MFS2020 CRASH PC with ZOTAC 3070 OC

My Zotac 3070 OC at default settings works fine with all eavy graphics games, but as soon as i click start at any Airport (even at LOW graphics settings) , PC crashes and Windows restars … The only thing i can do is to dowgrade CPU Clock 30% less with Firestorm utility and FS2020 goes ok. Latest 3DMark graphic scores is 11872 wich is supposed to be very good. My PSU is Corsair VS 650 Watt… Is there anyone with similar issues???
Any suggestion or solution will be much appreciated,

I have a Zotac 3080 OC, and at first I tried to use it with my 650 W power supply. It worked fine on windows, but crashed as soon as I tried to load the simulator.

The problem was solved as soon as I installed a EVGA 750W power supply.

That 3070 consumes less than the 3080, but what you describe is very consistent with an overtaxed power supply, particularly if it works when underclocked.

1 Like

Thanks for quick reply…
Going to buy more powerful PSU hoping to solve.
Why does microsoft not warn customers about the minimum hardware specifications after the arrival of the RTX 3000 graphics cards ?

Why would microsoft have to warn you about that? The RTX cards clearly show a power requirement in the specs. It’s up to you to make sure your PSU can handle it.
Microsoft can’t be held accountable for errors users make (and this goes for any software vendors). That’s entirely up to you.

4 Likes

That it’s not the case. Microsoft minimum requiremants is a PSU 650W … and every other game is working fine…

I was about to say the same thing. If you’re going to buy an RTX 30 series you should make sure your PSU is powerful enough.

I ordered my RTX 2080 earlier in the year. A few minutes after ordering, it occurred to me that I might need a better psu, so had to place a second order.
I now use a 1000w psu, ready for when I upgrade to a 3000 series or whichever.

Regards
Steve

1 Like

Unfortunately, the specifications required by these graphics cards are in the 650 to 750 watt range

Show me where?

3 Likes

I didn’t know Microsoft listed any minimum PSU requirements?

If they did though… it would be as you say… the “minimum” - designed to be used with the minimum required graphics card (not a 3070)

Regards
Steve

How to disable BSOD automatic restart.

What? :smiley:

Recommended Power Supply 650W

1 Like

I’m curious to what’s the rating on your current PSU.Thing is you can have a 650w powering the 3070 and it works completely fine then another one with a poor efficiency that doesn’t necessarily give you the full 650w.Get a better quality PSU 80+gold or platinum from a reputable brand 750w for a little more headroom.

1 Like

I really appreciate all your advice and tomorrow I’m going to buy a Corsair 1200 watt platinum for safety !.

2 Likes

Just because it says 650W on the unit does not mean that it can keep that current constant, you need a quality PSU at least Gold standard.

3 Likes

It´s also worth noting that theese cards not only can consume a lot, but also can change from almost nothing to full power in a really short time, almost instantly.

So, it´s not only about the advertised “raw power” of the PSU, but also about its quality and condition (capacitors age with time, and not all of them are equally good) to cope with very sharp changes in power draw.

So, don´t think only about watts, but also about efficiency and capacitor quality.

3 Likes

LIkely PSU. 650W is the BARE MINIMUM anyone should realistically have these days if you’re running a higher end GPU. The 3000 series are very power hungry. It’s likely other games aren’t pushing your GPU and CPU the way MSFS are. That’s why they work and MSFS crashes your system.

1 Like

tomorrow I will purchase a more powerful power supply. I will post the final verdict.

2 Likes

Remember that whatever is listed in specs as a “minimum requirement” is the minimum required to get something to work. If it’s under load, chances are the minimum won’t do it. Whatever the minimum is, ALWAYS go above that.

For example, the minimum GPU required by MSFS is a GTX 770. It will run on that, but good luck actually playing it.

1 Like

with underclocked GPU clock from 1755 to 1300 FS20 in ULTRA settings reaches 30-45 fps that is not bad. But the only few times that it started at 1755 fps reached 60-70 before crashing PC. That’s why i suspected about PSU at the beginning… Since i’m going to get a Reverb G2 as soon as they are available your suggestions are most welcome…

650w is overkill for a 3070. If your PSU is decent this has nothing to do with your crashes. They use 250 watt max under normal circumstances and a 100watt cpu and you have lots of headroom.

Even fully overclocked alongside my overclocked 4790k I would suggest a 450w could manage. I might still try the one I upgraded recently to 650w for my 3070.

Is your CPU overclocked? Have you tried using afterburner to limit your GPU power instead of the cpu underclock?..actually I now see you tried this.

If your system still fails with the cpu at normal settings and your GPU underclocked then it could be your PSU.

If not, your CPU might have found a game that shows it to be unstable.

Don’t buy a new PSU without testing further.

Gold is only efficiency. A bronze PSU is fine if of the required wattage and amps