Massive GPU Usage spikes in MSFS 2020

Specs:
Zotac RTX 3080
Intel 13700KF
Corsair 5600MHz DDR5
ASUS 850W 80+ Platinum PSU

This is the only game I get this in. Benchmarking in 3DMark, Heaven, X-Plane, playing intensive games like RDR2 or Cyberpunk, I never get performance like this. Sometimes I can go for hours in the sim without this happening but once it starts it never stops until I restart. My GPU usage will drop so low that the sim is unplayable. I just had an approach into Newark that I had to autoland because I was getting 5 fps for 15-25 seconds at a time, 10 seconds of normal fps, then back to 5 fps, on repeat. I couldn’t record this in that moment, but I managed to get a video after I landed. (which was totally butchered because of being at either 5 fps or stuttering horribly)
This is the GPU usage after I landed. Again, I can run this sim, my pc is more than capable of doing so and around 70% of the time it runs fine, but the other 30% is composed of this: 20.48 MB file on MEGA

All my temperatures are fine, I’ve tried performing a DDU, reseating cables, reinstalling the sim, reinstalling windows, removing all addons, everything. Does anyone else with a fully capable system get this? Perhaps maybe this is a PSU issue? I used to own a 5600x and I don’t remember this happening with that CPU since it drew a lot less power, however when I check my wattage, I am usually around 450-500w when in MSFS, way less than 850.

1 Like

I’ve been having that today as well. This isn’t normal. Now I’m stuck at the installation manager.

Major stuttering issues currently for lots of people, I hope Asobo looks into it =(

A common tip is to reduce your Terrain LOD to 150 especially when flying airliners, the sim is CPU heavy so it will slow down when the CPU periodically loads new areas as you fly. So by reducing your Terrain LOD you should get smooth and stable frame rates.
I still have the old Intel 7700K and get fairly smooth performance with both TLOD and OLOD at 150.

This happens even when my terrain lod is at 10

As far as I’ve seen, unfortunately the stutters issue is happening to a lot of users and so far there isn’t an identified unique cause. Also a known issue is severe frame drop at airports.

Several solutions have been proposed but really there’s none that actually solves for everyone. For some people work, for some people they don’t work. Generally speaking the proposed solutions have been:

• Checking your internet connection (photogrammetry really uses a lot of bandwidth)
  • Disabling AI (particularly for the frames drops at airports), real traffic, etc
  • Disabling any real world traffic injectors
  • Reducing TLOD and OLOD to 150 and downwards
  • Checking if a mod is affecting the game by removing everything from Community
  • Clearing the rolling cache (this also between changes on other settings)

In my experience, it’s a trial and error process. For example I play supersampled at 140, in my case removing supersampling and playing at 100 gives me at most a 3fps difference so it’s not something that’s causing stutters or frame drops, but other users have reported good results.

All in all, it’s almost impossible to say “try this” and having any certainty, the only certain thing is that the frame drops and stutters are there for a lot of people, under different situations and setups.

Best,
Seb

Thanks for compiling that list. Unfortunately I’ve
tried all of those (and more) in the last couple of weeks (since this only startes recently) to no avail.

It looks like an issue with the VRAM usage. It jumps from 3GB to 7GB and quickly back to 3GB. This shouldn’t happen. As you look around textures are loaded and unloaded very quickly it seems, which causes the stutters.
Do you have texture pre-caching on low or something?

Adding to this, just in case set graphics at “high”, restart the game and see what happens. I have had some times issues while customizing settings, and from time to time I’ve needed to start from scratch by going to an untouched preset (as in High or Ultra) because of weird issue.

And missed the vram detail but I do agree those jumps in vram usage are kinda weird. I’m never below 7-10GB and normally around 10-14GB (this happens both on my old 206012GB and on my current 6800XT), and pretty stable (fluctuations occur between dep/arr and cruise).

pre-caching is set to ultra

The Asobo team needs to be made aware of this situation ASAP, I don’t know why this is happening all of a sudden.

Same here, GPU spikes to 100% every time i look around with track-IR. Never had this before. Changed some graphic settings, but no change. Guess it’s some sort of update-introduced issue.

UPDATE: Shortly after posting I noticed Nvidia broadcast would show massive gpu usage spikes at times. I have uninstalled it and have not experienced these frame drops since. I would use broadcast to cancel out background noise since I fly on speakers and talk to atc through a headset, but since Nvidia broadcast uses your gpu to do so, it caused massive gpu usage spikes which I think was the issue.

So I’ve been searching through forums and threads to find my issue and this forum matches my issue the best. First of all my specs: I9-13900k, RTX 4080, DDR5 64GB, msfs installed on a m.2 Gen 4. MSFS is in the Ultra preset with TLOD at 100 and OLOD at 100.

The issue:

When I’m at heavy airport like EGLL, KEWR, KLAX, or KDTW I get heavy stutters when moving my camera fast. When in the outside camera view and I pan my camera left and right I get GPU spikes and high ms, also the ground texture become blurry and my frames drop from around 90-100fps to 30-40. I have no clue what’s causing this?

Update It got a lot better with the 01.05.2023 Nvidia GeForce Experience Update!