Memory compression?

Has anyone else tried disabling Win 10 memory compression?

I’ve gotten VR running pertty smooth after a lot of tweaking. I even updated my BIOS and videocard firmware. I noticed under task manager, performance, memory that there was a separate memory usage number there for compressed. Never noticed that before. Did some digging and Win 10 compresses some data before storing in RAM. Then decompresses when needed. Not sure I wanted that overhead CPU workload.

Turns out you can turn that off. I have 32 GB anyway and it’s never fully filled.

Launch Windows Powershell in admin mode
enter “disable-mmagent -mc” [same but with “enable” sets it back]
exit powershell and reboot.

To check that it took, “get-mmagent”. Make sure memory compression shows “false”

It seemed less stuttery / pausy. It does reproject, but it’s not objectionable). Maybe my imagination so if someone else tries, please let me know. Am I seeing what I want to see, or is there something there?

System:
Asus ROG Max 12 Hero (latest BIOS)
10900k at 5.0 (HT off)
mild OC EVGA 3090 hydrid (latest firmware)
457.30 drivers
32 GB @ 4000 CL15 (XMP profile, no adjustments)
Reverb G2
OpenXR preview drivers
90 TAA in MSFS, 100 in OpenXR (custom render unchecked)
repro automatic
Game mode off
HAGS off

I’ve been testing with the Icon (nice n simple), figuring maybe I can get that one to run in VR ok. My last test (that was smooth) was with no weather at Ohare (and I have the payware scenery that’s a bit of strain on the system). I whipped my head all around while barnstorming over the field and couldn’t get it to stagger/stutter.

1 Like

This command disable the prefetch of program data.
It preloads data from disk so that when the program needs it, it has already been loaded from disk.
Important when using an HDD. With SSD it does significantly less.
The data is stored compressed in RAM.

“Disables application launch prefetching, operation recorder API functionality, and page combining”
MMAgent

Prefetching is the process of bringing data and code pages into memory from disk before it’s demanded. Prefetching is a feature, introduced in Windows XP that monitors the data and code accessed during application startups and uses that information at the beginning of subsequent startups to read the code and data proactively in an efficient manner to improve performance.

Prefetch data per application is stored as .pf files under the \Windows\Prefetch directory. For the cases where the file access pattern for the same application startup (i.e. process or executable) is consistently different, prefetching can be not as efficient because it cannot build up a consistent history. In Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8, prefetch will have a new feature that allows applications to specify a parameter to distinguish specific application startup “modes” versus regular application startups. The system would maintain separate .pf files for each parameter (1-8, 0 being the default pf file) specified.

1 Like

I’m not disabling prefetch, I’m disabling memory compression.

I disabled memory compression some time ago. Can’t say I’ve noticed any benefit nor drawbacks. Also running with 32GB

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.