METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

To be fair, if the API allows for things like REX Weather Force to correctly inject weather data into the sim without being stuck with manipulating presets, (which causes deal-breaking, FSX-like global changes when you cross from a weather “zone” to another) then the whole thing becomes someone else’s problem.

And I guarantee that this “someone” will have myself and many others as customers, if they can realize an external Live-Weather app that makes full use of the Sim’s weather rendering capability in a consistent way. (i.e: It’d have to work seamlessly, without any “zone transitions” - This is the one big reason I’ve eschewed REX-WF so far)

Whether this is done through an official API, or even if it is achieved by other means, this is clearly a case where there is much demand and no supply.

That is to say, many of us are willing to pay (as we have done in the past for previous sims) for a consistent high-quality live weather system. Sadly, this is something the game had almost as a built in feature before SU7, but then people wanted nature to match VatSim, and that led to the woefully unsatisfactory addition of the METAR Blending system, which not only fails to ensure weather matches reports, but also causes a massive degradation of quality when compared to unblended weather.

If no intention exists of allowing this detrimental tradeoff to be disabled by user preference, then at least there should be means for an external app to be used as a replacement.

It is therefore our highest hopes that such upcoming weather API offers enough access so that 3rd party devs can fully override the wx data being fed into the sim.

I’d make this request into a wishlist item, but that’d be redundant, as it is already there and currently holds upwards of a thousand votes: Open up the weather system to 3rd party devs

5 Likes