May have to redownload World Updates (SU5 hotfix1 & 2)

I learned in the forum that after each major update you may have to manually install the World Updates.
Some problems with SU5 graphics may be related to the lack of World Updates. And, in any case, you have paid for these World Updates, and you should know that when you update MSFS they may have to be re-downloaded.
In my case, after installing SU5 only the World Update Japan was already installed.
The others I had to install manually from the Marketplace within Microsoft Flight Simulator.

HOW TO INSTALL THE WORLD UPDATES FROM THE MARKETPLACE

(Some contents may have the word INSTALLED on the top left: it means that they are already installed and you don’t have to do anything else.
Other WORLD UPDATE may appear only with the word OWNED in the bottom right corner. It means you have them but they are not installed.
World Updates must be installed individually.)

• Click on a World Update that says OWNED only
  • Then click on GET AND DOWNLOAD
  • The download starts

—> Do not exit this window within the game because the download may be corrupted and start over again in a cyclic manner <—

• Wait for the end of the download and the following installation.
  • Repeat for all World Updates

If you go back to the MARKETPLACE section, the World Updates may still only be listed as OWNED, but if you click on FULL CATALOG, you should see INSTALLED.

2 Likes

I didn’t have to re-download the world updates at all.

1 Like

I have also never had to re-download the World Updates after an update. Updates like POIs etc. yes, but never the World Updates completely. I think there is a problem somewhere in the PC, Windows, firewall, virus scanner, user rights or the MFS installation.

Neither did I, but after a year of reading these here forums I think we’ve learned that different users encounter different problems in this game. Maybe @ilgrillo28 could edit the subject to a less controversial “may have to redownload”?

1 Like

Have you guys checked in your content manager for available updates? I had updates available for all world updates following SU5 installation.

1 Like

Sure. I do.

1 Like

I have never had to reinstall a world update after previous system or world updates.

But I have noted generic buildings in place of previous world update regional building types (specifically in Edinburgh) since the SU5 landed.

All of my world updates indicate INSTALLED.

When checking the files it seems that they were modified on SU5 install day.

Did SU5 push changes which then borked the world updates? What did they change? Did they need to nerf the textures to make them run on Xbox?

Will proceed through the rigmarole of uninstalling and reinstalling all manually - this seems such a flaky and convoluted way of doing things. It’s 2021, surely we have moved beyond ■■■■ install/update processes like this?

I have had to install at least one world update for some of the updates. For 1.18.13.0, everything installed in a different location than I had them originally installed. So, for 1.18.14.0, I removed and reinstalled everything, again, the where I wanted.

The main program is on C: drive and content on my D: drive. Both these drives are SSDs.

1 Like

Any possibility that this happens when MSFS2020 and its updates are installed on a hard drive other than the default HD? That’s the case for me, and the World Updates all show up as needing updates after SU5.

1 Like

So am I. I have MSFS on a dedicated SSD.

Some weird thing happened with update 1.18.15.0 as it re-downloaded the entire install in to another directory. First, I saw my disk space eaten up by the size of the install. Secondly, when I added something to the original Community folder it did not show up in the sim.

I ended up uninstalling the sim and re-installing into the old path.

Some where in the Forum I read that you can edit a config file and set the path. I am not sure how this file got edited in the first place, but it was not me.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.