Massive updates fail

120Gb update takes a day to download, only to get stuck on the last package - spending over an hour to decompress.

When the update is cancelled and restarted - it begins again from the start. Where did all the data go?

I spend more time updating this game that playing it.

I can’t plan my activities due to these updates. I invited a friend of mine to come over to my place to try MSFS. He’s an airline pilot and I’m a remote area nurse, so our schedules don’t often align.

I had to cancel our catchup due to another lengthy update.

Topic moved into Community Support.

There is the clue – Its NOT the Internet, or the MS servers… you are getting the data, but your PC is having an issue de-compressing it.

Maybe some antivirus you have installed (ie Malware Bytes is notorious for bogging down MSFS decompression), or maybe some other issue with your PC.

Mechanical or solid state Drives ??
Makes an enormous difference …

1 Like

I also have had this issue of decompressing files getting stuck!!!. My solution is to always delete the file from the packages folder. Only delete the one that’s causing it to hang. Then restart the game and try again.

2 Likes

If you accept the liabilities, turning off Anti-Virus (especially Malware Bytes), when updating MSFS, may help significantly with decompression hangs … did 100% for me.

1 Like

If nothing helps,send me a pm.

Scott

SU’s are never that big … next time at the bottom of the update splash screen check that the packages path actually leads to where your packages actually sit. If not then click on it and browse to the containing folder before downloading.

1 Like

No additional anti-virus installed - just Windows Defender.

Only using SSDs.

Game worked yesterday after I renamed the community folder to “test_community”, and downloaded everything again, taking around 10 hours to complete and decompress.

Worked fine last evening and I managed to get some flight time in.

This morning, it’s time for another 163.24 Gb update once more. Our download speeds here in Australia are really poor, so it’s tedious.

It’s not Asobo’s fault - I work away, flying in and out for my job, so I only get to play a few days a month, and when two or more of those days are spent just getting the software to work, it’s just not worth my time.

Sorry for whingeing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you not read my post directly above yours, there’s really no need to download all your official files again. You could stop the download now and fix the issue but honestly I’ve been up all night (in europe) and honestly I’m too weary to walk you through it.
Next time don’t be afraid to ask.

1 Like