’m sure you are not the only one who made this mistake.Support doesn’t have access to your account so you must keep trying.
The human response,did it give you opportunity to reply to the email?
Had a marketplace item fail to show as purchased ended up getting card company to recover funds.Im still in communication with support,they blamed me for not having upto date windows, though I had updated to latest revision before installation.
Unfortunately, we don’t have access to Microsoft’s account and billing system to see why the transaction failed.

Some players also confirmed that the issue was solved for them after removing and adding their payment method again on their Microsoft Account.

Remove a payment method online

• Sign in to the Payment options page with your Microsoft account. If you can’t sign in, try troubleshooting issues with your Microsoft account.
  • Find the payment method you want to remove, and then select Remove .
  • Confirm that you want to remove your payment method, and then select Remove .
    Put this here it might help I’ve had six human replies so far.
    The problem is they just follow a set out response pattern when dealing with any issue.Yours I believe is not on list of responses.So don’t give up.
    Worst launch of flight simulator ever.
1 Like

Exactly the same situation here.

Bought the upgrade on Aug 20, before they changed the product description to the current one. Before, it was still copying from the Premium Deluxe product description and said it includes everything from MFS plus additional content. Now it says do not include base game, so obviously Microsoft admitted the previous product description was incorrect and misleading.

Anyway, read on this forum that some users suspect the upgrade did not include base game, so on August 23 I contacted support and the support person said “I just checked on my end and seems like you now own the license of the game, so when you upgrade you’re actually purchasing the full game as well, you can think of it as a discount for being a Game Pass Ultimate member on this case.”
I even asked again to make sure if I could still play after my gamepass expire and he confirmed “Of course, you own the game now”

Then later on in the month I found out about the fact from this forum as more users reported.

Brought the case to Microsoft, chatted with 5 different support persons, who all agreed with my case but said its the refund team who decide and asked me to reply to the refund email.

Got rejected four times with the same reason as yours.

Now the case is with my Bank (credit card provider), and my case is 1. Incorrect and Misleading product description and 2. Incorrect information provided by support staff.

Luckily I saved all the chat transcript and also took screenshot of product description at the time of purchase, plus the new description to prove Microsoft admitted to the misleading product description by changing it.

I would advise you to bring your case to PayPal/ your card issuer. If my card issuer reject my claim I will take it further to the Financial Ombudsmen.

Thanks for that! I thought that the description had changed, but didn’t take a screenshot at the time. Yeah, this is crazy. It should have been much more clear, and the support story you are receiving makes it even worse. “I just checked on my end…”. They don’t seem to know what’s going on either.

Just spent 3 hours on the phone with MS and Xbox support. The support rep finally told me, there’s nothing we can do, you should apply to your bank to get the money back.

The MS/Xbox rep said, “they had this problem with some other games too”. The rep saw the pictures of the description and also agreed that this description looks like it includes the base game.

Then he said that they can’t refund FlightSim credits anyway… What a load of BS.

Jeez. This sounds like a horrible marketing strategy. I hope MS gets their ■■■■ together because this is some pricing strat from a shady dealer on an ad-filled site, not Microsoft for god’s sake.

Yeah, now I have to try to see if Paypal will do anything, but they are another big company that wants to @#$ the little guy. I really doubt there is anything they will do.

Microsoft is upping the price for Game Pass now too… so it will be twice the cost to keep my FS2020 running. Or just buy it again… what a rip off.

I have exactly the same problem as you. I have pictures of the old description from my own and I found a lot of people with the same problem. I think we should team up and fight for this.

I work for a large company that spends millions per year with Microsoft, I wonder what our MS account rep will have to say about it.

If anyone has opened a service request for a refund or exchange PM me the number and I’ll pass it along to them.

Same problem here. Any chance u share the screenshot? Thx!

MS! your’re doing it wroung! Why pay 10 bucks for game pass, and 80 for delux and every next month another 10 bucks?

I have a claim with MS and Paypal to get my money back. I still got to have xbox game pass ultimate for 1 buck so I have a month of slack.

Real bummer!!!

The picture is this one

Did you got your money back? Microsoft won’t refund me no matter the proof I show to them.

I was refunded no problem at all. Customer Service put me through to Finance who refunded me the flight credit payment. No quibbles at all. Am in Europe so don’t know if that makes a difference. I decided to keep on with Game Pass. Not only now do I have the base game I have the super deluxe exapansion still showing as owned. I guess the problem MS have but are not telling is that with Flight Credits sitting in the middle then any refund cancels just the credits and not the thing they were used to buy. I did all this about three weeks ago.

Did you do the refund before the 14 days?

thanks for sharing. I have a claim running with MS and Paypal. Hope one of both will pay out.Have to wait 72 hours for any news.

good to hear! gets the hopes up :slight_smile:

Well, PayPal won’t refund the money either… Guess I’m SOL, so I bought the base game in hopes that the PayPal refund would come through and so I could cancel the useless game pass. In total I’m in for almost $200 cdn. But at least it’s a highly polished and stable sim. I mean today I had 1 flight that didn’t CTD.

Just spent a couple hours in VR in X-plane.

FS2020, she ain’t pretty, she just looks that way.