Massive performance drops when memory required from GPU is more than available

Original thread on this has been closed, archived, and marked as fixed-on-live .

Only it hasn’t been fixed.

Many of us with 8GB of VRAM or less are still unable to use DX12 as it tried to overprovision VRAM.

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Doesn’t matter

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Doesn’t matter

Brief description of the issue:

Under DX12, the sim will allocate sometimes 50% or more VRAM than what is physically available on GPUs with 8GB or less, causing huge performance drops and stuttering.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Use DX12 with a GPU with 8GB of VRAM or less. Sim will routinely try to allocate 10GB or more of VRAM. Same area on DX11 will only use 4GB.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Ryzen 5950X, 64GB, RTC 3070Ti

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU10

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Asobo needs to reopen the VRAM overloaded issue as this has direct relations to the DX12 which needs so much of work that they just now own us! They need to look in to DX12 and bring a serious real deal update to it as I have not seen any but any works on dx12 or any additional deve blog advising or saying anything on dx12 development or how is it progressing and other thing is that I cannot see any work that they are “doing” being reflected in MSFS! At the moment I have seen thousands of people saying I want to enjoy and be able to use dx12 and it’s capabilities but due the VRAM issue and crashes lots of people just can’t still use DX12 and it’s beautiful advantages! Asobo must to tide their pants and start real deal work “MORE FOCUS” on DX12 as it’s the future and it’s the better! We must have we need and it will bring so much needed performance!

Me personally I have not had issue with the above OP VRAM running out but I seen stable use of 10GB in Sim

6 Likes

I’ve not had this issue on my 8GB 6600XT graphics card under normal circumstances on DX12, but it does happen without fail if I try to use FSR2.0 (which is supposed to reduce VRAM consumption). Since it seems I’m one of only two people in that bug report thread, you can have my vote here in hopes whatever change finally fixes it for you will have a side effect of fixing my problem as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

just using any payware aircraft or the A32NX from FBW in a complex area, as soon as VRAM goes above max, huge drop of FPS, sometimes it does not recover until looking in another direction

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Thanks for reopening this topic, as I was the original poster. Indeed, not solved yet. Impossible to use DX12 with only 8GB VRAM.

On top of that I’ve had 3 crashes in last hour and it happened each time I pushed an auto pilot button or MCDU.

DX11 , Longitude and FBW320, VR, 3080TI , i9-11900K

No idea what else to say. Is there any log we can send? (seems so pointless just saying I’ve had a crash)

Is this really a bug?
Wait 'til we get ray tracing… :laughing: